OT Jonah Williams in the first

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No thanks.  They don't develop OT's in college the way they used to.  If the top WR is not available at #9 then trade down 8-10 spots and take the best C/G

trust me this kid legit, he isnt some spread big 12 offense. Bama is a pro style offense were they are taught pro techniques.  His pass blocking is elite and rarely gives up a pressure let alone a sack. His run blocking is good too and he has a mean streak in him.

Hes not an elite athlete but is a master technician who will only improve in strength and skill in the pros. We will do well to land him.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The knock on Jonah Williams is that he's a better RT, read more about him, he started his career at RT where he dominated, has been a good solid LT but nowhere near the level he played at RT, seems to be the same predicament as we have with Dawkins who I think can grow into the position much like Williams could.

ive watched him all year and he dominated on the left. I didnt see all his games but in the ones i saw he didn't give up a sack or pressure. If they want him on the right then so be it either way i will take him.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'd be very happy with a top OT, but is 300 on the small size for a tackle in this era?

in the old era but in today's NFL you want smaller, quicker Tackles to deal with the smaller , faster DEs. Ends aren't 300 pounds anymore, they average around 265-270.

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

We have no idea what this team is going to do in FA and the trade market before we make proclamations on who the Bills will be selecting in the draft.

thanks for the insight, so you are saying we should never talk about the draft until FA is over?? Cool see you in 3 months.

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have read he is projected as G or RT, not LT.  Ideas on why?

Prognosticators are stupid. People get stuck on measurables and see short arms and automatically think guard. He has dominated elite athletes in the SEC , he will adept to the NFL as well.

6 hours ago, Cheesus said:

I'll pass on offensive lineman from Alabama :), especially tackles.

Alabama
PLAYER TEAM POSITION
Jonathan Allen Washington Redskins Defensive End
Ryan Anderson Washington Redskins Linebacker
Anthony Averett Baltimore Ravens Cornerback
Mark Barron Los Angeles Rams Linebacker
Bradley Bozeman Baltimore Ravens Center
Tony Brown Green Bay Packers Cornerback
James Carpenter New York Jets Guard
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Washington Redskins Safety
Landon Collins New York Giants Safety
Amari Cooper Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
Marcell Dareus Jacksonville Jaguars Defensive Tackle
Gehrig Dieter Kansas City Chiefs Wide Receiver
Kenyan Drake Miami Dolphins Running Back
Rashaan Evans Tennessee Titans Linebacker
Minkah Fitzpatrick Miami Dolphins Safety
D.J. Fluker Seattle Seahawks Guard
Reuben Foster Washington Redskins Linebacker
Robert Foster Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver
Shaun Dion Hamilton Washington Redskins Linebacker
Da'Shawn Hand Detroit Lions Defensive End
Ronnie Harrison Jacksonville Jaguars Safety
Derrick Henry Tennessee Titans Running Back
Dont'a Hightower New England Patriots Linebacker
O.J. Howard Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tight End
Marlon Humphrey Baltimore Ravens Cornerback
Mark Ingram II New Orleans Saints Running Back
Kareem Jackson Houston Texans Safety
Eddie Jackson Chicago Bears Safety
Julio Jones Atlanta Falcons Wide Receiver
Cyrus Jones Baltimore Ravens Cornerback
Ryan Kelly Indianapolis Colts Center
Dre Kirkpatrick Cincinnati Bengals Cornerback
Arie Kouandjio Washington Redskins Guard
AJ McCarron Oakland Raiders Quarterback
C.J. Mosley Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
Daron Payne Washington Redskins Defensive Tackle
Reggie Ragland Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker
Jarran Reed Seattle Seahawks Defensive Tackle
Calvin Ridley Atlanta Falcons Wide Receiver
A'Shawn Robinson Detroit Lions Defensive Tackle
Cam Robinson Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Tackle
Bo Scarbrough Seattle Seahawks Running Back
JK Scott Green Bay Packers Punter
Cam Sims Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
Andre Smith Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Tackle
Damion Square Los Angeles Chargers Nose Tackle
Carson Tinker Jacksonville Jaguars Long Snapper
Dalvin Tomlinson New York Giants Defensive Tackle
Levi Wallace Buffalo Bills Cornerback
Chance Warmack Philadelphia Eagles Guard
Tim Williams Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
T.J. Yeldon Jacksonville Jaguars Running Back

I would pass on almost every QB from Wyoming as well.

6 hours ago, 947 said:

That highlight video isn't overly impressive. Normally when you see highlights of a 1st round OL talent (like Quenton Nelson last year), they are absolutely mauling people in games. I'm not seeing that in the vid, and even a clear hold is featured. Not saying he's not a 1st round talent, but I expected a more dominant highlight reel.

Looking forward to focusing on him vs Clemson.

Hes not a mauler but a technician, he doesnt give up sacks and turns his man in the run game ,dont need anymore than that.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hate it for a lot of reasons. 

First, if he's going to play right tackle, taking him in the top ten is not getting value. Having an elite right tackle is like putting lipstick on a pig. 

