GM Cutting Over Fourteen Thousand Jobs

how is this surprising?

back in April, Ford announced that they would cease all car production, save for the Mustang and Focus. the car segment of the American society has been waning for quite sometime with the Minivan and the SUV eating more market share yearly. if peoples tastes have moved away from cars, you would have to be pretty stupid to continue to keep trying to sell them to those who would rather have a truck, SUV or a crossover.

April '18 article: 

Ford is basically giving up on US car business, and GM is not far behind

... Ford said Wednesday it will only offer two new cars in North America over the coming years — its iconic Mustang and the Focus Active, a rugged-looking hatchback that has already debuted in Europe, and somewhat resembles the Subaru Crosstrek or the Buick Regal TourX.

GM is moving along the same lines.

“I think we have been on this path for a number of years,” GM CFO Chuck Stevens said  ...

Edited by Foxx

38 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Murder journalists?  Until now I thought that was a low blow for even you but now I know better.  Anyways, I am too much a lover of this country and like seeing a thriving middle class among other things.  Russia although it currently does not openly state it still considers the US an adversary and really thinks that economic gain should be pretty well be limited to a ruling class.  Sounds like you to a tee.

Trump seems cool with only helping the swamp. He tried taking health care away from 30 million people. And Putin and Trump sound pretty similiar about the media, it's just we protect the media from the media haters in this country. If you support Trump you don't support American values. 

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

how is this surprising?

back in April, Ford announced that they would cease all car production, save for the Mustang and Focus. the car segment of the American society has been waning for quite sometime with the Minivan and the SUV eating more market share yearly. if peoples tastes have moved away from cars, you would have to be pretty stupid to continue to keep trying to sell them to those who would rather have a truck, SUV or a crossover.

April '18 article: 

Ford is basically giving up on US car business, and GM is not far behind

Yup and some of this is semantics.  An SUV as we call them is basically a car in a slightly different configuration and those come is all sizes from very small to barge-like.  It's really a stretch when it's reported that they are ceasing "car" production.  It's more a case of discontinuing some of the traditional coupes and sedans in favor of cars of a different shape and category.  That and companies like Ford will still sell the Fiesta and Focus (and refresh those models) in non-US markets so if they want to sell them or similar "cars" here again it won't take much to turn on the tap.  For now it's about increasing margin per vehicle.  SUV's and trucks are simply more profitable than cheaper cars. 

My guess is that GM/Ford/FCA will all re-introduce some "cars" to the US market in the not too distant future and most likely they will be electric or hybrids. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

GM is building some very good cars and trucks.  On what basis do you say their products don't measure up?  Different strokes for different folks but GM still has the highest market share of any car maker in the U.S. market. 

Based on the reviews and research that I did looking at longevity and reliability. Their trucks do well, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for GM in the car world. 

Market share is really a false positive for such a thing as quality and dependability. GM is a mainstay that has years of seniority in the market which counts for a lot. 

In regard to my initial post, I will definitely say that it is possible they are improving and doing things well now- but the reputation is still very tarnished. 

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Based on the reviews and research that I did looking at longevity and reliability. Their trucks do well, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for GM in the car world. 

Market share is really a false positive for such a thing as quality and dependability. GM is a mainstay that has years of seniority in the market which counts for a lot. 

In regard to my initial post, I will definitely say that it is possible they are improving and doing things well now- but the reputation is still very tarnished. 

So you didn't want a Corvette?  ?

Just now, keepthefaith said:

So you didn't want a Corvette?  ?

I mean, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage. lol

I looked briefly into full size sedans in which Toyota and Nissan seemed to do very well, but then I settled on a 4Runner. 

I must admit my bias, as I am definitely a Toyota guy- Just can't argue with the longevity. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage. lol

I looked briefly into full size sedans in which Toyota and Nissan seemed to do very well, but then I settled on a 4Runner. 

I must admit my bias, as I am definitely a Toyota guy- Just can't argue with the longevity. 

