FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in college-entrance bribery scheme

dpberr

meh.  people using money, fame or power to get what they want.  isn't that how it's always worked?  i'm not saying it's right at all, but welcome to reality.  i even give money to my high school and college now with hopes that it may very slightly help my kids get in if they ever want to.  it's a complete drop in the bucket in comparison, (and legal), but i'm just not that interested in this as news.  especially the level of coverage it's getting.

10 hours ago, Wacka said:

I worked at Stanford while Chelsea went there. Undergrad was a joke. At the time you could resign from a class the last week of the semester and it didn't appear on the transcript.  If you flunked a class, you could take it over again and the flunk would not appear.  It was well known around the campus that Chelsea would get ****faced every weekend at the DKE parties.

who GAF?  seriously.  

Who didn't get F'd up in college?   

Have you seen the pictures of the Bush girls in college?   

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

You’re spewing logical disjunction. It was allowed at Stanford therefore Chelsea did it. She got drunk on weekends therefore she was a bad student. Any proof? And yet Trump took measures to make sure his grades wouldn’t be made public. Sounds like you’re the one who failed logic in math class. ?

I hear those transcripts are  well guarded from the public eye 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

who GAF?  seriously.  

Who didn't get F's up in college?   

u seen the pictures of the Bush girls in college?   

I agree with you SBF. Kids party at college.

The thing I don't understand is the hostility to the poster. Did he declare Chelsea to be a p.o.s.? He really did not. He shared a life experience that I found to be somewhat interesting.

I didn't realize how popular the Clintons are. Its almost as if comments about them are taken as an insult to someone's deity.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree with you SBF. Kids party at college.

The thing I don't understand is the hostility to the poster. Did he declare Chelsea to be a p.o.s.? He really did not. He shared a life experience that I found to be somewhat interesting.

I didn't realize how popular the Clintons are. Its almost as if comments about them are taken as an insult to someone's deity.

Some people can't keep politics out of discussions.     

To some the Clinton's are the Anti Christ.  

When it comes to trashing someone based on their parents political affiliation ...   Follow this --- He who is w/o sin cast the first stone.  

Because every one does something or other that will seem shady.  No political party is immune.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Some people can't keep politics out of discussions.     

To some the Clinton's are the Anti Christ.  

When it comes to trashing someone based on their parents political affiliation ...   Follow this --- He who is w/o sin cast the first stone.  

Because every one does something or other that will seem shady.  No political party is immune.  

Absolutely!

Not sure if this link has been referenced yet, didn't see it, but found this quite ironic that the show that made Aunt Becky famous hit this close to home on the subject...

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/lori-loughlin-s-charges-resurfaces-full-house-school-admission-scheme-n982691

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

You’re spewing logical disjunction. It was allowed at Stanford therefore Chelsea did it. She got drunk on weekends therefore she was a bad student. Any proof? And yet Trump took measures to make sure his grades wouldn’t be made public. Sounds like you’re the one who failed logic in math class. ?

Total nonsense.  It was NEVER ‘allowed’ at Stanford.  Legal age has always been 21 in California.

The fact that Chelsea was a teenaged alcoholic seems to have escaped you, just like her dad “never inhaled”.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, KD in CA said:

I think this case speaks volumes about the impact of big money in our system of higher education while also being a sad commentary on the modern day inclination of parents to prioritize a 'win at all costs' mentality over setting an example for their children of acting in an ethical and honest manner.

I'm sorry....did you say something??

On 3/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, dpberr said:

A confidential informant told investigators that he advised Huffman he could arrange for a third party to correct her daughter's answers on the SAT after she took it.

That would be entrapment if an official offered that service, no? But since it's an informant, its gotcha.

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not sure if this link has been referenced yet, didn't see it, but found this quite ironic that the show that made Aunt Becky famous hit this close to home on the subject...

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/lori-loughlin-s-charges-resurfaces-full-house-school-admission-scheme-n982691

Too funny!  I have a lot of nostalgia for 90s stuff but never cared for that show then or now.  

It's amusing that so many think this case is people bribing colleges to get their children in, and that proves there's no "meritocracy."

When it's people paying to have their children's records faked and defraud the schools, because their halfwit kids couldn't succeed in the "meritocracy."

• Like (+1) 2

This has been going on FOREVER!  Look at all the campus buildings that are named for "benefactors."  Don't forget all the under the table "contributions" to keep kids in school, and out of Viet Nam.  This may be on a grander level but, essentially, it's never been news before, just something  everyone was aware of.

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This has been going on FOREVER!  Look at all the campus buildings that are named for "benefactors."  Don't forget all the under the table "contributions" to keep kids in school, and out of Viet Nam.  This may be on a grander level but, essentially, it's never been news before, just something  everyone was aware of.

I wonder if this would have even been a story if it didnt involve 2 Hollywood families. But because theres people involved that are 'celebrities', it's taking over the media and made out to be a huge deal.

4 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

No, it's a completely different thing.  

Giving money to schools so you can get in is permissible.  This is paying money to a "service" that defrauds schools with false academic and athletic records.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

No, it's a completely different thing.  

Giving money to schools so you can get in is permissible.  This is paying money to a "service" that defrauds schools with false academic and athletic records.  

This is the rare case where the media/public reaction is not overstating the scandal.  If many people don’t end up in prison over this I’ll be pretty disappointed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.