Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

18 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Well, I hear what all of you are saying, but the same group of players ran Bylsma out of town and now are running Housley out of town. That can't be coincidence.

Can't blame the players, horrible coaches and GMs. The proof is already in that it's not the players and never has been. Buffalo gets rid of players and they do very well everywhere else. It is the HC and GM.

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He is far from the most probable successor.

If Phil is fired, I would hope Pegula would learn from his failures and go with a much more seasoned, veteran coach, with a record of playoff success.

So, you are not a fan of first time coaches?  What retread would you trade McDermott for? Chucky? Cowher? 

Fans are a fickle lot.  If an experienced coach craps the bed everyone wants some new blood.  New blood craps the bed everybody wants "someone established." Just find the best guy to coach the Sabres.  If he's a first timer good luck to him. If he's an established HC then good luck to him too.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I agree...but Eichel needs to be in on the interview process. We have to make sure he’s happy with the selection. 

How much sway do you think he needs? 

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He is far from the most probable successor.

If Phil is fired, I would hope Pegula would learn from his failures and go with a much more seasoned, veteran coach, with a record of playoff success.

The "seasoned" portion might be in question a bit, but your description there pretty much fits the Bylsma hire.  So I don't really see a pattern here of hiring inexperience.  The only other was Rolston, but that was just an interim position.  Now if we want to apply that inexperience hire comment to the front office, now we have a pattern.

I'm with you though, I think the next one definitely has to be very experienced.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The "seasoned" portion might be in question a bit, but your description there pretty much fits the Bylsma hire.  So I don't really see a pattern here of hiring inexperience.  The only other was Rolston, but that was just an interim position.  Now if we want to apply that inexperience hire comment to the front office, now we have a pattern.

I'm with you though, I think the next one definitely has to be very experienced.

Not quite.  He started the 2013-2014 season as the regular coach and lasted one month

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Like this guy?

image.jpeg.fccba6d775e75c3909bce5e00da698a9.jpeg

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Not quite.  He started the 2013-2014 season as the regular coach and lasted one month

I can see how I forgot about that portion.  He had the interim tag the previous season when Lindy was fired.  But either way, that was mid-tank, so I still won't count that as a serious hire.  His replacement wasn't either, that one was pure PR.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I can see how I forgot about that portion.  He had the interim tag the previous season when Lindy was fired.  But either way, that was mid-tank, so I still won't count that as a serious hire.  His replacement wasn't either, that one was pure PR.

but would you take Teddy over Phil? Earning points at the same rate as the tank last 3 months.

Wonder where the Sabres would be had they brought in Ole Teddy at the all start break

Listening to Housley’s weekly segment on the WGR morning show was painful today.

I just feel bad for the guy, but at the same time I don’t want to hear about how you’ve been in games. You certainly have not been in many games.

I also don’t want to hear about being over .500 entering March. We cannot ignore what is probably the worst month of Sabres hockey in my lifetime.

It’s definitely not all on him though. Apart from Dahlin and Skinner, I look at much of the roster with disgust over the way they could just roll over. I’m looking at you “captain”. Seems you’ve captained another coach being tuned out.

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

but would you take Teddy over Phil? Earning points at the same rate as the tank last 3 months.

Wonder where the Sabres would be had they brought in Ole Teddy at the all start break

Housley was one of the most under-qualified coached I can remember getting a job in the NHL.  He had zero games of professional head coaching experience, and hasnt even run the gauntlet of major juniors or a collegiate season.  He coached high school and later a World Championship IIHF tournament.  He was an assistant on a loaded Nashville team for 4 years.  That is his experience.  

39 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Listening to Housley’s weekly segment on the WGR morning show was painful today.

I just feel bad for the guy, but at the same time I don’t want to hear about how you’ve been in games. You certainly have not been in many games.

I also don’t want to hear about being over .500 entering March. We cannot ignore what is probably the worst month of Sabres hockey in my lifetime.

It’s definitely not all on him though. Apart from Dahlin and Skinner, I look at much of the roster with disgust over the way they could just roll over. I’m looking at you “captain”. Seems you’ve captained another coach being tuned out.

Perfectly ok with questioning Eichel. He’s a great player, but he’s not captain material. He’s full of crap with his pronouncements about how there is pride on the line, still much to play for, yada yada yada. Takes too many shifts off to be an effective leader. And he’s just been mailing it in since his suspension. 

My first move as coach would be to take the C away and give it to someone who leaves it all on the ice EVERY game, EVERY shift. Might actually relieve some pressure from Eichel as well. 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perfectly ok with questioning Eichel. He’s a great player, but he’s not captain material. He’s full of crap with his pronouncements about how there is pride on the line, still much to play for, yada yada yada. Takes too many shifts off to be an effective leader. And he’s just been mailing it in since his suspension. 

My first move as coach would be to take the C away and give it to someone who leaves it all on the ice EVERY game, EVERY shift. Might actually relieve some pressure from Eichel as well. 

I dont know that you can take the C from him...but in terms of the pressure..I may be wrong but i dont think he talked post game on Sunday..but i could be wrong. Certainly had a few at that point, and maybe MSG just did not air it. 

4 hours ago, BigMcD said:

Hey, Leafs are in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. Likely out quickly, but still at least heading in the right direction. Remember when they were behind the Sabres in the “rebuild.” 

The only reason we thought the leafs were behind us is because we though they were going full scorched earth rebuild like Buffalo did. 

But that never happened. They landed damn near the best coach in hockey - Babcock - and decided to do a smaller scale retool instead, because Babcock is one of the only coaches out there that could come in and truly, immediately change the culture. 

In reality, the leafs were “rebuilding” longer (before they finally became a good team) than the Sabres have currently been. They had been drafting (mostly) high since 2007 and been missing the playoffs since 2005. 

They kept some good players on their team from those drafts (they have current player on the roster dating back to 2008). It took them until 2016/17 to become a consistently good team. For reference, buffalo’s longest tenured player is from the 2012 and 2013 drafts. (Girgensons and Risto)

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I dont know that you can take the C from him...but in terms of the pressure..I may be wrong but i dont think he talked post game on Sunday..but i could be wrong. Certainly had a few at that point, and maybe MSG just did not air it. 

Why not? Will the team implode or something? Big difference between being best player and best leader as you know. He just doesn’t seem cut out for it. There are ways to do it without insulting him. I just get the feeling it’s not that important to him, so maybe I think it’s less of a big deal than it might be. 

Hey, remember at the end of February when Scandella went on about how exciting it was to “play meaningful games in March?” :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why stop there?  Let's hand ownership over to Teddy and anoint him the king of hockey.  That's the only way we can even come close to pleasing the small cult of fans he has around here.  I'm pretty sure he would have ended world hunger if the Sabres never fired him back in the 90s.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why stop there?  Let's hand ownership over to Teddy and anoint him the king of hockey.  That's the only way we can even come close to pleasing the small cult of fans he has around here.  I'm pretty sure he would have ended world hunger if the Sabres never fired him back in the 90s.

Think it more an indictment on Phil than an endorsement of Teddy..but the point pace since the last game of the streak is almost the exact same as the Teddy Tank team...so I am guessing had he come mid-season as an interim, on a team with talent.., Sabres might have actually played some meaningful games in March