How Often Do You Go To The Movies?

It was a real treat as a kid. I still remember seeing Yellow Submarine with my sister, Ben-Hur (must have been a re-release because I’m not THAT old), and Kelly’s Heroes at a Hamburg drive-in with some neighbors. 

The one thing that stands out as an adult was the absolute silence as people filed out after watching American Sniper. 

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Considering the price of soft drinks at those places, I haven't even begun to look at the prices for alcohol. I went to one of those places once, Star Cinema is what it's called here in Texas. Don't know how big the chain is. It was a movie I really wanted to see, and it was the only place with a showing that fit my schedule. I had just had a big steak dinner with family, so I can't speak for the food. They do a decent job of not bothering the other patrons. But I don't like it when I'm trying to watch the end of a movie, and they're having me close out my tab of a Coke Zero and some popcorn. 

I usually go get a small lunch before the movie, so I’m not hungry enoug to pay their crazy prices for snacks! 

I've gone more this year than since I was a kid, maybe 3x a month. I started with Moviepass until they started going downhill, now I have AMC A-List: up to 3 movies a week for $21/month, with my choices including IMAX, IMAX 3D, Dolby (my preference), 3D, and regular. If I see 1 movie a month, the service just about pays for itself.

16 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

The worst thing about going to the movies now is a half hour of trailers for movies that probably suck worse than the movie you went to see that's been remade for the 25th time. 

I generally figure I’m safe at 20 minutes past the posted start time. If I DO go for the trailers, it mostly confirms what garbage I need to avoid. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was a real treat as a kid. I still remember seeing Yellow Submarine with my sister, Ben-Hur (must have been a re-release because I’m not THAT old), and Kelly’s Heroes at a Hamburg drive-in with some neighbors. 

The one thing that stands out as an adult was the absolute silence as people filed out after watching American Sniper. 

It was a treat as a kid. The Saturday matinees??Here’s the cool thing. They turned the theater in town into a restaurant. My dad bought the restaurant in 1975. I loved going upstairs and snooping around the projection room. 

20 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

It was a treat as a kid. The Saturday matinees??Here’s the cool thing. They turned the theater in town into a restaurant. My dad bought the restaurant in 1975. I loved going upstairs and snooping around the projection room. 

HA! I had a friend who worked at the bank with me at the bank in Hilton Head who had a part time gig running the movies at the theater at Coligny Circle. He went up into the projection room upstairs and sat their watching movies and ignoring the “no smoking” policy, just trying not to giggle himself into getting caught! 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

How the dickens could you watch JJ’s three Star Treks?!  I got whiplash and epileptic seizures from them on the big screen!  ?

I know what you mean. I'm disappointed in a lot of movies that substitute high-speed action for plot and dialog, and JJ's Star Trek adaptations are among them. It's still fun to see the old characters in new settings, but I could definitely live without the whiplash effects.

Seems like the Star Wars series hasn't fallen into that trend quite as much as Trek.

• Like (+1) 1

Usually about once every 1-2 months. But back in 2013 when I was single and working nights, and Movie Pass was still $30/month, I was going 3-4 times a week. I would go catch a matinee, then go into work. I definitely got my money's worth doing that. 

3 hours ago, The Jerk said:

The worst thing about going to the movies now is a half hour of trailers for movies that probably suck worse than the movie you went to see that's been remade for the 25th time. 

In the past two years or so we discovered the miracle of assigned seating. Half hour of trailers problem solved.

25 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Superhero movies only

At the risk of misinterpreting a post of yours for the second time today, #metoo

First date with wifey-to-be was a movie. Can't think of another time we went to the movies since then without one of our boys.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

That's what she said.

Ahh, you win round two! I’d have been surprised if that went neglected! We can count on you guys!

(I’m done now, so if you find anything else here, you’re just a perv....not that there’s anything wrong with that...)