The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

You boys are stone cold dreaming if you thing the GOP is going to agree to permanent amnesty.....

I said it's what she should offer with most of the public in favor of it anyways as far as the DACA kids/young adults go.

Edited by Doc Brown

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Most of America would oppose permanent amnesty as well, even a large number (if not the majority) of Democrats.  Maybe not the ideologues in DC, on TV, or in Academia, but the Democrats in flyover country

Trump has given Nancy a way out to show she can be bipartisan rather than succumb to the fringe of her caucus

What are your thoughts on Boardwalk Empire?

Boardwalk Empire was great but did fall off at the end. A lot of shows get away from their roots after several seasons and lose their audiences because of it. Ray Donovan started to do that last year and early this year with flashbacks, but I think they've righted themselves.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Boardwalk Empire was great but did fall off at the end. A lot of shows get away from their roots after several seasons and lose their audiences because of it. Ray Donovan started to do that last year and early this year with flashbacks, but I think they've righted themselves.

It just seemed like Buscemi said ‘I’m out’ and they didn’t know how to end it. 

The dynamics are different this term what with all the changes. Last term the R's held the House and were split with the more moderate being able to accept some sort of amnesty while the conservatives didn't want any part of it. They both could have agreed on a wall. The D's on the other hand wouldn't cooperate with the R's. This term the D's could get some sort of amnesty passed but don't want the wall. Nothing is going to get agreed to without Nancy casting aside the left by agreeing to a wall.

28 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

It just seemed like Buscemi said ‘I’m out’ and they didn’t know how to end it. 

Boardwalk Empire should have ended the Buscemi / Nucky storyline after Season 4 and spun the series off into either a Capone / Van Alden / Eli series or a Lucky Luciano / Meyer Lansky series

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Was that Nancy Pelosi running around Atlanta Airport naked offering to give every man head?

She wanted to reduce the waiting time so she emptied the airport. With that said I'm a little embarrassed to be responding to your tacky post.

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

They had to quickly kill off the second leading man at the end of the first season, and Steve B isn’t honestly a leading man.

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dynamics are different this term what with all the changes. Last term the R's held the House and were split with the more moderate being able to accept some sort of amnesty while the conservatives didn't want any part of it. They both could have agreed on a wall. The D's on the other hand wouldn't cooperate with the R's. This term the D's could get some sort of amnesty passed but don't want the wall. Nothing is going to get agreed to without Nancy casting aside the left by agreeing to a wall.

Trump and Pelosi aren't good negotiators.  Trump didn't do himself any favors in the court of public opinion clearly changing his mind at the last second on not signing the bill and then saying he'd take the blame for the shutdown in front of the cameras.  Meanwhile, Pelosi calls the wall "immoral" and therefore any compromise that includes wall funding makes her commit an immoral act according to her definition.

One thing I liked about Trump's speech today is he finally gave a little clarification that it wouldn't be one continuous wall/barrier along the Mexican border.  It might convince some people that there tax money won't be wasted on an ineffective and expensive project that's unlikely to be completed.

UNEXPECTEDLY: Democrats Immediately Reject Trump’s Offer to End Shutdown.

This is a wise sentence, from @jpodhoretz:

"The discredited BuzzFeed story advances the dreadful case that there is no truth -- that there are only agendas."

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/the-buzzfeed-story/ …

623874f3299de02dd284ce7af7ba8ad8a3dc2085