Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Reed83HOF

On 3/7/2019 at 4:08 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

A buddy of mine had pancreatic cancer in his early 20s. I'm not sure what stage it was, but they ended up doing exploratory surgery and getting it all. Hes almost 60 now and has been cancer free ever since and we meet for happy hour most Fridays.

Congrats to your friend!  Saw a local news report that Roswell has ‘cured’ a few patients, though I’m not sure how they confirm that since there is no blood test for tumor markers as of yet.

Since Alex Trebec’s announcement, this topic has actually gotten some attention from the media. Not as much attention as Jussie Smollett or R. Kelly, but some - which is good.

Edited by The Senator

I've know several persons who died from it.  persons with diabetes have to be particularly wary.  It's the same organ, and sometimes early symptoms are impossible to distinguish from issues connected with diabetes.  That's what happened to my next door neighbor.  From diagnosis to death was about 6 weeks.

The pancreas has two types of cells.  The majority of it  produces digestive juices. The smaller portion, the Islets of Langerhans are small clumps of cells that produce insulin. 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I often wonder why when you have all the money you will ever need(and then some), why not retire and enjoy life while you have your health.  You never know what the next day may hold.  

Really sad.   :(

I suspect he’s doing exactly what he finds most enjoyable right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I often wonder why when you have all the money you will ever need(and then some), why not retire and enjoy life while you have your health.  You never know what the next day may hold.  

Really sad.   :(

If my wife were to stop doing her job, there would be a huge void in her life. Her work is a passion that drives her. 

I have to admit, I’m “retired”, and I need to get better at it. It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. You need something you are passionate about, be it work, hobby or volunteering. 

I’m sure he does it for the love of the work. Everybody is different. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

If my wife were to stop doing her job, there would be a huge void in her life. Her work is a passion that drives her. 

I have to admit, I’m “retired”, and I need to get better at it. It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. You need something you are passionate about, be it work, hobby or volunteering. 

I’m sure he does it for the love of the work. Everybody is different. 

It took my Dad a couple years to figure out retirement, then I think it was the best time of his life.

My Mom didn’t stop working until she could physically no longer stand up from ALS.

• Sad 1