Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Reed83HOF

On 3/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Very sad to hear. I believe that he and the late Art Fleming are the only two people to ever host Jeopardy! 

Sending love and good thoughts his way.

Coincidentally, Art died of pancreatic cancer.

Edited by Steve O

17 hours ago, The Senator said:

My understanding is that pancreatic cancer is the 2nd most aggressive after glioblastoma, so he’s in for a difficult fight.

yup, I think Patrick Swayze stretched it out awhile longer than usual

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

He has told people that he only uses "pure" heroin so he knows what he's getting.......

I hope Alex beats this somehow. 

lots of rumours of a certain major pharma company supplying pure product to help fuel US tours

as well Keith has stated he knew when he had reached his high from a fix and never went any further in trying to rise beyond it.

hear him now, believe him later...

45 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So that explains all the good seats, reserved skyboxes, and satin jackets for those pharmacists.

not sure if that was a thing in the 1970s....

couldna be that many luxury seats at The El Macombo

A buddy of mine had pancreatic cancer in his early 20s. I'm not sure what stage it was, but they ended up doing exploratory surgery and getting it all. Hes almost 60 now and has been cancer free ever since and we meet for happy hour most Fridays.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, row_33 said:

not sure if that was a thing in the 1970s....

I wasn’t sure how contemporary a thing the supposed supplying of Keith Richards was.  I haven’t kept up on the Stones tours over the years.  Nowadays, when you hear heroin and purity, you tend to think of recent problems with alteration of the drug with dangerous substances.

14 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wasn’t sure how contemporary a thing the supposed supplying of Keith Richards was.  I haven’t kept up on the Stones tours over the years.  Nowadays, when you hear heroin and purity, you tend to think of recent problems with alteration of the drug with dangerous substances.

the tours of 1972 and 1975 would be the most likely

He was busted in Toronto in early 1977, which I can believe was a turning point on managing to survive to today.

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the tours of 1972 and 1975 would be the most likely

He was busted in Toronto in early 1977, which I can believe was a turning point on managing to survive to today.

I heard rumors that he was so strung out during that Toronto stop that he was rolling on the floor screaming, and couldn’t rehearse or take the stage until Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman went and scored some heroin for him.

After the bustin addition to treatment, he was sentenced to perform a benefit for the blind, which was moved to Oshawa due to ticket demand.

Being pretty sure that the Stones would show up, my brother and slept out on Easter at Young and Bloor to score tickets.  Sure enough, after Keith and his New Barbarians finished their set, Jaggar, Watts, and Wyman joined Keith and Ron Wood for a 2-hour set...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/stones-serve-out-keith-richards-sentence-191169/

Anyway, Keith swears he’s off the horse, both in his book and on every talk show he’s appeared.  But, on one recent talk show he was asked if there’s anything he misses about his younger days, and he replied, “Heroin.”

Now, he claims he’s also recently given up drinking.

It is truly amazing, given all his proclivities, that he has not succumbed to an OD, hepatitis, lung cancer, or cirrhosis.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A buddy of mine had pancreatic cancer in his early 20s. I'm not sure what stage it was, but they ended up doing exploratory surgery and getting it all. Hes almost 60 now and has been cancer free ever since and we meet for happy hour most Fridays.

That's always a great story to hear and hopefully gives some hope to folks facing these challenges.  I do have to wonder, however, if your friend had a neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas.  Much different conversation than adenocarcinoma of the pancreas which carries the very aggressive/poor prognosis.  Here's hoping Mr. Trebek has the former variety.  

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

I heard rumors that he was so strung out during that Toronto stop that he was rolling on the floor screaming, and couldn’t rehearse or take the stage until Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman went and scored some heroin for him.

After the bustin addition to treatment, he was sentenced to perform a benefit for the blind, which was moved to Oshawa due to ticket demand.

Being pretty sure that the Stones would show up, my brother and slept out on Easter at Young and Bloor to score tickets.  Sure enough, after Keith and his New Barbarians finished their set, Jaggar, Watts, and Wyman joined Keith and Ron Wood for a 2-hour set...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/stones-serve-out-keith-richards-sentence-191169/

Anyway, Keith swears he’s off the horse, both in his book and on every talk show he’s appeared.  But, on one recent talk show he was asked if there’s anything he misses about his younger days, and he replied, “Heroin.”

Now, he claims he’s also recently given up drinking.

It is truly amazing, given all his proclivities, that he has not succumbed to an OD, hepatitis, lung cancer, or cirrhosis.

He says he has been clean for awhile, his definition of clean may vary from most mortal beings.

good recap of simpler days!