The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Looks like Donald Trump just threw a wrench in Dems’ shutdown narrative

Looks like congressional Dems will have to find another shutdown talking point now that Donald Trump has just signed this bill into law:

DxDzoRbU8AA-v92.jpg

So much for democrat propaganda that he'd refuse to sign this.

Sweet can people print that out and pay rent or buy food with it.

My wife and I are both federal employees. We have no idea when this shutdown will end and we are already struggling to figure out how to pay our bills. Between the 2 of us we have a good 50 applications out for work while the government is shutdown but my guess is nobody is calling because they don't want to hire someone to probably just lose them once the government opens back up. 

Retroactive pay is great but it doesn't pay the bills now. 

For the record - anyone who blames this shutdown on anyone other than Donald Trump is living in an alternative universe. Republicans in the Senate have passed multiple bills that would reopen the government. Trump won't sign them! The house has sent 6 passed bills over to the Senate but McConnell isn't taking those to the floor even though the Senate has the votes because - Trump won't sign them! Before the new members of Congress flipped the house the house and Senate agreed on a bill to fund the government and Trump informed them he would sign the bill until every Fox News pundit said it was a weak move that would destroy his Presidency and called for him to shut down the government. Trump then renigged on the deal and refused to sign! Trump himself in that infamous meeting with Pelosi and Schumer said he would shutdown the government and take the blame. 

To recap - Republican and Democrats in the house and Senate have the votes. They just don't have Trump. This is the Fox News / Trump shutdown. 

Whether you think a wall is a good idea or not is irrelevant.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

My wife and I are both federal employees. We have no idea when this shutdown will end and we are already struggling to figure out how to pay our bills. Between the 2 of us we have a good 50 applications out for work while the government is shutdown but my guess is nobody is calling because they don't want to hire someone to probably just lose them once the government opens back up. 

For the record - anyone who blames this shutdown on anyone other than Donald Trump is living in an alternative universe. Republicans in the Senate have passed multiple bills that would reopen the government. Trump won't sign them! The house has sent 6 passed bills over to the Senate but McConnell isn't taking those to the floor even though the Senate has the votes because - Trump won't sign them! Before the new members of Congress flipped the house the house and Senate agreed on a bill to fund the government and Trump informed them he would sign the bill until every Fox News pundit said it was a weak move that would destroy his Presidency and called for him to shut down the government. Trump then renigged on the deal and refused to sign! Trump himself in that infamous meeting with Pelosi and Schumer said he would shutdown the government and take the blame. 

To recap - Republican and Democrats in the house and Senate have the votes. They just don't have Trump. This is the Fox News / Trump shutdown. 

It also doesn't pay the contractors that are just kind of ***** out of luck until the government starts hiring them again.

7 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

I'm sorry to hear that like so many other people, you and your wife are in a personal financial bind due to the partial shutdown, but there's plenty of blame to go around. Both the president and congressional democrats are dug in and each refuses to budge. Your characterization of Trump as being the only one to blame isn't accurate, because the dems could just as easily give in and provide the $5B for the wall/barrier/fence/whatever. I don't see how any resolution will be possible until people realize that both sides are to blame.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Azalin said:

I'm sorry to hear that like so many other people, you and your wife are in a personal financial bind due to the partial shutdown, but there's plenty of blame to go around. Both the president and congressional democrats are dug in and each refuses to budge. Your characterization of Trump as being the only one to blame isn't accurate, because the dems could just as easily give in and provide the $5B for the wall/barrier/fence/whatever. I don't see how any resolution will be possible until people realize that both sides are to blame.

I both agree and disagree at the same time. On the one hand no it's not Democrats fault that the President is holding the government hostage until he gets that wall he wants. That is not how government is suppose to work and if it becomes the new normal we're in for a world of hurt.

On the other hand with all the responsibility hanging on the Republicans and Trump the Democrats are probably more than happy to let this hang on them for a while and that really sucks.

13 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

2 things:

If you and your wife haven't prepared for this possibility of a shutdown you're idiots. Furthermore, if you are looking for work then you must have the time to work. That tells me you must not be an essential employee.

The democrats have been disingenuous regarding immigration for decades and they really don't give 2 ***** about DACA.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

2 things:

If you and your wife haven't prepared for this possibility of a shutdown you're idiots. Furthermore, if you are looking for work then you must have the time to work. That tells me you must not be an essential employee.

The democrats have been disingenuous regarding immigration for decades and they really don't give 2 ***** about DACA.

What an arrogant and ignorant thing to say. 80% of all Americans live paycheck to paycheck. It's not easy to "prepare" for this. 

Correct - right now we are not considered "essential" but do you even understand what that means? It's terminology. It doesn't mean our jobs aren't both important and necessary. Essential employees typically just work in departments with strict statutes. Meaning if things are not completed by the statute the government has a major problem. Once a statute is blown there is no catching up on it later. 

