Need some help with a "casting" question

theesir

I'm not a tech noob or anything, but this is an area that I just don't have a good handle on.

I have an iPhone and an iPad. There are time I would like to be able to "cast" (see, I know the lingo) from my phone or tablet to my TV. Not Netflix or Prime Video, I have apps for those in the TV and Blu-ray player, I mean a Pay per view concert I may buy or even watching an episode of Nova on the PBS Video app, maybe even a YouTube video.

I know I can use Apple TV, but is that really my most cost effective option?

Do devices like a Chromecast or Fire Stick allow me to just cast what's on my device to my TV?

In advance, I thank you all for your thoughtful responses. :-)

disappointed, i was going to tell you that you should not do anything that offends your conscience on a "casting" decision

especially these days...

be dubious if Harvey invites you up to his hotel suite to talk about your future

Your answer, young Padawan, is contained within your question

41 minutes ago, theesir said:

I'm not a tech noob or anything, but this is an area that I just don't have a good handle on.

I have an iPhone and an iPad. There are time I would like to be able to "cast" (see, I know the lingo) from my phone or tablet to my TV. Not Netflix or Prime Video, I have apps for those in the TV and Blu-ray player, I mean a Pay per view concert I may buy or even watching an episode of Nova on the PBS Video app, maybe even a YouTube video.

Do devices like a Chromecast or Fire Stick allow me to just cast what's on my device to my TV?

51 minutes ago, theesir said:

Did you write this post from a casting couch?

1 hour ago, theesir said:

Thanks for the feedback. I did a bit of searching and see folks complaining about really poor video quality with Chromecast. 

Are any of you using it finding that?

I have one and it works pretty well. Only issues is sometimes when it forgets my phone or Ipad (but I think thats more my antiquated phone and ipad than the chromecast)

Works with most apps and to me the quality is great

I have chromecast and use it all the time, but with android based products. We have iPads too for the kids and i think it works from them too cause they will put things on TV sometimes from them. No problems with video issues from any

Only issue is that you cant cast just anything, somethings wont allow it to be cast. I have the OHL hockey pass for some games and can only view the videos online, it wont let me cast the video to my TV.