Can't go wrong with a Toyota. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump seems cool with only helping the swamp. He tried taking health care away from 30 million people. And Putin and Trump sound pretty similiar about the media, it's just we protect the media from the media haters in this country. If you support Trump you don't support American values. 

Your communist masters pretty much adored the media when they had complete control over it.  I don't think that they or you would talk so loving if the media was adversarial to them.  By the way American values are far more complex than one politician or one political party and for that I am thankful.  

I would think that it would have to be killing you to withhold telling everybody here your idea of an ideal state.  Why don't you just open up and be done with it.  You know that you want to.  Hopefully, the lights have not gone out for the evening on the Soros cubicle farm so you post back soon.  

Edited by RochesterRob

51 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Your communist masters pretty much adored the media when they had complete control over it.  I don't think that they or you would talk so loving if the media was adversarial to them.  By the way American values are far more complex than one politician or one political party and for that I am thankful.  

I would think that it would have to be killing you to withhold telling everybody here your idea of an ideal state.  Why don't you just open up and be done with it.  You know that you want to.  Hopefully, the lights have not gone out for the evening on the Soros cubicle farm so you post back soon.  

Something that has never been written here or even contemplated. Have you lost your ***** marbles?

• Haha (+1) 1

GM will no longer make these 6 cars

Buick LaCrosse , Cadillac CT6 , Cadillac XTS , Chevrolet Cruze , Chevrolet Impala , Chevrolet Volt

January - September sales: 109,662, down 26.5%   Chevy Cruze

The bestselling Chevy sedan, the Cruze is highly regarded among auto reviewers and enthusiasts. The Cruze was the "Consumer Reports" top pick for compact cars last year. It was beat out by the Toyota Corolla and a handful of other small cars this year, and sales have disappointed.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/gm-cars-dropping-production/index.html

It's hard for the Cruze to compete with cheaper imports. The profit margin was just too small. 

GM should have been done long ago. Should have been allowed to go bankrupt and reorganize. Of course, big government to the rescue always doing what they shouldn't. Giving taxpayer funds to bail out private operations. 

Let nature take its course and let these companies either go extinct or evolve. 

Regardless. Car's will have to be made and I'm sure workers laid off will eventually get employed somewhere. Maybe Toyota or Ford

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Sign of the times, as all of the affected locations produce small-to-medium size passenger cars (which nobody is buying anymore).

Contrast that to GM's Arlington (TX) plant which produces pickups and SUVs and is running three shifts right now to keep up with the demand.

Wait until gas prices go back up.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Buick LaCrosse , Cadillac CT6 , Cadillac XTS , Chevrolet Cruze , Chevrolet Impala , Chevrolet Volt

The bestselling Chevy sedan, the Cruze is highly regarded among auto reviewers and enthusiasts. The Cruze was the "Consumer Reports" top pick for compact cars last year. It was beat out by the Toyota Corolla and a handful of other small cars this year, and sales have disappointed.

It's hard for the Cruze to compete with cheaper imports. The profit margin was just too small. 

Chevy Volt.

I remember when that car was going to save the Auto industry.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Dammit, the Volt was going to be my next car.

Imagine the state of the US auto industry if the US government did not have that high tariff on pickup trucks.  

I agree with many here that General Motors should have been allowed to collapse in 2008.  

I'm still surprised Chevy and Ford could never make a vehicle that'd compete with a Subaru with better performance.      

10 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Chevy Volt.

I remember when that car was going to save the Auto industry.

Now if Obama had his third term i.e. Hillary.......................

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Imagine the state of the US auto industry if the US government did not have that high tariff on pickup trucks.  

I agree with many here that General Motors should have been allowed to collapse in 2008.  

I'm still surprised Chevy and Ford could never make a vehicle that'd compete with a Subaru with better performance.      

A lot of the Subaru all wheel drive vehicles have a heritage that goes back to the AMC Eagle from the late 1970's/early 1980's.