Marijuana to treat CTE in NFL players

Just a random thought, hope I am not violating the tos and I am sorry if I am but I am awfully curious about this topic. Obviously marijuana is banned by the NFL, but I've wondered for quite some time if football players smoke because it relieves symptoms of CTE. Do any of you think this is possible? It would be pretty tragic if the NFL banned a substance that could benefit their players mental health, especially with something as serious as CTE. I know weed helps treat a myriad of illnesses from bipolar disorder all the way down to arthritis and inflammation. Could marijuana benefit players and should the NFL take it off its banned substances list? It would be a shame if the NFL was taking away something that could be beneficial to its players. Do you guys think weed could actually help the NFL? Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Just a random thought, hope I am not violating the tos and I am sorry if I am but I am awfully curious about this topic. Obviously marijuana is banned by the NFL, but I've wondered for quite some time if football players smoke because it relieves symptoms of CTE. Do any of you think this is possible? It would be pretty tragic if the NFL banned a substance that could benefit their players mental health, especially with something as serious as CTE. I know weed helps treat a myriad of illnesses from bipolar disorder all the way down to arthritis and inflammation. Could marijuana benefit players and should the NFL take it off its banned substances list? It would be a shame if the NFL was taking away something that could be beneficial to its players. Do you guys think weed could actually help the NFL? Thoughts?

This a post filled with misinformation about the health benefits of marijuana.

its not a magic plant dude.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe you could still technically be alive if they diagnose the section quickly? 

Not that I’ve read, always open to seeing they can diagnose before an autopsy

32 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Would Richie Still be on the team?  

At first I thought this was funny, then I thought, could it be true?

On Weed and the nfl, it’s been rumored tons of players smoke and dodging testing is easy to work around for them as long as you never fail the one annual non/less random one, or combine one.... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You've never gotten a physical and had your head split open under anesthesia for a look at the brain? Pretty routine in my neck of the woods.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Ok, but now say you have an impatient coroner that really wants to know? 

No-Someone found a bio-marker with potential but still sounded like more confirmations are needed or something 

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

You've never gotten a physical and had your head split open under anesthesia for a look at the brain? Pretty routine in my neck of the woods.

Or what if you live here? 

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I take CBD oil and it has worked wonders for me. I also smoke weed occasionally and it helps me with anxiety and depression. 

I’m not bashing or judging, but is the CBD also for anxiety and depression? How is it different from weed. (I’m actually surprised I don’t know this, but that’s a different story.) 

59 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I take CBD oil and it has worked wonders for me. I also smoke weed occasionally and it helps me with anxiety and depression. 

“I take heroin for my anxiety and it works wonders for me.”

Please stop.

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Seantrel Henderson disagrees

What medical school did he go to?

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not bashing or judging, but is the CBD also for anxiety and depression? How is it different from weed. (I’m actually surprised I don’t know this, but that’s a different story.) 

CBD will not get you high whereas weed will get you high. Weed is a more potent mood enhancer though in my opinion, makes boring and mundane things fun and interesting. 

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

CBD will not get you high whereas weed will get you high. Weed is a more potent mood enhancer though in my opinion, makes boring and mundane things fun and interesting. 

But the CBD (which somewhat is new to me) will also help with the anxiety and depression? To the same degree? It’s an oil? How do you ingest it? 

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Please stop.

LOL heroin?

I don’t think that Henderson went to medical school but a good friend of mine Oncologist recommended weed for him with his chemo treatment.  He went to medical school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Please stop.

Medical Marijuana has helped people with Parkinson's, depression, tremors, anxiety and a number of other issues.  I don't know if it would help in this case but please don't misinform people by substituting heroin for medical marijuana. Do some research.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

Just now, Augie said:

But the CBD (which somewhat is new to me) will also help with the anxiety and depression? To the same degree? It’s an oil? How do you ingest it? 

I take capsules. There's oil you can put under your tongue. Edibles. Vape. I take it for anxiety, depression and irritability. Great if you want to stay stone cold sober.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL heroin?

I don’t think that Henderson went to medical school but a good friend of mine Oncologist recommended weed for him with his chemo treatment.  He went to medical school.

He didn’t prescribe him CBD for CTE though, did he?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Medical Marijuana has helped people with Parkinson's, depression, tremors, anxiety and a number of other issues.  I don't know if it would help in this case but please don't misinform people by substituting heroin for medical marijuana. Do some research.  

It’s helped me with my fear of cats too. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Weak and shallow, with a heavy dose of ignorance. 

I promise you I know a hefty amount on the subject.

