Charles Clay- the most useless player ever

NewEra

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Clay himself admitted he should have caught the ball. Keep fighting the good fight though.

And let me know what the channel was of the game you watched.

It clearly wasn't what everyone else, including the players, were watching.

What is he supposed to say? Sheesh. Do you really expect him to throw the qb under the bus? Can you at least admit that it was a highly inaccurate pass and that the qb didn't deliver in a signature moment (despite a great scramble and good decision)?

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ah, my favorite blame-the-receiver line: “it hit him in the hands.” It was a bad throw (after a great scramble and great decision) that would have been a bona fide circus catch if caught. And are fans here completely blind to the fact that players on both sides were slipping and sliding all day on that surface??

Disagree.  It wasn’t a “gimme” catch, but it was a degree of difficulty big-boy NFL WR and TE routinely lock down, not a circus OMG how did he catch that? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See previois comments by me about the field surface today — players were falling down all game. Regardless. It was short by 6-7 yards and required a circus catch because it demanded a reverse in direction.

I remember you blaming watkins for taylor’s int v NE despite that he leaped as high as he could and his fingertips grazed the ball.

How did it require a change in direction when he was stopped and waiting in the end zone?

As for blaming the INTs, you're confusing that play with my MISTAKEN defense of the INT off Clay's hands in the first Jets game last year.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

What is he supposed to say? Sheesh. Do you really expect him to throw the qb under the bus? Can you at least admit that it was a highly inaccurate pass and that the qb didn't deliver in a signature moment (despite a great scramble and good decision)?

You know, I think if you watch some of the great QB in the league - Brees, Rodgers, Goff looking pretty good right now, Mahomes, maybe - you will see that they have WR who routinely make plays on “highly inaccurate” throws like that.  It wasn’t a pinpoint laser throw, no, maybe even not a good throw, but it was a catchable ball.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Disagree.  It wasn’t a “gimme” catch, but it was a degree of difficulty big-boy NFL WR and TE routinely lock down, not a circus OMG how did he catch that? 

I just watched three good players in high pressure situations fail to make catches that were less “circus” than clay’s not catch the ball. Sometimes, it’s the qb’s fault.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He just avoided the rush three separate times and threw it across his body rolling left 55 yards! Jesus.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See previois comments by me about the field surface today — players were falling down all game. Regardless. It was short by 6-7 yards and required a circus catch because it demanded a reverse in direction.

I remember you blaming watkins for taylor’s int v NE despite that he leaped as high as he could and his fingertips grazed the ball.

Dave are you really going to die on this hill.  Please watch the play 4 or 5 times.

JA was scrambling all the way back to mid field.  Clay is in the corner of the end zone.

A JV football player whose mind is in the game knowing that they only need a 1st down would of moved "toward" his QB.

Yes, JAs pass fluttered some.  Clay had to perform a "circus" catch because he did not do what he should of done.

There really is no other way to say this.  If it was Brett Farve throwing the ball I'm sure every commentator would be blaming Clay

for not coming back to him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

How did it require a change in direction when he was stopped and waiting in the end zone?

As for blaming the INTs, you're confusing that play with my MISTAKEN defense of the INT off Clay's hands in the first Jets game last year.

Whoops - in my frenzy i thought i was responding to dog re the NE game. My bad. I agree about that jets game. 

Regardless, coming back for the ball on a crap throw isn’t as easy as you seem to think it is.

Whoops - in my frenzy i thought i was responding to dog re the NE game. My bad. I agree about that jets game. 

Regardless, coming back for the ball on a crap throw isn’t as easy as you seem to think it is.

How about:  great play by Allen, hard throw to make, wasn’t perfect, could’ve been better, hard catch for Clay to make, Clay needs to make a play for once and knows he should’ve caught it.  It’s on both of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He just avoided the rush three separate times and threw it across his body rolling left 55 yards! Jesus.

Huh? Twist my words! I loved his game for the most part today except for a few plays and have complimented multiple times on the play up to the wounded-duck, helicopter-rotation throw. But yeah, blame the receiver. 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

How about:  great play by Allen, hard throw to make, wasn’t perfect, could’ve been better, hard catch for Clay to make, Clay needs to make a play for once and knows he should’ve caught it.  It’s on both of them.

It was a circus catch situation. I am standing by that.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's not easy, and it's much harder when you trip over your feet

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

What competency levels are you asking out of a top paid skill player in the NFL?

Huh? Twist my words! I loved his game for the most part today except for a few plays and have complimented multiple times on the play up to the wounded-duck throw. But yeah, blame the receiver.

It was a circus catch situation. I am standing by that.

Would’ve been a great catch no doubt.  Not routine.  Other teams do it though.

18 minutes ago, vincec said:

Clay could have made a great catch there but Allen could also have set his feet and thrown it to him instead of under throwing it by 10 yards. He has plenty of arm to make a good throw there. And the OTs could have blocked somebody too so that Allen wasn't scrambling for his life. It's never just one player.

You’re right it’s never one player.  It’s also NEVER been one player (named Charles clay) that we all said, “wooooooooo Charles clay is the man.  He’s the man”.  He’s never been the man while getting paid like he’s the man.  He’s useless.  

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, I think if you watch some of the great QB in the league - Brees, Rodgers, Goff looking pretty good right now, Mahomes, maybe - you will see that they have WR who routinely make plays on “highly inaccurate” throws like that.  It wasn’t a pinpoint laser throw, no, maybe even not a good throw, but it was a catchable ball.

And he had to perform some crazy circus act stuff just to be able to get the pass off. Allen overachieved on the play, Clay underachieved. While that ball was in the air, he couldn’t move forward more than about 6 yards to catch it?  Inexcusable. 

• Like (+1) 1