Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

Julio is going to have to want to come here. And I assure you he does not want to go to a developing 4-8 team. Sorry.

But to correct a wide-spread assumption on this thread, Julio can be had for just a 2nd rounder. That's it. The rule is you never trade a 1st for a WR. Only for a QB. In 2003, Buffalo traded Peerless Price to Atlanta for a 1st (franchise, then sign and trade) so they would have a number one guy for Michael Vick, they became the laughing stock of the league for giving up that pick. That was the last time a team gave up a 1st for a WR.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I also actually believe that they will try to make a run at Julio.  I am certain that Beane will do whatever he can possibly  with reason do to get him elite talent at the pass catching level.

If they do it will be to bring an elite veteran receiver that can help the young core.  I see our future WR including Zay Jones, Robert Foster,  Ray Ray, and either a 1st or 2nd round WR in next years draft along with a veteran stud like Jones. 

Im for it. Although a 30 year old receiver isn’t ideal. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

We’re building a young (and cheap) team to move forward. I don’t see an expensive flashy move for a guy who will be over the hill by the time we are seriously competing. 

The young and cheap groundwork has been established. Eventually you also have to become “buyers”

to compliment the young and cheap method.  Much like the Sabres have got the foundation now and will be “buyers” at this years trade deadline. Eventually when you get close you do what it takes to win now.  If you watch the games we are already competing at a high level. We are not years away, we are a year away. 

Edited by Estelle Getty

17 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

He wasn't talking about that McKenzie. Reggie McKensize is the Ring Of Honor former Buffalo guard who led the OL for OJ Simpson.

They’re both Reggies, and neither is Isaac McKittrick. 

Edited by transient

He'll be 30 in February.

How often have they or the Panthers where they learned their trade brought in one of the top two or three FAs (or expensive trades) of the year? Over 30? While trading away a high pick (from guys who have sworn they will build through the draft)? Standard (and reasonable) wisdom says you can trade away high pick for a QB but you're generally giving away too much at other positions.

100 : 1 shot, is my guess.

More, why would the Falcons let him go? Ryan's 33. They don't have time to take a few seasons to get things together. They need to work at winning right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

A match made in heaven.  He wants a new contract. The Falcons just took Ridley in the 1st round and will probably be rebuilding with a new coach. He will be 30 next year and has shown no signs of slowing down.  

I actually EXPECT Beane to make a run for him this off season.  We have seen he likes to wheel and deal and next year he will have the $ and picks at his disposal.  It fills probably our biggest need besides O-line, which is a true #1 reciever. Give him a 3 year 60 million dollar extension and everybody is happy. I don’t know what it would take to get him, maybe a 1st and a 4th or so.  

Then our 2019 Wr would look something like:

1.Julio Jones

2. Zay Jones

3. Reggie Mckenzie

4. Robert Foster

5. Fill in the blank

Get Allen a “waterbug” type running back, a # 1 tight end, 3 more offensive linemen and you have a division winner next year IMO. Oh yeh and a new special teams coach for good measure.  

It’s Unacceptable to have a roster with more Jones’ then Williams’.  Idea is rejected 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

The young and cheap groundwork has been established. Eventually you also have to become “buyers”

to compliment the young and cheap method.  Much like the Sabres have got the foundation now and will be “buyers” at this years trade deadline. Eventually when you get close you do what it takes to win now.  If you watch the games we are already competing at a high level. We are not years away, we are a year away. 

It’s a bold gamble to think we are that close, imo. We have holes all over the OL, we need a real TE, a 2nd CB, etc. The following year? I hope so. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I don't mean to be a wise guy, but who is Reggie McKenzie?  What's a waterbug type running back and why would we need that type?

*Fixed. And it is a Chan Gailey quote meaning fast/quick receiving RB.  And I think it is pretty obvious why Allen could use one not over the age of 30. 

20 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

My concern is Julio is used to playing more than half of his games in a domed stadium (home, New Orleans, etc.).  How is he gonna perform in Buffalo in December?

not arguing either way, but thought this was applicable: https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/how-julio-jones-approach-to-catching-passes-changes-in-rainy-weather

14 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

Julio is going to have to want to come here. And I assure you he does not want to go to a developing 4-8 team. Sorry.

But to correct a wide-spread assumption on this thread, Julio can be had for just a 2nd rounder. That's it. The rule is you never trade a 1st for a WR. Only for a QB. In 2003, Buffalo traded Peerless Price to Atlanta for a 1st (franchise, then sign and trade) so they would have a number one guy for Michael Vick, they became the laughing stock of the league for giving up that pick. That was the last time a team gave up a 1st for a WR.

We gave up two firsts and more for the pick to select Watkins. I certainly agree with you that it's a bad idea, but that doesn't mean there won't be teams that will do it.

But this is a conservative FO, thank goodness. I just can't see them doing this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

We gave up two firsts and more for the pick to select Watkins. I certainly agree with you that it's a bad idea, but that doesn't mean there won't be teams that will do it.

But this is a conservative FO, thank goodness. I just can't see them doing this.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I meant no team has traded a 1st for an exisitng NFL WR since Atlanta did in 2003.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I see. Fair enough. IMHO it will happen again sometime. I just hope it's not us who do it.

In all honesty, I agree with you. It will happen, but as you said, it will be a bad move most likely.

1 minute ago, Estelle Getty said:

Rymes w bowboys

LOL, you're right! Forgot about that. Duh!!

Ah, I was just coming back to say that, as it popped into my head.

The thing about that that makes it reasonable is that he's very young, much younger than Julio. That one might actually work out. I hope not, as I hate Jerry Jones and anything connected with him.