Edited by BringBackOrton

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

He didn’t prescribe him CBD for CTE though, did he?

I promise you I know a hefty amount on the subject.

I promise you.....I know more. Not a good idea to go there. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I have a friend who has the same problem and lives a reasonably normal life now. Medical Marijuana actually helps people out there who have real issues.  Alcohol is much worse for you.  Imagine the people who are denied the ability to get better because of human ignorance.  Sad.  Certainly much more research needs to be done but people need to stop bashing something they don't understand.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I have a friend who has the same problem and lives a reasonably normal life now. Medical Marijuana actually helps people out there who have real issues.  Alcohol is worse for you.  Imagine the people who are denied the ability to get better because of human ignorance.  Sad.  

My BIL was diagnosed with Parkinson’s more than a decade ago. Marijuana and regular exercise helped him tremendously. It’s real. Unfortunately, he’s now got a serious spinal issue and may never walk again. Lack of progress will get him tossed from rehab center, only to be sent home where my sister can’t care for him alone.

I have to go ahead and get my long term care policy my wife has been after for years. You could blow through a fortune and be broke in no time without it. I’d rather die than do that to my family. Look into that, my friends. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

My BIL was diagnosed with Parkinson’s more than a decade ago. Marijuana and regular exercise helped him tremendously. It’s real. Unfortunately, he’s now got a serious spinal issue and may never walk again. Lack of progress will get him tossed from rehab center, only to be sent home where my sister can’t care for him alone.

I have to go ahead and get my long term care policy my wife has been after for years. You could blow through a fortune and be broke in no time without it. I’d rather die than do that to my family. Look into that, my friends. 

Situations like these happen entirely too often.  All the best to you and yours Augie!   

The hope I hold on to is that research continues to make strides and we can get the care for the people who really need it.  Unfortunately for so many, it can't come soon enough.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I have great respect for you to bring this controversial topic up.  Too many will continue to shut it down but the way we grow in this world is to continue to ask the tough questions. 

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Please stop.

Benzos are such a better alternative since they come from Big Pharma and are FDA approved.

Also, I wonder what percentage of NFL players have an active prescription for heroin in some form or another.

5 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Benzos are such a better alternative since they come from Big Pharma and are FDA approved.

Also, I wonder what percentage of NFL players have an active prescription for heroin in some form or another.

Yeah, if the FDA shows up and says they're there to help you, just consider them the sibling of the IRS. Very helpful indeed.

What’s your name?  “Ben. Ben Dover.” 

@plenzmd1 has a free prize for the first person to get the reference! 

11 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Are you arguing that Benzos aren’t safer than heroin? Hot take bro.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I have great respect for you to bring this controversial topic up.  Too many will continue to shut it down but the way we grow in this world is to continue to ask the tough questions.  

Thank you my friend. I think of repeat offenders with millions of dollars to lose and they smoke anyways. I don't think it's because they're stupid and reckless. When you are sick, you will do ANYTHING to feel better, anything to alleviate the pain. I'm bipolar and many of the symptoms I experience are very similar to what NFL players go through: irritability, depression, anxiety, mood swings etc. CBD and maybe a little bit of smoke takes all those things away. I do the CBD when I have to go to work or drive and I smoke when I'm home and in for the night. Works for me. I'd like to see the NFL do some research on this topic.

Can cannabis help NFL athletes at risk of developing deadly brain disease?

By TREY RECKLING
JAN 17, 2018 | 1:37 PM

NFL athletes are not the only players whose sport exposes them to potentially life-altering head trauma, but they have been getting a lion's share of the media attention. The medical community continues to learn about the very real and present danger that concussions pose to the human brain. The effects can be deadly.

In the case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the results can also be lethal. CTE is a progressive degenerative brain disease linked to blows to the head. It gained much more notice thanks to the 2015 movie "Concussion" dramatizing the discovery of the condition by Dr. Bennet Omalu. Omalu, a forensic pathologist, was investigating high profile deaths of former NFL players.

The condition is characterized by loss of memory, mood instability, difficulty concentrating and progressive dementia. For some, it also means lingering thoughts of suicide.

In one collaborative study between the Department of Veteran Affairs and Boston University, the findings were more concerning than most expected. The prevalence of CTE in the brains of former football players could not be denied. The brains of 177 American football players were examined after having been donated to science. 99 percent of the brains of NFL players showed signs of CTE as did 87 percent of Canadian pro players, 64 percent of semi-pro, 91 percent of college, and 21 percent of high schoolers.

