Imagine this team with an elite te

14 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If the AB trade is true man imagine this team with an Irv Smith Jr or a TJ Hockenson friends we might just be able to score more then 30 points a couple times a season 

If we swap 1st rds and can pick up Hock at 20 that would be amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

If we swap 1st rds and can pick up Hock at 20 that would be amazing.

Id rather take Juwain Taylor at 9, and bundleour 2nd with one other pick to move up to 1st even two picks to get either TE from Iowa.  We have 2 fours, fives and sevens.  Somebody would be willing to make that trade, but it will be at the last minute.

I can’t imagine the stress on that day for Beane and McD.

• Like (+1) 1

only certain offenses are designed to get big production out of the TE's.   Indy, Philly, KC, NE etc.

I don't think we're one of them, and I don't see us picking a TE high for that reason.   I think Croom will be our starting TE next year and do fine.

Give me the killer Oline, a young runner who can catch passes and learn from Shady, and one more WR we will be set.

• Like (+1) 1

Jesse James and Croom would be a good tandem.  As Webster Guy noted, this is a team that goes more vertical than intermediate passing routes.  We could have 2 good TE's, and go after some speed guys in FA and the draft.  

Although Hock would be a James type player (blocker, catcher) with better catching ability.  

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

only certain offenses are designed to get big production out of the TE's.   Indy, Philly, KC, NE etc.

I don't think we're one of them, and I don't see us picking a TE high for that reason.   I think Croom will be our starting TE next year and do fine.

Give me the killer Oline, a young runner who can catch passes and learn from Shady, and one more WR we will be set.

I think Daboll wants to utilize TEs ala NE/Philly he just doesn't have the guys for it. All of his pedigree indicates he wants to use the TE. If we invest in the TE position via FA / draft I think we will see an offense here that DOES utilize the TE. 

I agree though I want a killer o-line, that opens up and improves the run and pass obviously. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen too many busts at that position in the 1st round. I'm fine with going high but

a) bust rate at TEs are high, investments between rounds 1-3 pretty much show the same returns

b) TE is entirely on the quarterback's preference. If that's his safety blanket and not an RB or slot WR. See Jimmy Graham's or Zach Ertz's production completely change with different quarterbacks

c) Jesse James is really as good as you can ask for given the bust rate above.

There's really only 3 elite TEs right now. So many things need to go right to have the kind of production you're wanting. And I don't like those odds

• Like (+1) 1

Have the Bills EVER had even a "Very good" TE? LOL it's kinda weird.

I mean Keith McKeller and Pete Metzelaars were pretty good for a short time, but not really close to a top player at their position.

Beyond those guys and a couple stragglers, we've had some historically bad TE's.

to add to my previous thought, I would love to see us end up with Hock from Iowa. Not sure what spot is right for him though. #9 feels too early with all the DL/LB talent but its hard to say.

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I've seen too many busts at that position in the 1st round. I'm fine with going high but

a) bust rate at TEs are high, investments between rounds 1-3 pretty much show the same returns

b) TE is entirely on the quarterback's preference. If that's his safety blanket and not an RB or slot WR. See Jimmy Graham's or Zach Ertz's production completely change with different quarterbacks

c) Jesse James is really as good as you can ask for given the bust rate above.

There's really only 3 elite TEs right now. So many things need to go right to have the kind of production you're wanting. And I don't like those odds

Exactly - while I don't doubt Hock is one of the top, if not best, TE in the draft. That doesn't equate to a #9 overall value, nor does it immediately translate to success in the NFL. Ebron is a great recent example who had trouble in his first couple years and is now starting to turn a page, but still has ways to go before he's considered an "elite" TE. 

But as elite RBs are made so by the scheme and play of the OL - TE's are equally made so by the QB and their preference. Yes, you can extend this to most every position, and a TE can be an elite blocker all on their own, but to complete the package for players like Gronk, Kelce, etc. they need to have the target numbers to produce results. If a QB doesn't like the TE option or routes, or prefers a different target you get a Jimmy Graham like transition. 

Do we need a TE on this team? Yes. Does it need to be Hock? No. Does the TE need to come in the first round or even second? No. There are many ways to skin this one, but first round in the draft would not be top among them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Hockenson would be a terrific asset for Allen.  Plus, his blocking is A+.   I think they're taking him and I would be delighted. We can still have a great Oline with Williams, Paradis and a guard in the 2nd.  Hopefully, we can trade a bit and still get him.