It doesn't help either that Long Island has either the first or 2nd highest cost of living in the country. 

3 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

What an arrogant and ignorant thing to say. 80% of all Americans live paycheck to paycheck. It's not easy to "prepare" for this. 

Correct - right now we are not considered "essential" but do you even understand what that means? It's terminology. It doesn't mean our jobs aren't both important and necessary. Essential employees typically just work in departments with strict statutes. Meaning if things are not completed by the statute the government has a major problem. Once a statute is blown there is no catching up on it later. 

It doesn't help either that Long Island has either the first or 2nd highest cost of living in the country. 

Who said it was easy? You both work for the federal government and know that getting furloughed is a distinct possibility. Any responsible adult would plan accordingly. I presume you live on LI. Is that by your choice or is someone forcing you to do so?

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Who said it was easy? You both work for the federal government and know that getting furloughed is a distinct possibility. Any responsible adult would plan accordingly. I presume you live on LI. Is that by your choice or is someone forcing you to do so?

I don't need to justify my life or why I live where I do to you. You are clearly an arrogant and ignorant human being who lacks any sort of empathy when people have a different party affiliation because you're too busy being a party line hack. 

Back to the point of my post before your senseless garbage. Trump is fully responsible, along with Fox News for calling for and then creating this shutdown. When Trump renigged on the initial deal - congressional Republicans were shocked. They were told he'd sign. 

We could debate the wall and how to best secure the border and we could debate what the budget should be but there is no debating that this shutdown isn't 100% the chosen leverage Trump is using to try and get his wall, period. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

2 things:

If all government jobs are so unstable like this then you should think they should come with a plan to mitigate issues like this.

1 hour ago, SoCoBills said:

Hang in there!  Try to work with your creditors... Many are putting notices up on how to obtain a forbearance. They can't get blood out of a stone.

Don't let the Basket of Deplorables get you down... They are sad, bitter and jealous... Insecure with their own lives... It's just the way some people are hardwired.  Their moral compass is shot.  Shallow people, petty people.

You'll get your back pay... Gov't is on hook for their share of health premiums and the furloughed haven't kicked in their 40% of the premiums... It will add up fast at 800,00 employees furloughed.  It will begin to ripple through economy Trump's inability to make a deal.

Until then... Get forbearances in order.  Make extra $$$$$$ and try to come out ahead.

The Trump Shutdown will cripple Trump in ways his foul mouth and corrupt behavior can't because his Basket of Deplorable Snowflake Base turn a blind eye (see flaws above) to the man's serious transgressions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Too funny:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c3fec2be4b027c3bbbdef31/amp

Pelosi owns Trump, that's how you handle dogs:

"One of President Donald Trump’s favorite insult is to compare people to dogs. 

But “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert said Trump’s now in the doghouse himself after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) asked to postpone the State of the Union address. 

“Trump acts like the big dog,” Colbert cracked. “But she won’t let the dog into her House because she knows he’s going to poop everywhere.” 

https://mobile.twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1085713314091479042?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-5121258802721338535.ampproject.net%2F1901081935550%2Fframe.html

6 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

Go ***** yourself.  Go get a job and quit your bitching. 

Your weak little feeble mind needs this time off to contemplate life. Your butthurt over the president should be an indication of where you belong. Go work in the private sector like a real adult. Me thinks you'd not make it.

Sucks to suck, I weep no tears for you.

5 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

Yeah.  That's sucks.  I just think of the janitors in some of those federal buildings and other low paying jobs that are most impacted by a government shutdown.  That's why nobody wins in a government shutdown.  Obama's approval ratings went down in 2013 even though a majority of Americans blamed the Republican Congress for the shutdown.  It just seems by watching that meeting with Trump/Shumer/Pelosi/Pence (kind of) that there aren't any adults in the room during this childish stalemate.  Trump was dumb enough to say he'd take the blame and Pelosi was dumb enough to call the wall "immoral."  How the hell can you compromise with money for a wall when you're funding something that makes you immoral?

25 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Your weak little feeble mind needs this time off to contemplate life. Your butthurt over the president should be an indication of where you belong. Go work in the private sector like a real adult. Me thinks you'd not make it.

What you do to the least of them, you do to me.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Too funny:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c3fec2be4b027c3bbbdef31/amp

Pelosi owns Trump, that's how you handle dogs:

"One of President Donald Trump’s favorite insult is to compare people to dogs. 

But “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert said Trump’s now in the doghouse himself after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) asked to postpone the State of the Union address. 

“Trump acts like the big dog,” Colbert cracked. “But she won’t let the dog into her House because she knows he’s going to poop everywhere.” 

https://mobile.twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1085713314091479042?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-5121258802721338535.ampproject.net%2F1901081935550%2Fframe.html

Pelosi owns you.     You support her 29 million dollar bank account ??

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Piece of *****!

54 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Look, another piece of *****!