Two things I want to see this week from McD

Overall I like our coach.   He's obviously awful at challenges, (I think we've lost all 11 red flags except one) although that call isn't made directly from Sean, he has to approve whether or not to challenge.  He's hopefully learning to be a better game caller with clock management, play calls that match the clock situation and location on the field etc.   I think this stuff all comes with experience--he's not even through his second year--and we all know this year is about PATIENCE.     

We're #2 in the league for penalties right now.  It seems like every special teams play we run there is going to be another yellow flag on somebody, and we've seen how some of these other penalties can change games very easily (yeah Jordan Phillips, you may have cost us that game fool).  Sean talks about discipline as a cornerstone of our team culture, but it's not translating to the field.  We have a lot of undisciplined play still, and it's costing us dearly.    

Just take this week, channel some Marv Levy and put extra focus on special teams.  Listening to Steve Tasker on WGR yesterday he was out of his mind with the way special teams is being coached and played on this team.   From hitting McKenzie with TWO of our own guys on a punt return (game changer) to losing huge chunks of yards for blocks in the back, our special teams is a mess.  Get it fixed Sean.  Seriously, we have a legit punt/kick returner for the first time in a very long time and we can't even let the guy fair catch the ball much less legally block for him once he does.   This reflects directly on the coach and he gets a D grade from me, not just for this past game either.    (in honor of Tommy Boy, I'll give him a D plus)

Secondly, please cut ties with your Carolina past completely and release KBenjamin.   Everyone knows why, we all see the lack of effort, ineffectiveness.  It's not funny any more.  You aren't retaining him, we're developing a surprisingly good WR core here and all four of our WR's need to develop their chemistry with Josh.  Zay, McKenzie, Foster and even Deonte might win a spot in camp next year.  These guys are playing hard, getting separation, making plays and have a future with this team.  KB has none of that.   

Send a message to the team and the fans that you practice what you preach and do what's best for the team always.

• Like (+1) 3

I am trying to figure out what KB actually does for this team at this point that another speedy wideout could not do.......

He looks like he suprises himself when he actually catches the ball

He is the laziest player on the team......effort....blocking.....all of it

Then there is the maddening thing that he should do well but just cannot do.....catch touchdowns that hit him right in the hands or he wont reach out to secure a touchdown that he can make a play on

Make him inactive......play another player that you are trying to decide if you want to keep next year.....

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Overall I like our coach.   He's obviously awful at challenges, (I think we've lost all 11 red flags except one) although that call isn't made directly from Sean, he has to approve whether or not to challenge.  He's hopefully learning to be a better game caller with clock management, play calls that match the clock situation and location on the field etc.   I think this stuff all comes with experience--he's not even through his second year--and we all know this year is about PATIENCE.     

We're #2 in the league for penalties right now.  It seems like every special teams play we run there is going to be another yellow flag on somebody, and we've seen how some of these other penalties can change games very easily (yeah Jordan Phillips, you may have cost us that game fool).  Sean talks about discipline as a cornerstone of our team culture, but it's not translating to the field.  We have a lot of undisciplined play still, and it's costing us dearly.    

Just take this week, channel some Marv Levy and put extra focus on special teams.  Listening to Steve Tasker on WGR yesterday he was out of his mind with the way special teams is being coached and played on this team.   From hitting McKenzie with TWO of our own guys on a punt return (game changer) to losing huge chunks of yards for blocks in the back, our special teams is a mess.  Get it fixed Sean.  Seriously, we have a legit punt/kick returner for the first time in a very long time and we can't even let the guy fair catch the ball much less legally block for him once he does.   This reflects directly on the coach and he gets a D grade from me, not just for this past game either.    (in honor of Tommy Boy, I'll give him a D plus)

Secondly, please cut ties with your Carolina past completely and release KBenjamin.   Everyone knows why, we all see the lack of effort, ineffectiveness.  It's not funny any more.  You aren't retaining him, we're developing a surprisingly good WR core here and all four of our WR's need to develop their chemistry with Josh.  Zay, McKenzie, Foster and even Deonte might win a spot in camp next year.  These guys are playing hard, getting separation, making plays and have a future with this team.  KB has none of that.   

Send a message to the team and the fans that you practice what you preach and do what's best for the team always.

I agree with a lot of this.

