Bills fall from 6th to 10th in Draft Order

Big Turk

To me, once a franchise believes they have found a QB to build with for the future, tanking is not as important. If you don't think what you saw from Josh Allen yesterday and the reactions of the players and coaches are important to build a winning team and culture for this team, then you need to look closer. What is important going forward is not where the Bills are picking, it is who they are picking.

Beane was ultimately going to be judged on two events:

1. What QB he selects to be 'the guy'

2. The 2019 offseason with oodles of cap space and picks.

#2 on the way.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Bills most likely scenario is they finish 6-10 losing to the Pats on the road and beating Miami at home...

That probably will keep us in the top 10 but if we lose both that would be ideal, especially if we have good offensive showings in both games.

It would be nice but i don't see them winning either of their last 2 games ? The Pats are pissed & have had our number for years & the Fins are playing really good or at least it seems that way .

I hope they prove me wrong but it wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing as the rest of this season is to see what we have on the roster as keepers a top 5 draft pick would be a nice consolation prize to get our starting LT of the future !! 

2 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

When you have what appears to be your franchise qb, draft position is not nearly as important. For the past 15 years or so, it seems that being near the top for a qb or an elite talent was necessary in order to give hope for the next year. But with Allen looking like the answer, he already gives us hope for next year. And with the scouting staff seemingly being able to identify talent in the later rounds or on the street, it also gives you confidence that dropping down a few slots is not going to matter as much. Too many times in the past I have wanted the Bills to lose games at the end of the season to gain draft position. This year and of course last year have been different. I just want to see the young guys like Allen, Foster, McKenzie, Edmunds etc. keep building and having success. That is much more important that losing a few draft slots. Having a franchise qb completely changes the mentality surrounding the draft and it feels great to finally have that feeling.

Just read this and realized we had the same point in the beginning. Great post

• Like (+1) 1

My take on the whole draft position is

1. I can NEVER root for a Bills loss

2. The season will play out the way it's supposed to and we have no control as fans so sit back and enjoy watching your team play (and hopefully win)

3. Though picking earlier in the draft may give you a better chance at landing a better prospect, playing good and winning on Sundays gives you a better chance at bringing in free agents (who actually have stats in the NFL instead of an unknown rookie)

4. If somehow we draft top 5, I'm all for trading down and stockpiling picks but if we draft closer to 10, I say just sit tight and draft your guy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

3. Though picking earlier in the draft may give you a better chance at landing a better prospect, playing good and winning on Sundays gives you a better chance at bringing in free agents (who actually have stats in the NFL instead of an unknown rookie)

I disagree with that.  It's far better to build a team through the draft.

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who's trading up for a defender?

The Saints did it just last year. It would have to be a similarly "high ceiling" pass rusher. There are a few in this class, but the difference is this is a deep pass rush group. Last year's was a shallow group which might have created a sense of urgency for the Saints in getting their guy.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The Saints did it just last year. It would have to be a similarly "high ceiling" pass rusher. There are a few in this class, but the difference is this is a deep pass rush group. Last year's was a shallow group which might have created a sense of urgency for the Saints in getting their guy.

I'd be interested in seeing data, but that strikes me as more of an aberration than a norm.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd be interested in seeing data, but that strikes me as more of an aberration than a norm.

Oh it is certainly out of the ordinary. The Dolphins moved up to #3 for a pass rusher in 2013 (the busting Dion Jordan) can't immediately recall any others in recent years where people have made major move ups in the first round to take a pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh it is certainly out of the ordinary. The Dolphins moved up to #3 for a pass rusher in 2013 (the busting Dion Jordan) can't immediately recall any others in recent years where people have made major move ups in the first round to take a pass rusher.

Kind of exactly my point. I'd like to see a 7-9 finish for this team. That, my fine bangers-n-mash eating friend, would be nothing short of miraculous given how the season started.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Kind of exactly my point. I'd like to see a 7-9 finish for that team. That, my fine bangers-n-mash eating friend, would be nothing short of miraculous given how the season started.

To me the last two results matter much less than the last two performances. If we see more play from Josh Allen the likes of which we saw yesterday (especially 1st half) then two wins and draft 13th or two defeats and draft 6 it doesn't really matter to me. Results are about 2019 and beyond. I'm not hoping for them to lose, but if I see Allen play two more good games and the Bills still lose that will not worry me. I actually want New England to score on us a bit next week. I want to see Allen in a "keep pace" type game. IT will be valuable experience for him (and for Daboll calling plays for him). How did you still press without over pressing?

• Like (+1) 1

At this point any difference in draft position will be small. Most important thing I want to see is continued improvement from our young guys on O and QB and a defense that’s got mostly everyone under contract next year. If that means they win out and draft 14th because they went 7-9 rather than 9th because they go 6-10, so be it. 

38 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who's trading up for a defender?

There were 10 trade ups in the first round last year, including several for defenders.  Does the name Tremaine Edwards mean anything to you?