Reading Between the Lines of Sean McDermott’s Press Conference

Based on Sean McDermott’s press conference, there’s a few things that I was able to take away.  Of course this is my speculation because McDermott doesn’t say too much so this is my interpretation.

- He’s not happy with any of players who had those timely drops - specifically Foster, McKenzie and Logan Thomas.  Also Jason Croom.  When talking about settling for FG’s in the red zone he said “When you get a chance to make plays, you have to make plays,” seemed to speak specifically to Foster and Thomas who had a chance to score a big TD and keep the game close.  He was asked about Croom and he said that a TD there would have changed the game.  

- Things may not be so simpatico with old pal Juan Castillo.  He said he expected to run the ball better and was disappointed with the results.  This could be take as a knock to Castilllo, Shady, or maybe even Brian Daboll.  Still I think Daboll has done enough with the offense and has gotten good progression from Allen.  He’s going nowhere, but Castillo could be a goner if McDermott brings in a new OL/Run Game Coordinator.  I think we’ve seen the end of Shady too.  

- McDermott was not happy with the play of Edmunds or Corey Thompson in run support.  He specially mentioned how they didn’t read or get off their blocks.  That spoke to Thompson on the edge and Edmunds in the middle.  I think Edmunds has been dreadful all season long.  It would not surprised me to see him moved to the outside if they can find a suitable MLB.  He is terrible.

-  While there was no mention of Special Teams, you have to think Crossman is out of a job next week.  

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Based on Sean McDermott’s press conference, there’s a few things that I was able to take away.  Of course this is my speculation because McDermott doesn’t say too much so this is my interpretation.

- He’s not happy with any of players who had those timely drops - specifically Foster, McKenzie and Logan Thomas.  Also Jason Croom.  When talking about settling for FG’s in the red zone he said “When you get a chance to make plays, you have to make plays,” seemed to speak specifically to Foster and Thomas who had a chance to score a big TD and keep the game close.  He was asked about Croom and he said that a TD there would have changed the game.  

- Things may not be so simpatico with old pal Juan Castillo.  He said he expected to run the ball better and was disappointed with the results.  This could be take as a knock to Castilllo, Shady, or maybe even Brian Daboll.  Still I think Daboll has done enough with the offense and has gotten good progression from Allen.  He’s going nowhere, but Castillo could be a goner if McDermott brings in a new OL/Run Game Coordinator.  I think we’ve seen the end of Shady too.  

- McDermott was not happy with the play of Edmunds or Corey Thompson in run support.  He specially mentioned how they didn’t read or get off their blocks.  That spoke to Thompson on the edge and Edmunds in the middle.  I think Edmunds has been dreadful all season long.  It would not surprised me to see him moved to the outside if they can find a suitable MLB.  He is terrible.

-  While there was no mention of Special Teams, you have to think Crossman is out of a job next week.  

So basically, this is complete speculation on your behalf? Gotcha. Thanks for your insight

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, JM57 said:

Edmunds has not been perfect, but dreadful?

Excuse me barkeep, I'll have what he's having.

I don't know about dreadful, but I've watched him all year and he hasn't shown me that he's tough enough to play the middle.  He's always standing around the pile, helping up the guy who made the tackle.   That's not the attitude you want with your middle linebacker.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

Edmunds has not been perfect, but dreadful?

Excuse me barkeep, I'll have what he's having.

He has been pretty bad.  Many of the struggles in rush defense can be largely attributed to Edmunds.  He has NOT been very good this season and IMO he’s had a disappointing year.  Spare me your “he’s 20 years old” argument.  I just don’t think he’s very good at MLB in this defense and I think that out front office (who I normally support) made a very bad pick in Edmunds.  Maybe he’ll make me eat my words.  I hope so, but I don’t think he has it - at least not at MLB

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

I would say Edmunds has been very inconsistent but certainly not dreadful when describing the whole season.

Good point, perhaps dreadful was the wrong word.  I don’t feel he’s very good though 

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

So basically, this is complete speculation on your behalf? Gotcha. Thanks for your insight

Yep, just like the majority of topics in this forum 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah Edmunds has been bad, maybe not dreadful. The issue is, when you think about any MLB who dominates in this league, they dominate from Day 1. He has not done that. Save the "Hey's 20" nonsense. Been playing his whole life, no excuses. He's Example B (Allen being A) of this FO love affair with physical freaks. That's great but if they're not smart, well...