Second, a lot of people are advocating drafting him to be a left tackle and moving Dawkins to guard. I hate this as well. This feels like drafting a guard in the top ten. The difference between Dawkins and Williams is minimal if anything. I'm not going to replace a guy who has been solid for two years, not perfect, but solid, with a guy who might be solid. I am very much against top ten centers, guards or right tackles. Unless they are Quentin Nelson, Zach Martin, Alex Mack like elite players. Lane Johnson turned out to be elite, but was a risky pick in a crappy draft. Conklin has been very good, but has been hurt a ton and his team still hasn't gone anywhere. 

Lastly, drafting a left tackle in the top ten makes sense if the guy is elite. Williams really isn't. He projects to be very good, but if you really pay attention, he sounds an awful lot like Luke Joeckel. He's a technician, not a road grader, shorter arms, probably better at guard, struggles with speed rushers etc etc. Being a technician sounds good on paper, not so much when Aaron Donald or Jadeveon Clowney are smashing you in your chest. He's 6-5 301...that is long an lean and many analysts have mentioned that he's likely to weigh in at less than 300 at the draft. That's a problem. 

Again, I like Jonah Williams and I think he will be a good player, but I do not think he is an elite prospect. I think the idea of having him sounds good on paper, but he has some flaws in his game. This isn't a slam dunk and there is not huge upside here. He's a plug and play, might be solid guy. I want upside with my top 10 pick.

Again thats me. I'm an o line guy through and through, but these are my beliefs when it come to the draft. 

luckily he isnt great on paper but great on the field and ask the colts how their 6th overall Guard is doing.

5 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

The last time we drafted an OL in the first round was 2002, when we drafted Mike Williams at 4. How did that turn out?

If anyone watched Williams they saw a gentle teddy bear. But measurables got in the way made him go higher than he should because he was a house. However he couldn't translate that into performance.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

you dont think he is dominate but goes before 9, ??

Yup.  You don’t think there have been solid players drafted top 10 because they were the best at their position in their class?  Happens almost yearly 

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If anyone watched Williams they saw a gentle teddy bear. But measurables got in the way made him go higher than he should because he was a house. However he couldn't translate that into performance.

Yup, he lacked the “ fire in the belly” to be great and admitted as such later. GMs and scouts need to be tuned in to these intangibles, because without them the measurables don’t matter as much. 

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills could sign a few FA's on the OL which makes the Williams pick moot. That's my point.

Moot versus mute. Easy mistake.

And frankly, I don't think oline is a group you "fix" in FA. I think you draft and sign guys (but mostly draft) continuously until your cupboards overfloweth. Once you have a QB to build around, you can't eff around with patchwork olines (like Seattle did for a couple years, for example.) 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  You don’t think there have been solid players drafted top 10 because they were the best at their position in their class?  Happens almost yearly 

he not an elite athlete, hes not a mauler,  however he is an elite football player and will be a huge asset for our line.

29 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yup, he lacked the “ fire in the belly” to be great and admitted as such later. GMs and scouts need to be tuned in to these intangibles, because without them the measurables don’t matter as much. 

exactly!

so tired of elite athletes who dont have the desire to get better or just are athletic but cant play football. This was the problem with whaley and many of the GMs we have had over the years.

Beane definitely picked athletes in Allen and Edmunds but also knew how hard they would work on their craft. This is why i am a huge fan of the culture they want to build here because without the right mind set talent means nothing and is why they traded guys like Watkins and Dareus.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

We have no idea what this team is going to do in FA and the trade market before we make proclamations on who the Bills will be selecting in the draft.

? So we should just shut the Wall down until after FA? Complete conjecture means no discussion is worthy? You’re right. There’s nothing we can do about it, so we might as well get on with our lives and wait til we hear something on TV.  

Thanks!

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Doubt he’s there at 9 or 10 but if he’s there, sure.  I just don’t think he’s dominant.  Solid OL.  Would rather trade down 

I think he may well be there at 9 and I am with you I'd be okay picking him but I don't think he is a dominant LT at the NFL level. He is very similat in style to Dawkins though his ceiling is definitely higher. If you plugged Jonah and Dion in together on that left side in some combo of LT and LG I think you probably sure that up for years to come. 

• Like (+1) 1

What I like is that the Bills don't have so many holes to fill this year.  They could stand to upgrade at some defensive positions but they have no suck-o starters on D.  The O line and WR are the two areas of need, so the Bills can concentrate on those areas and bring in good FAs for depth elsewhere.

He won’t be there at 9, butt BB i’ve Already stated we should move up if needed to grab him.  Excellent OT’s almost never come available in fre agency or trade, and they cost a ton.  We should seek out Guards and Centers where needed in free agency and trades as they cost less and solidify the line with Jonah.  We also have the $ for one to two WR’s or a TE.

Thats the smart move.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m all in for a trade down if it’s at all possible.

Theres a lot that will happen between now and draft time but I don’t think the drop in talent from 9 to say 20 is going to be that huge. Depending how our front office has these guys ranked I’d like them to load up and grab either an extra 1st next year or 2nd this year or something. Tackle is a need, but I’m not seeing Taylor Lewan kinda nasty lineman worth a top 10 pick. I’m no college expert so maybe I’m wrong I would just prefer to see the extra picks and possible extra talent added

• Like (+1) 1

After looking at a few mock drafts (early, I know), I say trade down to the back half of the first round and get two first round picks where it appears there will be quality O-Tackles available and a few wide receivers. Come away with that combo and it is an excellent draft.

• Like (+1) 1