Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

18 hours ago, mjt328 said:

It usually doesn't take a full season for Defensive Coordinators to adjust.

Tyrod Taylor had plenty of bad games with us in that first year. 

He never really got better.  He never really got worse.  He was just up-and-down, depending on how effective defenses were at keeping him in the pocket.

One strategy I saw the Jets using yesterday (mostly in the second half) was using a spy, but then sending him on a delayed blitz.  It seemed that Allen was less willing to take off with defenders running at him, as opposed to standing flat-footed a few yards away.  It will be interesting to see if the Lions employ a similar tactic.

No doubt, Allen will eventually need to be able to beat teams with his arm. 

Agree to disagree as Josh had 101 rushing yards against the Jets and they were more effective against him in the 2nd half because he got dinged and was hobbled.

I do think that NFL defenses are going to have to dedicate safeties and bigger corners that can tackle to the spy role, but he has proven to be able to make the first guy miss - a lot so there is a bit more to stopping his running than just spying on him.

I do feel that he has to be a more effective pocket passer, but I do not think that the alleged pocket is the safest place for Josh behind this o-line as of now.

Folks need to chillax a bit.

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Hasn't changed since his 1st season starting at Wyoming.

Literally broke his collar bone because he ran instead of throwing.

This is the QB he is.  He is not changing.  I personally think it won't work, but I could be proven wrong.  I just don't like running QBs.

Allen got hurt not just because he was running, but by trying to take on  a linebacker straight on instead of sliding down.  

Here's something some of you probably don't know - Josh Allen did not have a lot of rushing yards last year in college.  He had 2 games of about 60 yards rushing and a few games of around 30-40 yards rushing.  But he also had 4 games where he had 0 to negative yards rushing the ball.   He's running way more these last 3 games than he has ever before. 

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How often do you see WRs from other NFL teams dropping passes like this?

and we see multiple routine passes like that dropped in every single game!!!

I thought a light went on for Zay, but that game and that drop in particular was just a big step back for him.  He'll probably be our slot WR next year behind Foster (?) and someone we draft or get in Free Agency.

6 drops on Sunday  plus all the penalties Team around him has to execute better He's a rookie and the team/play calling is making it as difficult as possible

• Like (+1) 2

Funny, remember all the commercials and the hype surrounding Vick?  Allen has rushed for more yards in a 3 game stretch than Vick did for any stretch of his career.  Allen is the best athlete on the field when he plays.  I dont know why he isnt getting more attention.  Remember last year with Deshaun Watson?  Allen is getting 0 love.  Allen doesnt have the weapons Watson has or had.  The Bill's have a guy to build around.  He cleans up some small things Buffalo will be a darkhorse next year. 

19 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Funny, remember all the commercials and the hype surrounding Vick?  Allen has rushed for more yards in a 3 game stretch than Vick did for any stretch of his career.  Allen is the best athlete on the field when he plays.  I dont know why he isnt getting more attention.  Remember last year with Deshaun Watson?  Allen is getting 0 love.  Allen doesnt have the weapons Watson has or had.  The Bill's have a guy to build around.  He cleans up some small things Buffalo will be a darkhorse next year. 

I'll lay it out:

The Bills aren't winning, his passing stats are the worst in the league among starting QBs, and he throws a TD once every 45.4 pass attempts. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'll lay it out:

The Bills aren't winning, his passing stats are the worst in the league among starting QBs, and he throws a TD once every 45.4 pass attempts. 

So after this year Gm Jrober is trading or cutting Allen and doing what?

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

So after this year Gm Jrober is trading or cutting Allen and doing what?

Keep him, sign two linemen, draft a blue chip WR, and see if he can get his QB Rating up at least 30 points. 

If he can't, I'm making alternate plans for 2020.

29 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Keep him, sign two linemen, draft a blue chip WR, and see if he can get his QB Rating up at least 30 points. 

If he can't, I'm making alternate plans for 2020.

I agree with that assessment.  I think his ability he showed gives me promise that he can do that.  Similar to Geoff and Trubisky.  Buffalo will need an improvement to the run game to match those other offenses.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You might be.....the bills will not be.

You dont take a QB 7th overall and move on from him that fast

I'm assuming a bad season results in a new HC and GM. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If this is true, it means all 15 drops by Bills receivers have been with Allen playing QB.

Is that possible? 

24 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm assuming a bad season results in a new HC and GM. 

If this is true, it means all 15 drops by Bills receivers have been with Allen playing QB.

Is that possible? 

It really doesn’t sound right, but in a way I can see how Allen’s velocity and ball placement could cause issues, resulting in more drops.  I’m not talking about uncatchable passes, but those ones that are slightly off but would still constitute as a drop, whereas a Brees type of qb may have put it in the perfect spot 

Edited by billsfan5121

23 hours ago, dakrider said:

Allen got hurt not just because he was running, but by trying to take on  a linebacker straight on instead of sliding down.  

Here's something some of you probably don't know - Josh Allen did not have a lot of rushing yards last year in college.  He had 2 games of about 60 yards rushing and a few games of around 30-40 yards rushing.  But he also had 4 games where he had 0 to negative yards rushing the ball.   He's running way more these last 3 games than he has ever before. 

The negative yardage from his last year in college is a reflection of how sacks are recorded as lost rushing yardage in college ball.

20 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

It really doesn’t sound right, but in a way I can see how Allen’s velocity and ball placement could cause issues, resulting in more drops.  I’m not talking about uncatchable passes, but those ones that are slightly off but would still constitute as a drop, whereas a Brees type of qb may have put it in the perfect spot 

Do the names Kelvin Benjamin or Charles Clay ring any bells when mentioned.

Factor those two pass-dropping machines and throw in an inconsistent Zay Jones (turning out to be pretty streaky - dropped passes all last year sans Allen throwing them, found his hands for a while, then took some steps backwards last game... jury is still out on Zay), and pretty hard to just pin it on Josh's strong arm.

I do think he will benefit from having receivers that can catch balls with some zip - just means that down the road he potentially could fit the ball into tighter windows.

Edited by WideNine

From Andy Benoit:

JOSH ALLEN’S LEGS
They need to be a featured part of Buffalo’s offense. Allen has done a great job using his legs on scrambles against man coverage, where Buffalo’s increasingly vertical passing attack is lifting defenders and creating voids in the middle of the field. These last three weeks of 2018 must be spent incorporating Allen more into the foundational run game designs, like what the Panthers do with Cam Newton. The next question will be whether Allen can develop into a quality on-the-move thrower. If he can, Buffalo’s run-pass integration designs will be hard to handle in 2019 and beyond.