Insomnia

Another Fan

My wife takes CBD oil.  She swears by it.  I don't need it, so have not tried.  It's pricey, but is measured in drops, and if it works, maybe you can justify it?

It's a hemp derivative but not "psychoactive."   She asked our Doc. about it, and he said it works, and it's worth a try for her.

Of course we aren't giving medical advice, but here's some findings...

Gravol, or the pink anti-nausea pills on the shelf at the drug store have been helpful, and have a decent lack of tolerance buildup, if you take too much you will be groggy for hours upon awakening. 1/4 of one is a good place to start.  I know some who have been taking this for decades with no ill effect.

The best find was a mild anti-depressant Desyrel, which knocked me out in five minutes, the same situation as Gravol.  Ask your doctor...

Melatonin didn't help, I'd wake up the same, a little groggier at 2 in the morning. 

That's time to read or goof around on the internet until i get back to sleep around 3:30 and then up at 7:30 refreshed.

More natural help has been with the fibro cocktail of 5-HTP, gingko bibloa (sp??) and Coenzyme Q10, which has been a lifesaver for parts of my life. 

watch out with Melatonin, the strengths on the drug store counter are INSANE!!!! for what is a recommended dosage, it's my understanding the lower dosage is patented and out of the loop for the big store purchases.  we are talking 100 times the recommended strength in one pill at your drug store.

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

My wife takes CBD oil.  She swears by it.  I don't need it, so have not tried.  It's pricey, but is measured in drops, and if it works, maybe you can justify it?

It's a hemp derivative but not "psychoactive."   She asked our Doc. about it, and he said it works, and it's worth a try for her.

Do you drink it? 

The change of season (limited amount of daylight) may have something to do with it.  Make sure you are getting enough exercise.  Monitor / limit the amount of alcohol.  Melatonin is a good suggestion.  Meditation is a good mechanism to help with your sleep.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Melatonin works for me.  5 mg 20 minutes before bed and I sleep like a baby.  Tylenol PM’s always made me feel goofy the next day.

Me as well.  I use 3 mg, sometimes 6 mg.  I do, however, feel groggy in the AM sometimes.  Not nearly as bad as w/ prescribed sleep aids like Ambien which made me feel completely worthless until the afternoon.

Also, cutting down TV / Screen time before trying to fall asleep and definitely don't try to fall asleep with the TV on.

Edited by Mark80

Here are my thoughts from a man who has persistently dealt with sleep issues.

I would not recommend taking Tylenol PM for this issue. You don't want all that tylenol in your system.  It really can beat on your liver.  In the alternative, you can try OTC diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or doxylamine (Unisom).  They aren't great for the body either, but less of an issue than the tylenol.  

Some people have success with melatonin.  Some have success in taking a baby aspirin before bed.  Aspirin, in some, has some anti-anxiety effect.  

I'd try to stay away from Ambien unless you get desperate.

One of the strategies that works well for me is not eating for at least 4-5 hours before bedtime and cutting my caffeine consumption off at noon.  You don't want your body processing a heavy meal or snack while you're commanding it to rest too.  Caffeine obviously won't help you sleep.  If you have high blood sugar or high blood pressure, you don't want these spiking at bedtime either.    As you get older your body processes food and caffeine a lot slower than it did in your 20s.  

White noise also helps.  I find white noise more addicting than any pharmaceutical but it can really make a difference.  

If you look at your phone in bed, a blue light filter is absolutely necessary.  All that blue light radiating from your phone is telling your brain to stay awake.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

There is no way you have ever made it to the one-hour mark...C’mon....

studies show people can spend several hours a day alone with their computer

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Melatonin works for me.  5 mg 20 minutes before bed and I sleep like a baby.  Tylenol PM’s always made me feel goofy the next day.

My wife has taken Advil PM (at her doctors suggestion) and never reported feeling “goofy”. I’ll refrain from any of the obvious jokes here. 

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I work in big pharma r&d but not in the field of insomnia. I use the results of reviewed clinical studies for the basis of recommended treatment. I will also acknowledge that the placebo effect is real.

Having said that, the best literature review of CBD & Sleep that I found: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28349316/ (NIH, 2017).

Quoted from the Summary “Research on cannabis and sleep is in its infancy and has yielded mixed results.” Imo, a doctor telling a patient that it works is irresponsible without conclusive evidence. But perhaps he/she knows of  results that have not been published. I am aware of more ongoing active studies with CBD & sleeplessness but I have been unable to find these results published yet. 

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I work in big pharma r&d but not in the field of insomnia. I use the results of reviewed clinical studies for the basis of recommended treatment. I will also acknowledge that the placebo effect is real.

Having said that, the best literature review of CBD & Sleep that I found: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28349316/ (NIH, 2017).

Quoted from the Summary “Research on cannabis and sleep is in its infancy and has yielded mixed results.” Imo, a doctor telling a patient that it works is irresponsible without conclusive evidence. But perhaps he/she knows of  results that have not been published. I am aware of more ongoing active studies with CBD & sleeplessness but I have been unable to find these results published yet. 

Thanks, I don't take it but both her GP and Chiropractor have mentioned it, at different times, and she says it works for her.. 

• Like (+1) 1