Gameday Thread: CFP Semifinals

/dev/null

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't think UCF is great but they could have put them in to shut everybody up for good.  Watching crap teams like ND and OK get curb stomped is better how?

Oklahoma was not a crap team. Not at all. Notre Dame? They didn't even remotely compare to Georgia but they were undefeated.

The two best teams will play for the title. The difference between the 2 is that Clemson..... IMO.....has not played a high quality team in the regular season or the playoffs. Not yet, ya know?

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, after watching the watered-down NFL with not one team even close to being great in years, it just makes me appreciate the total dominance of Alabama all that much more. :worthy:

I am still surprised though as to how a relatively marginal program like Clemson got to be so good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Tua did his thing but what really hurt Oklahoma was their inability to stop the run in critical situations, when stops were a must.

The above is an accurate description of the game but not unusual. Alabama has as many weapons as any team I have ever seen.  And Coach Saban is always happy to run the football.

Their defense is good, but NOT one of the better Alabama defensive units, not even close.  The Clemson QB is great, but he is a freshman. We shall  see.

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

You know, after watching the watered-down NFL with not one team even close to being great in years, it just makes me appreciate the total dominance of Alabama all that much more. :worthy:

I am still surprised though as to how a relatively marginal program like Clemson got to be so good.

Clemson really is very talented Rico but who have they played that is any good?

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is an accurate description of the game but not unusual. Alabama has as many weapons as any team I have ever seen.  And Coach Saban is always happy to run the football.

Their defense is good, but NOT one of the better Alabama defensive units, not even close.  The Clemson QB is great, but he is a freshman. We shall  see.

Clemson really is very good Rico but who have they played that is good?

I'm not talking about this year, but the past few years or so. I always considered that school to be very tough at home, but nothing special, and nothing close to being one of the best programs going.

Just now, Rico said:

I'm not talking about this year, but the past few years or so. I always considered that school to be very tough at home, but nothing special, and nothing close to being one of the best programs going.

Again, they are extremely talented but untested imo. They coast through the seasons and almost never play against a good team. Didn't they play Pittsburgh in their conference championship game?

That makes it 8 of 10 playoff semifinals that have been a totally noncompetitive waste of time

It’s like women’s hockey, two teams (Canada and the US) are clearly the best and can play against each other and they both win 18-0 over every other country.

41 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Oklahoma was not a crap team. Not at all. Notre Dame? They didn't even remotely compare to Georgia but they were undefeated.

The two best teams will play for the title. The difference between the 2 is that Clemson..... IMO.....has not played a high quality team in the regular season or the playoffs. Not yet, ya know?

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good offense + horrifically bad defense that is so bad that it is hard to describe = crap team.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

8 teams????!!!

They can’t give us 3 honestly competitive teams in a season more than once every 40 years

Yes, haven't you heard? 8 teams will fix everything.

There will be rainbows, and leprechauns, and unicorns.

Notre Dame is better than they played today, but they need to join the ACC to even be considered for a playoff game in the future. 

Expand playoffs to eight games that include winners of all Power 5 conference games and the three best teams the committee feels are worthy.  Add an amendment to the US Constitution that it must never be more than eight playoff teams after this.  Must not be an Independent team to qualify. 

I think the positives outweighs the negatives.  Makes all of the Power 5 conference championship games more exciting, helps eliminate the posers in the first round leading to better Semifinal matchups, will only slightly lessen importance of regular season games, can lead to "Cinderella" stories, increases revenue, and less teams cry that didn't get in.  They'll still be pressure on the committee, but not as much.  Work out the scheduling problems that an extra week brings.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Notre Dame is better than they played today, but they need to join the ACC to even be considered for a playoff game in the future. 

Expand playoffs to eight games that include winners of all Power 5 conference games and the three best teams the committee feels are worthy.  Add an amendment to the US Constitution that it must never be more than eight playoff teams after this.  Must not be an Independent team to qualify. 

I think the positives outweighs the negatives.  Makes all of the Power 5 conference championship games more exciting, helps eliminate the posers in the first round leading to better Semifinal matchups, will only slightly lessen importance of regular season games, can lead to "Cinderella" stories, increases revenue, and less teams cry that didn't get in.  They'll still be pressure on the committee, but not as much.  Work out the scheduling problems that an extra week brings.

Of  the 10 semifinals played, only 2 have been decent matchups

There simply isn’t enough talent in the game to justify even 4 teams playing, 8 would be a total farce 

every season it is objectively obvious which is the best team or two, a third may show up very very rarely 

3 hours ago, Cynical said:

Yes, haven't you heard? 8 teams will fix everything.

There will be rainbows, and leprechauns, and unicorns.

Well, with 8 teams that 4/5 matchup may be close, as well as the title game.

wirh at least 5 utter massacres to inflict on us

sis boom bah....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.