Bills hire away Dolphins Director of Analytics

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If there’s one team that has been masterful at their use of analytics it’s the Dolphins (sarcasm font).

All the analytics in the world get blown up by a nut job owner......Stephen Ross = Dan Snyder

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would an analytics guy be involved in contract negotiations? The cap has nothing to do with his job.

You have no idea what his job was, how much influence he had, if he was respected, what good or bad moves he was involved in, etc. You can't just make such rash inferences without any information whatsoever.

He took a job with a division rival. That to me says he was not super happy there,Cor happy with the direction the organization was heading.

Analytics guys are using numbers and data to group players. They are using data to predict future performance based on certain traits. The only thing that we know are the results. It was a disaster in the Dolphins case. You don’t know if he had a lot or a little involvement. You do know that the results were bad. 

If he had had a little involvement that is a problem to me. I haven’t been in sports in almost 7 years but our analytics people had a big say. I can’t possibly see that being less now than it was then. There is so much more information and training for the role.

The point is that we don’t know if he is bad or good. We know the results of his previous situation were bad. It is VERY fair to assume that he played a role in that. We just don’t know how big of a role.

5 minutes ago, JoeF said:

All the analytics in the world get blown up by a nut job owner......Stephen Ross = Dan Snyder

This is fair.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he had no say, that is a problem. If he had a say, he did a bad job. EVERY analytics person has a voice in today’s professional sports.

Gase didn’t pick players. This guys likely had as much to do with that as Gase. Now they are talking about tearing it down.

I doubt this guy had much to do with Gase alienating their best RB, WR, and getting rid of Suh. And that great run they had in bringing in Cutler.

Gase had a ton to do with the lack of talent down there and personnel decisions. That's why he is gone.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

48 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

According to the good doctor himself in the video Yolo posted, neither of these posts are correct. His job is not 'just to run the numbers,' it's to come to conclusions based on those statistical models. And yes, he is involved with player acquisition/team-building.

He is not a decision maker. He can come to whatever conclusions he wants about players, schemes, etc, but the coaches, GM, and management may or may not follow those conclusions.

Nerds

But seriously, good for nerds for getting involved in football.  I think the key is finding the balance between analytics and old fashion scouting.  Sites like PFF have value but they often are very flawed in their analysis (not knowing playcalls or assignments for individual players is a big one).  Also, in an emotional game like football, blind numbers don’t work like they do in baseball.

still, what can it hurt if used in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I wonder if he is concerned that EJ had better stats his rookie year than Josh Allen did.

? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nerds

But seriously, good for nerds for getting involved in football.  I think the key is finding the balance between analytics and old fashion scouting.  Sites like PFF have value but they often are very flawed in their analysis (not knowing playcalls or assignments for individual players is a big one).  Also, in an emotional game like football, blind numbers don’t work like they do in baseball.

still, what can it hurt if used in a vacuum.

?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

According to the good doctor himself in the video Yolo posted, neither of these posts are correct. His job is not 'just to run the numbers,' it's to come to conclusions based on those statistical models. And yes, he is involved with player acquisition/team-building.

He indicated that his role is similar to that of a scout, in terms of the weight of his voice. He does his part in terms of analytics and attributing meaning to the personnel and football decisions but he’s just presenting it to the decision makers as one of many pieces of data. What isn’t known is how much the Miami FO followed his recommendations. That’s the only way to determine how much he contributed to their success/talent or lack thereof. you can say the same of any member of the FO underneath the GM (or Gase in this case who had control over the 53) because that is whose name is tied to every decision.  

Hickey hired him in Miami and must think he’s good. Some teams don’t invest in analytics at all - like the chargers - so it’s a nice thing to have.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Does anyone know what this guy has that the prior MIT guy (who was fired) did not have . . . or was this just a case of firing a guy that was hired by someone else and bringing on someone else?

Buffalo Bills Hired MIT Grad Mike Lyons in 2013

My read on a superficial search was the old guy was a former Xerox market and pricing analytics guy.

This new one seem like a football analytics guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Does anyone know what this guy has that the prior MIT guy (who was fired) did not have . . . or was this just a case of firing a guy that was hired by someone else and bringing on someone else?

Buffalo Bills Hired MIT Grad Mike Lyons in 2013

Lyons wasn’t hired to do football analytics. This guy has a sports analytics background. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/25/bills-axe-analytics-staff/amp/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I think McB know what they're doing and what they want.  I don't know if what they're doing will get the results we want, but they have a well defined idea  of what they are doing and who they want. 

So the fact that this guy comes from a franchise that hasn't had a lot of success doesn't bother me.  The guy wouldn't be coming if he didn't buy what McB are doing, and they wouldn't have taken him if he didn't look like a fit. 

The montage of perspectives on this thread convinces me no one is an authority on analytics. Not even PHD’s.

I’m not knocking it, it’s ‘brain analyzing stuff’, so it’s subject to interpretation. I hope he does well for us -however that’s assessed..