....I found these tidbits between the lines...........

1, Basking in the limelight of the NFL's #1 ranked defense. Frazier was masterful. Surrendering 273 on the ground was "bend don't break" to perfection.
2. Shady mailed it in. He had more yards in the tunnel on his way to the field than he did between the stripes. Bills should have traded him? The interest in a 30 yr old RB due $12 mil over two years had to be astonishing. Only movement on that front was 31 GM's bowels.
3. McClappy and Dabumble certainly are the pinnacle of offensive prowess. I'd rate that duo right up there with Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Mutt & Jeff, and even Sylvester & Tweety Bird.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His overall play at the position has been mostly bad. 

He has made a few nice tackles in pass coverage.  I can remember a few times when he was right on a RB sand stopped them short of the sticks with a good tackle in coverage.

but his mishaps in the run game and not getting in his zone have far exceeded any flashes he’s shown.  He has been bad

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ok he's shown flashes but has mostly been bad.

Hows that? 

Yes he had a bad game BUT he’s still a rookie and a young one at that , I would put more blame on McD’s boy from Carolina who got $50 million to help to stop the run , 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I disagree.

I don't agree either but he hasn't been good.  There were a few games this year where he was a major reason they lost.  For being as large as he is he really doesn't play physically imposing football.  And for as fast as he is he really isn't blowing me away with his coverage skills.

9 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

He has been pretty bad.  Many of the struggles in rush defense can be largely attributed to Edmunds.  He has NOT been very good this season and IMO he’s had a disappointing year.  Spare me your “he’s 20 years old” argument.  I just don’t think he’s very good at MLB in this defense and I think that out front office (who I normally support) made a very bad pick in Edmunds.  Maybe he’ll make me eat my words.  I hope so, but I don’t think he has it - at least not at MLB

Good point, perhaps dreadful was the wrong word.  I don’t feel he’s very good though 

Yep, just like the majority of topics in this forum 

The majority are speculation? Of a post game press conference? Deciphered by the likes of you? ? smoke em if you got em bud

17 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think you're spot on with your analysis.  I mean for those who watch the NFL on a regular basis the big plays that were left on the field by the WR's & TE's today cost us the game.  When you have a rookie QB that is blowing hot & cold in the same game making a couple of these plays can make a world of difference with the rookies confidence and the outcome of the game.

It's actually refreshing that the coach saw it this way. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know about dreadful, but I've watched him all year and he hasn't shown me that he's tough enough to play the middle.  He's always standing around the pile, helping up the guy who made the tackle.   That's not the attitude you want with your middle linebacker.  

Correct. He hasn’t shown a ton at MLB in the NFL. Which is fine because he’s never actually played MLB even in college. He’s a 4-3 OLB. This FO would be smart to take a guy they like in the 3rd if he’s there at MLB. Flank him with Edmunds and Milano. 

A guy like Preston Brown comes to mind. Not great. Not expensive. Plays well enough. Will look much better with two very athletic guys on either side of him. 

Just my two cents

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea.

I'm not sure why fans have such an issue with this.

He looks lost at MLB. Give him a chance at OLB/3rd down pass rushing end and see if he can thrive there. 

First of all....he does not look lost.  He look like he is learning the position

Second if they decide to move him to OLB if they find a better run stop LB for MLB I am totall ok with that

31 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

They are his opinions. This board is full of opinions.  

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

First of all....he does not look lost.  He look like he is learning the position

Second if they decide to move him to OLB if they find a better run stop LB for MLB I am totall ok with that

Well, if he's not lost then his map doesn't incorporate the most direct route to the ball carrier. Would you at least agree that he appears overwhelmed?

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Yeah Edmunds has been bad, maybe not dreadful. The issue is, when you think about any MLB who dominates in this league, they dominate from Day 1. He has not done that. Save the "Hey's 20" nonsense. Been playing his whole life, no excuses. He's Example B (Allen being A) of this FO love affair with physical freaks. That's great but if they're not smart, well...

Like I have said in other threads, Edmunds has poor fundamentals- plays too high, doesnt lower pads, bad angles, over pursues, doesnt tackle well- these things are nothing new it has gone on all season. MLB isnt his true position. Even then, he still has to get better with basic football 101 stuff that should be fine tuned in college.

• Thank you (+1) 1