Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - Umpire Roy Ellison Reinstated After Being Fined $9300

Why is it that none of these officials ever get fired?  I think I have heard of one guy in all my years of watching football that was actually fired.  There must be thousands of people that would kill for the job and I would imagine would do a much better job than many of the current geriatric zebras.  This season has seemed especially bad when it comes to penalties and missed calls.  Time for some new blood and an actual competency review every season.  Maybe I just don't realize how hard the job is and these guys are doing a good job?

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I had no idea they earned that much per game... wonder if they get reimbursed for expenses (travel, hotel, meals) - not a bad gig as they probably make 30-40K or more for post-season games.

Money well-spent.

8 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Why is it that none of these officials ever get fired?  I think I have heard of one guy in all my years of watching football that was actually fired.  There must be thousands of people that would kill for the job and I would imagine would do a much better job than many of the current geriatric zebras.  This season has seemed especially bad when it comes to penalties and missed calls.  Time for some new blood and an actual competency review every season.  Maybe I just don't realize how hard the job is and these guys are doing a good job?

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Hughes = winner

That game check (and partial suspension) for the ref hurt him far more than Hughes' fine.

Not to mention this is his 3rd? Time that he has been accused by players.  Something to remember if we hear his name again in the future. 

4 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

As I stated in my post, " I think I have heard of one guy in all my years of watching football that was actually fired."  This is the one I was thinking of. 

I think they have forced some officials into "retirement" in the last few seasons. 

LorAx is on OBL talking about the incident between Hughes and Ellison. He said Hughes was running off the field when Ellison created the issue by calling him the derogatory name. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I had no idea they earned that much per game... wonder if they get reimbursed for expenses (travel, hotel, meals) - not a bad gig as they probably make 30-40K or more for post-season games.

Money well-spent.

Almost certainly.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, Doc said:

That penalty told me everything I needed to know about the hard=on the zebras have for Jerry and the degree to which they are willing to go to give the Cheaters any call they can.

Honestly, I won't be shocked if an official gets seriously injured by a player sometime soon. The officials need to be INVISIBLE in games unless the penalty is blatantly obvious. They ruin the flow of the game, now they insult players, what's next?

Only a matter of time before a player takes their helmet off and swings it over an officials head when he's making a bogus call.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Can we get an agreement from the league to not allow Ellison to officiate Bills games, or at least games Hughes is playing in? :D

If this doesn’t count as an inherent conflict of interest down the road for any future Bills games he works, IDK what is. The fact he’s still allowed to carry on after such a shameful incident at all, will simply cement in a lot of fans’ minds the reality that the officiating is inherently suspect/open for bias taint, and that’s the real shame going forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

NFL officiating accountability is an absolute joke.  This is a multi-billion dollar industry.  There is no need for these refs to be entitled to their position.  There's rampant nepotism, and the same handful of men hold the "esteemed" title of head referee.  Makes you wonder why the NFL is so quick to keep their boys.

A fine and one-game suspension is not an accurate punishment for delegitimizing the impartiality of their sport.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

LorAx is on OBL talking about the incident between Hughes and Ellison. He said Hughes was running off the field when Ellison created the issue by calling him the derogatory name. 

Then it seems about right for Hughes to get 6 times the penalty ...

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Ed Hoculi retired and nobody dares to say that a majority belong in offices; instead of making field calls.  I still remember when Bryan Cox jumped offside during a game and an official who had actually played ball; drove him back while throwing a flag on the center who had moved his hand just the slightest inch.  Cox was still trying to move, and said if he had not of stopped the old boy would have kicked his arse.  

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The NFLRA is a joke and makes itself just look silly by trying to argue this slap on the wrist was excessive somehow ??‍♂️

They are advocates for their membership no matter what.  They also defended the official who was fired earlier this season. 

• Like (+1) 1