Game and clock management are both about being conservative and unprepared. I've seen plenty of first or second year coaches do just fine with it, and I've seen plenty of veteran coaches that started out having problems with it and still do. This is a real problem with McDermott and he hasn't shown any signs of progressing with it. The second year coach thing isn't an excuse. I'm not sure he even realizes it's a problem, which if he doesn't, it's probably not going to get fixed. 

The challenges are also a big issue. That's all about organizational skills and the system he's putting in place, which is obviously a horrific one. And one that's also spilled into year 2 now without getting any better. What concerns me is him saying "well, I can't always see all the plays from where I am" after the game. Yes, we know that. No coach can. That's why you need to put the right people in place to review those plays and tell you whether to challenge or not. It goes hand in hand with what i mentioned above...it's hard to tell if he knows where the problem lies, which explains why it hasn't been fixed and why it may not at all.

The whole KB thing is so contradictory to everything Beane and McDermott have been saying. This is why I had a lot of fun with McDermott's "culture over talent" nonsense. There is no way anyone can justify KB still being around if culture is actually a thing here. 

The message that's really being sent is: Culture matters...unless we traded any kind of meaningful asset for you and you're making a little bit of money.  

Send Crossman and KB on their merry way. Bring in the best ST and OL coach available who doesn't have a Carolina connection. Whoever is advising him on challenging needs to go too (Did he come from Carolina too or did he keep the same guy who was advising Rex?)

And PLEASE cut down on all that F/N clapping on the sidelines

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am trying to figure out what KB actually does for this team at this point that another speedy wideout could not do.......

Then there is the maddening thing that he should do well but just cannot do.....catch touchdowns that hit him right in the hands or he wont reach out to secure a touchdown that he can make a play on

Make him inactive......play another player that you are trying to decide if you want to keep next year.....

Right in the Jags game when he caught that one it was like "WTH is this thing?" and he bobbled and almost dropped it.

It's been a flukey year for special teams. The punter issues are uncommon, given the fact that they've kept Cory Carter on IR and didn't outright release him tells me they were prepared to give him the starting job over Schmidt, but he got injured. Then they sign Bojo...Booo... that kid that wears #9, he gets hurt, Schmidt comes back, can't get any hangtime on his punts and now this Matt Darr fella is in there. I think he did a pretty solid job on Sunday, though. 

The one thing to remember in all of this is how young this team is... so, as they move forward with the young guys, they realize they're probably gonna have to eat some bad penalties here and there just because of inexperience. Most special teams units in the league consist of backups or first/second year players trying to carve out a spot on the team. However, inexperience or not, the fumbled punt from Sunday is something that really shouldn't ever happen. The returner knows its his job to alert his teammates if he's choosing not to catch the punt. And players hear that key word and know they need to get away from the ball. I don't know if McKenzie didn't shout the key word or if he did and guys didn't hear it or just had no awareness of where the ball was but that type of stuff is so avoidable and it's the type of play that'll give a coach an instant ulcer.

I'm as surprised as anyone that Danny Crossman is with his THIRD different coaching staff here. He was hired by Marrone and held over with Rex and now McDermott. I assume all three of those guys view Crossman as a quality coach. And with the inexperienced players on special teams as well as the injuries to the punters, I can honestly see Crossman returning again next season in a "stay the course" type of thing. McDermott understands when certain positions need an outright upgrade but he also understands consistency with coaches. Not real sure which way he'll lean with Crossman but my gut tells me that he stays with the caveat that McDermott needs to see marked improvement in 2019, and hopefully no more mistakes in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

Seeing as how we are not in the playoffs and are pretty much seeing McBeane do nothing with Crossman or KB they are trying to save cap space for next season.  To much nepotism with Peterman, Murphy, and Crossman and KB.  And, Murphy was where we needed an offensive linemen or receiver option.  That’s what is sticking to this team now.  We cannot rebuild when half the team is veterans on IR or underperforming defensive lineman flops like Star.  We don’t wind up with any OL help or receiver options and waste salary cap space on “process” morale victory players.  If it’s a loss end the process already and bring in a Coach and management with drive.  

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I could give you at least ten lazy KB moments wether it was blocking, route running, or even tackling- but we all know what they are.

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

You're welcome. 

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Fire Crossman.  Send a message that way.   I don't mind cutting KB either at this point. 

....exactly what redeeming coaching prowess does this guy have that makes him a multi-regime holdover?........or does he have the same pictures Castillo does?....I missed the memo..........