The level of pathology also correlated with the amount of exposure to head trauma, with the younger brains showing less developed CTE and more experienced players much more degradation. Researchers have been careful to point out that all donated organs have been the result of families suspecting their loved ones had issues based on behavioral traits. So, the sample may be influenced in that way. Unfortunately, the gold standard for diagnosing CTE involves autopsy.

"We found cognitive, mood and behavioral symptoms were very common, even among players with mild CTE tau pathology. This suggests that tau pathology is only the tip of the iceberg and that other pathologies, such as neuroinflammation and axonal damage, contribute to the clinical symptoms,"  – Researcher Dr. Jesse Mez, BUSM assistant professor of neurology

What Can Be Done?

Of course, the best way to protect against brain injury is to reduce our incidence of having them, such as not playing contact sports. That answer is not an acceptable one for many athletes, though those same athletes have an interest in doing what they can to protect themselves.

VICIS has reimagined the engineering of the football helmet to absorb more shock.
VICIS has reimagined the engineering of the football helmet to absorb more shock. (VICIS)

We can use technology in new ways, like the innovative folks at VICIS who have reimagined the engineering of the football helmet to absorb more shock and displace some of the energy involved in a hit.

How Could Cannabis Help?

Of particular interest, cannabis has been shown to increase blood flow to damaged areas of the brain. Cannabis can help keep tissue healthier by improving circulation.

Not only that, but cannabis has also shown itself effective as a neuroprotectant. Both THC and CBD have been shown to mediate toxicity in the brain in rat studies conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health.

Environment and social choices can have a positive effect on those already affected. Studies have shown that cannabis users are less likely to engage in violent or verbally abusive behavior than those who use alcohol. Those affected by mood irregularities may be able to protect themselves and those they love by simply choosing cannabis over alcohol.

We are a long way from the days of knee-jerk negative reactions to cannabis. As researchers continue to consider cannabis and its possible therapeutic effects on degenerative conditions like CTE, we continue to learn and have the opportunity to improve the lives of people.

I'm extremely interested to hear more on this topic. There's many other article out there, just grabbed one that gave a brief summary of the research that's been done so far.  Hoping more research comes out soon but this is much bigger than just the NFL.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Like this message board?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Heard of a local Florida doctor's office is giving a 2 for one deal. Pay to bend over and have your prostate checked and they do the head split for free.

Edited by Bfanlc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

They ban it when its a better option than opiods for pain.  The phamacutical industry are big backers of Weed being a controled substance.

7 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Seantrel Henderson disagrees

So does all the scientific research that is finally being done and unacknowledged.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They ban it when its a better option than opiods for pain.  The phamacutical industry are big backers of Weed being a controled substance.

So does all the scientific research that is finally being done and unacknowledged.

I don’t doubt that it has benefits but I also think they are being a tad bit exaggerated by people who....just wanna get high and use it recreationally.  I also don’t buy all of the conspiracy theories out there, sorry.  

In the case of Seantrel, it’s a joke because people will use his situation to prove the OP original point.  Seantrel was a big user of recreational marijuana, as evidenced by multiple suspensions throughout his college career, that had nothing to do any medical condition.  Once he got Chrones disease (which appears to be no laughing matter) and later got caught for smoking weed again, many people tried to say “he’s just managing the pain from his illness” discounting his past as a recreational user.   I don’t know what happened for sure but to me, it just seems that the simplest solution was the most likely....if you catch my drift. 

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I don’t doubt that it has benefits but I also think they are being a tad bit exaggerated by people who....just wanna get high and use it recreationally.  I also don’t buy all of the conspiracy theories out there, sorry.  

In the case of Seantrel, it’s a joke because people will use his situation to prove the OP original point.  Seantrel was a big user of recreational marijuana, as evidenced by multiple suspensions throughout his college career, that had nothing to do any medical condition.  Once he got Chrones disease (which appears to be no laughing matter) and later got caught for smoking weed again, many people tried to say “he’s just managing the pain from his illness” discounting his past as a recreational user.   I don’t know what happened for sure but to me, it just seems that the simplest solution was the most likely....if you catch my drift. 

People abuse a lot of things but I can promiise that when used in moderation it has a ton of benefits.  It helpswith anxiety and things of that nature but at the same time if you over do it, anxiety attacks can actually be triggered by it.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

As a dude who has had multiple concussions and whom has consumed copious amounts of marijuana I have come to the scientific conclusion that marijuana is awesome. 

I hope my input and years of research has positively contributed to this post. 

• Haha (+1) 1