Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Estro

Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis. Best RB Prospect.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

 

Many of the defenses Memphis played against were utterly putrid & I've taken that into account, but I think this kid is going to be really good in the NFL.  

He's quick, fast, and has great vision and contact balance.  He also wastes no motion and explodes north south in a hurry.  He has the type of juice I'd love to see added to the Bills offense this year.  In Year 1, he could be a special teams demon & I believe a real contributor on offense.  Think 100-120 touches on offense for 500-650 yards with plenty of explosive plays sprinkled in.  Just what the doctor ordered!

 

He reminds me of Devonta Freeman, coming out of FSU.  They have almost identical frames and similar hair on fire running styles, although Henderson's 40 yard, vertical & broad jump all show he's a bit faster and more explosive.  One potential downside is Henderson has fairly small hands for a RB, which always brings up fumble worries.

 

Top of the 2nd round is a little too early for him, but I'm not sure he's available when we pick in the 3rd.  I'd love to trade down in the 1st and pick up an additional 2nd rounder in order to maneuver for Henderson.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is with the offensive line guys that we have brought in it seems we are going to be a man power team not a zone. I’m not sure if Henderson fits into that as he is more of a zone runner. 

 

I really like him, he is one of my fav RB prospects as well but looking from the outside I don’t see a match . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

My problem is with the offensive line guys that we have brought in it seems we are going to be a man power team not a zone. I’m not sure if Henderson fits into that as he is more of a zone runner. 

 

I really like him, he is one of my fav RB prospects as well but looking from the outside I don’t see a match . 


can you shed some light on man/power vs zone for some of us that don't know what you're talking about? I understand man/zone defences, not blocking schemes though.

and do Miles Sanders and Rodney Anderson run man or zone? 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, c-troop said:


can you shed some light on man/power vs zone for some of us that don't know what you're talking about? I understand man/zone defences, not blocking schemes though.

and do Miles Sanders and Rodney Anderson run man or zone? 

The blocking schemes dont effect the RB as much as they do the OL, they do have some effect though.  

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, c-troop said:


can you shed some light on man/power vs zone for some of us that don't know what you're talking about? I understand man/zone defences, not blocking schemes though.

and do Miles Sanders and Rodney Anderson run man or zone? 

 

Sure man, power man schemes are big on big blocking, more double and slipping to the LBs and driving guys off the ball. Basically your trying to isolate certain members of a defense. It involves more offensive lineman pulling and leading forva RB.  A designated hole for the RB to run through. 

 

A zone scheme is more of a finesse system where you occupy an area on the defense and take the defender that comes in your area where they want to go. Your basically just trying to get in the way of a defender.  Offensive lineman tend to be a little lighter in the pants but not always. This tends to mean that there isn’t a designated hole to run through. The RB has to cut and read off of the lines blocks. 

 

This if you recall became an issue for the Bills a couple years ago when McDermott took the job. The Bills were running man schemes under Rex Ryan to a great deal of success. I believe we were top 5 in rushing. Then McDermott comes on and hires Rick Dennison who is known as a zone blocking scheme guy and the Bills fell off a cliff in the rushing statistics because they didn’t have the personnel up front to be a zone team. That’s when Incognito and them started complaining saying they needed to run more man schemes and mixed both in. 

 

You can clearly see in the highlights that 90% of what Memphis does upfront is inside and outside zone. A perfect fit for a guy like Henderson who is less powerful and more of a shifty runner. On the other hand s guy like Bryce Love has run man schemes his entire time at Stanford. 

 

If you want to see a visual difference, watch Bryce Love highlights vs Darrell Henderson but watch what they do upfront. Wisconsin as well

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Confused 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, well, it sounds like zone RB's should be able to adapt to power man schemes much easier than a power man RB adapting to a zone scheme, but I can see how that could create an issue. Thank you for being thorough about it! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

 

Sure man, power man schemes are big on big blocking, more double and slipping to the LBs and driving guys off the ball. Basically your trying to isolate certain members of a defense. It involves more offensive lineman pulling and leading forva RB.  A designated hole for the RB to run through. 

 

A zone scheme is more of a finesse system where you occupy an area on the defense and take the defender that comes in your area where they want to go. Your basically just trying to get in the way of a defender.  Offensive lineman tend to be a little lighter in the pants but not always. This tends to mean that there isn’t a designated hole to run through. The RB has to cut and read off of the lines blocks. 

 

This if you recall became an issue for the Bills a couple years ago when McDermott took the job. The Bills were running man schemes under Rex Ryan to a great deal of success. I believe we were top 5 in rushing. Then McDermott comes on and hires Rick Dennison who is known as a zone blocking scheme guy and the Bills fell off a cliff in the rushing statistics because they didn’t have the personnel up front to be a zone team. That’s when Incognito and them started complaining saying they needed to run more man schemes and mixed both in. 

 

You can clearly see in the highlights that 90% of what Memphis does upfront is inside and outside zone. A perfect fit for a guy like Henderson who is less powerful and more of a shifty runner. On the other hand s guy like Bryce Love has run man schemes his entire time at Stanford. 

 

If you want to see a visual difference, watch Bryce Love highlights vs Darrell Henderson but watch what they do upfront. Wisconsin as well

Yes a shifty runner will not have success in a Man/Power Scheme.  That is why McCoy did so poorly under Roman...Oh wait, never mind.😉

 

As you can see from this post it had a strong effect on the Oline.  The only thing that effected McCoy was the fact that his Oline didnt fit the Scheme. 

 

As a matter of fact Arian Foster was a one cut and go RB pretty much and played most of his career in a zone scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

all highlights against weak teams....

 

show me a guy putting up 4-6 apc against the SEC/ BIG 10/ BIG 12 etc..

Edited by RocCityRoller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Does it bother anyone that he blew off his bowl game to “focus” on the draft?

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

all highlights against weak teams....

 

show me a guy putting up 4-6 apc against the SEC/ BIG 10/ BIG 12 etc..

 

They played Mizz in 2018.  15 yards on 4 carries.  Skipped chance to play Wake Forrest in bowl game.

Edited by BillsfaninSB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked him from afar but am cooling on him now.  Some gaudy stats but level of competition and some Ds in bad fronts cause for long TD runs.  He did not have startling Explosive (Vertical, Broad jump) numbers at combine. 

 

Only 5'8" tall and very short arms so pass protection will be a big issue in the pros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backs are a dime a dozen, I don't see the Bills going for a RB before day three.  I think Henderson will be gone before the Bills would have him as BPA.  I also think the Bills will see other needs as more pressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im rather intrigued by Justice Hill as well. 

Theres some excellent mid round talent in this draft. 

I feel like Bryce Love is our guy tho. 

He was great too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, this kid stands out for sure.  There are a few RBs I like in this draft, he's definitely one of them.

7 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

all highlights against weak teams....

 

show me a guy putting up 4-6 apc against the SEC/ BIG 10/ BIG 12 etc..

 

I mean, in reality the teams in these conferences face 2 or 3 good defenses a year.  It's not like they are top to bottom stellar defenses or anything.  I mean, the Big12 sucks at defense top to bottom.  There really isn't that big of a difference unless you are going up against Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State and maybe one or two more per conference.  And even then, you don't necessarily play against all those teams in your conference.  Remember too, he's also playing behind a much worse line than you get with those schools.

Edited by Mark80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justice Hill would be my choice if the Bills are looking for a young explosive running back, but we'll get who we get, or nobody at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Guy looks like a clone of Kareem Hunt.  I’d take him in the 3d without batting an eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...