Should kids get participation trophies for playing sports?

Another Fan

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t see the harm if the kid is also parented correctly.  Participation trophies aren’t ruining children.  ***** parents are ruining children.  

Nothing new under the sun

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t see the harm if the kid is also parented correctly.  Participation trophies aren’t ruining children.  ***** parents are ruining children.  

It's like I said earlier, the problem exist when the parents or others teach the kids that winning is everything and not that it's ok to lose sometimes and not be the best at it. Giving them a trophy or medal for participation is fine, it's not hurting or affecting them. Teaching them that winning is the only thing that matters, or that no matter how bad they are that they are the best is where you start getting to the point where kids become entitled and have issues dealing in the real world because they think that they are the best at everything they do and should be recognized for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Keukasmallies said:

Trophies, awards, special recognition should be given to those who accomplish something beyond the general expectation level for the activity.  Presenting an award for showing up most of the time could be seen as detracting from the award given for outstanding effort/accomplishment.

for a 5 year old?

• Like (+1) 1

People make way too much out of the participation trophies and no scorekeeping.  My daughter's 16, son 12 and I've coached a good number of their teams.

It's all done at a young age and goes away before or at latest by teenage years.  It's done to keep the game fun, encourage development of every kid, and to stave off the nutty hyper-competitive parents.  There's nothing worse then parents who  want little Johnny or Suzie to be a bloodthirsty winner at any cost by age 8. 

Competitiveness?  Youth sports is as much a business as anything else these days.  If your kid is super passionate and/or super talented there are elite and premier clubs that you can pay thousands of dollars and travel across the country to compete at a sport.

Parents change their job situation so they can have 3 day weekends because of all the travel.

Anyone worried youth sports aren't competitive enough need not be.  If your kid is in that situation you can progressively open your wallet until you find the right situation.

Yes. Developing self-esteem at a young age is a key to success, and just as important is make kids feel good for participating in team activities. Make kids feel proud for doing their part and they will grow into well-adjusted people.

I never heard of a pro athlete say that a participation trophy ever stunted their growth. Likewise, I have never heard of anyone believe they were harmed by a participation trophy because they were promised an easy life. On the other hand, I have heard countless people say that sports had a major positive impact on their life, regardless of their ability.  

The reverse of this is to cut young kids and not let them play to demonstrate that only the good athletes are allowed.   

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But that was an actual fear that they could be taken to Hell being carried in a handbasket.....

walking on the tightrope of a spider's web

12 minutes ago, teef said:

let me move this question a bit...if your kid received a participation trophy, would you take it away?

it would depend on how it was presentated

if a big speech about self-esteem and everyone is special went before it....

1 hour ago, Keukasmallies said:

Trophies, awards, special recognition should be given to those who accomplish something beyond the general expectation level for the activity.  Presenting an award for showing up most of the time could be seen as detracting from the award given for outstanding effort/accomplishment.

I agree.

But... The level of tardiness with new hires, well from my puny corner of the world is crippling.

Maybe teaching the importance of just showing up would hammer home the message earlier.  Way too unstructured today.

This would have never happened in the industrial era. Bells, periods, clocks in school.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

I chose to participate in this thread with the hope that I may get a trophy of some sort. Can you help a brother out?

Here's your trophy 

trophy-28b5b9l.jpg

sorry  wrong one 

nerdtrophy.jpg

15 minutes ago, teef said:

let me move this question a bit...if your kid received a participation trophy, would you take it away?

Can it be melted down and sold?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

can it be melted down and sold?  

those things are so cheap, that they can barely stay together while sitting on a shelf.

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

walking on the tightrope of a spider's web

it would depend on how it was presentated

if a big speech about self-esteem and everyone is special went before it....

at that age i don't think they had a speech.  i think we had pizza,  had our names called, and went home.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The baseball league I grew up in, everybody got a small trophy. It was really more of a keepsake/memento than an award. The players on the championship team got a big trophy, and the runners up got a slightly smaller trophy. So there was still something to play for. 

I do find it ironic that people from the older generation like to point out that we're the "participation trophy" generation, but my question always has been, which generation is the one that gave us the trophies that we'd have been perfectly content without. 

• Like (+1) 1