Do Bloodlines Matter?

DefenseWins

8 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/another-great-wide-receiver-from-antonio-browns-family/

Yet another example of a player coming from a family of former and current players... Several others come to mind both current and in the past. The Bills currently have one half of the Edmunds Brothers. Chad Beebe (Don Beebe's son) is a current player with the Vikings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

The list above is huge...

The AFL league in Oz has a ‘Father Son’ draft. If a player makes 100 club games his child may be drafted by that club when elligible. Began in the 1940’s when a club wanted to draft a son of a player killed in WW2 as an honour for the family.

• Each draft pick is assigned a value (with No. 1 starting at 3000 points, declining exponentially until No. 74 which has no value), which is regressed from historical player salary data.
  • During the draft, any club may bid for a father–son eligible player with any draft pick.
  • The father's club, if it wishes to select the son, must then use its next one or more draft picks until the total points value of the surrendered picks adds up to the value of the draft pick used by the bidding, less a discount – which is either 20% of the bid value or 197 points (equivalent to pick No. 56), whichever is greater. Any points left over after reaching the bid value result in the draft pick being shuffled down the order.
  • The club which originally made the bid then has the next selection in the draft.

I’m now at an age where I’m watching the kids of the stars of my childhood. There’s definitely a ‘legacy’ connection that’s strong with the fan bases that’s great.

Collingwood for example has about 5 players with dad’s being club legends. List of 40.

Edited by Shamrock

8 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/another-great-wide-receiver-from-antonio-browns-family/

Yet another example of a player coming from a family of former and current players... Several others come to mind both current and in the past. The Bills currently have one half of the Edmunds Brothers. Chad Beebe (Don Beebe's son) is a current player with the Vikings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

The list above is huge...

it helps , it's like breeding horses. If Hitler wasn't foiled we could have super players :devil:

What about the kids whose parents weren't very good athletes but loved a particular sport or recognized that their children had exceptional talent, and made every effort, sometimes at considerable sacrifice, to see their children succeed in that sport?   I think two very notable cases of this were Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus.  I think that this is a much more common phenomenon than top athletes producing children who are also top athletes in the same sport.

I think the relative rarity of the sons of ex-NFL players becoming NFL players themselves is the reason that we comment on this apparent "genetic" advantage.  The reality is that the overwhelming majority of NFL players aren't the sons ex-NFL players.  Moreover, the phenomenon of brothers becoming NFL players may very well also be a product of nurture moreso than nature as most were raised in the same environment. 

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Your parents are idiots.

I get it, some typos in my original response. Fat fingers. 

But what am I wrong about? 

It’s true. There’s are more guys out there with the drive to be elite, than there are guys with elite physiology. Physiology wins 99/100 compared to the rest of the population. And it wins 85/100 at the Olympic/professional level. 

Or is it that everybody on this message board could have been elite at a sport if only they “wanted to” 

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Genes.... they do stuff

I’m not so sure it’s a simple as that. When we mate, we produce offspring that has roughly 50% of the genetic make-up of the parents. Any desirable traits (football IQ gene??) one parent holds has a 50% chance of being inherited. That’s basically a coin flip. What is much, much more likely to influence an offsprings future achievements is being raised in a household that will bestow the values of the parents. This could include having you kid hang out at the stadium all the time, parental insight, positive experiences, with a healthy serving of connections and favors. 

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

That Olympic success is inheritable.  :lol:

It is to a certain extent. If your parents are olympians, then you’re much more likely to be an Olympian than a child from two parents who are accountants and English teachers. 

Does it make anything gauranteed, no, but it does mean you have a significant genetic advanatage over the rest of the population. 

Nobody wins the Olympics with just hard work. Can’t be done without inheriting elite physiology. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, Thurman#1 said:

This. Kids from that background have a huge advantage in reaching the 10,000 hours to achieve mastery.

There's also plenty of athletes coached by their Dad Joe Schmo at varsity HS level and grow up to idolize and live and breath the sport. Possible get even more exposure when their.. "bloodline" isn't working in the NFL. I think a lot of players come through that way.

Now genetically? sure.. but Mommy better be a D1 college basketball or volleyball player and daddy a football player / coach. Tom Brady and Giselle and any of these athletes and models are just passing down good lookin genes.