Hakeem Butler 6’6” 225 lbs WR ISU

CEN-CAL17

When it comes down to it, this kid is a match up nightmare. Runs smooth routes, tough after the catch, hard to bring down. A hands catcher. Obviously great size and speed. You watch a lot of his highlights he’s getting on top of the defense. Long strides and can separate.

I got N’Keal Harry #1 WR in this draft but this kid is a close 2nd. A lot of defense in the top 10 in this years draft. But after the season, combine and pro days, look for this kid to get a lot of air time. 6’6” 225 don’t come around often.

Also if Corey Davis can go 5 overall. This kid and N’Keal could be top 10 picks.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

When it comes down to it, this kid is a match up nightmare. Runs smooth routes, tough after the catch, hard to bring down. A hands catcher. Obviously great size and speed. You watch a lot of his highlights he’s getting on top of the defense. Long strides and can separate.

I got N’Keal Harry #1 WR in this draft but this kid is a close 2nd. A lot of defense in the top 10 in this years draft. But after the season, combine and pro days, look for this kid to get a lot of air time. 6’6” 225 don’t come around often.

Also if Corey Davis can go 5 overall. This kid and N’Keal could be top 10 picks.

Corey Davis has more TDs and almost as many yards in 1 year as Butler in his career...

thats why he went top 10... Butler is good but 0 chance he goes top 10

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Corey Davis has more TDs and almost as many yards in 1 year as Butler in his career...

thats why he went top 10... Butler is good but 0 chance he goes top 10

Butler has nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDs thus far. Played tougher competition than Davis did in college too.  

I have no no clue what you’re talking about.

4 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Butler has nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDs thus far. Played tougher competition than Davis did in college too.  

I have no no clue what you’re talking about.

Butler has like 1800 yards in his career.

Corey Davis had 1500 in 1 with 19 TDs... they aren’t on the same level, regardless of competition 

he isnt going top 10

The WRs in the 19 Draft I like are (5)

Harry

Butler

A Johnson 

P Williams 

K Harmon

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Corey Davis had 1500 in 1 with 19 TDs... they aren’t on the same level, regardless of competition 

he isnt going top 10

Look at the teams Butler has played this year compared to Western Michigan. Competition has a lot to do with grading a player.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

he isnt going top 10

We will see... he’s already being talked about in round 1. He’s gonna move up the boards. 

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

23 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Who? And don’t say AJ Brown or Marquise Brown 

Butler reminds me of a taller Michael Thomas.

Why not? Marquise Brown is special, he would be a perfect fit for our offence and the new age NFL. He has some first round traits. We can add a size WR in free agency. 

9 minutes ago, billspro said:

Why not? Marquise Brown is special, he would be a perfect fit for our offence and the new age NFL. He has some first round traits. We can add a size WR in free agency. 

5’10 170lbs is not getting drafted in round 1. Yes he’s great against college kids. But I just see nfl “go to” guy in this kid. There’s times this kid disappears. Nothing against him, some just think he’s a top NFL WR prospect. I disagree 

Here’s what’s gonna happen. Butler will finish the season with 1200 yds, 55 receptions, 10-12 TDs.

He will run a high 4.4 or low 4.5 40 at the combine.  Pro day he will run in the 4.4s. Then fans will start talking about him. Watch.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

5’10 170lbs is not getting drafted in round 1. Yes he’s great against college kids. But I just see nfl “go to” guy in this kid. There’s times this kid disappears. Nothing against him, some just think he’s a top NFL WR prospect. I disagree 

Here’s what’s gonna happen. Butler will finish the season with 1200 yds, 55 receptions, 10-12 TDs.

He will run a high 4.4 or low 4.5 40. Pro day he will run in the 4.4s. Then fans will start talking about him. Watch.

He could be a Tyreek Hill or Brandin Cooks type of player. That’s what I see watching him.

I think he will be a 4.6 guy but if he runs a 4.4 his stock will increase dramatically.

Edited by billspro

This guy is Ramses Barden. 6-6, 225 and jump balls all day. Go back and watch some Barden highlights from Clay Poly and they are the same player. Film is a bit grainy though. It didn't quite translate to the NFL. Butler is facing better competition, but the bottom line, everything will depend on his 40 time. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This guy is Ramses Barden. 6-6, 225 and jump balls all day. Go back and watch some Barden highlights from Clay Poly and they are the same player. Film is a bit grainy though. It didn't quite translate to the NFL. Butler is facing better competition, but the bottom line, everything will depend on his 40 time. 

6-6 WRs tend to have trouble separating at the NFL level. There are very few that have the athletic ability to do it and when they do they usually go top 5.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’ve read articles stating sub 4.5. 

He even says himself hes faster faster than most think. I see him pulling off a 4.49 lol.

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

6-6 WRs tend to have trouble separating at the NFL level. There are very few that have the athletic ability to do it and when they do they usually go top 5.

I agree with you. And hearing to Ramses Braden name made me laugh. Just hadn’t heard it in awhile.

I just see Butler making plays, running smooth routes and looking effortlessly against high level FBS teams.

Not that it makes a difference I bet he comes in at 6’5” 1/2, 218 (down weight for the combine. He get his sub 4.5.

His ability to get deep reminds me of Martavis Bryant.

4 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

He even says himself hes faster faster than most think. I see him pulling off a 4.49 lol.

Guys usually run 0.15 slower than they think at the combine. 

7 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I agree with you. And hearing to Ramses Braden name made me laugh. Just hadn’t heard it in awhile.

I just see Butler making plays, running smooth routes and looking effortlessly against high level FBS teams.

Not that it makes a difference I bet he comes in at 6’5” 1/2, 218 (down weight for the combine. He get his sub 4.5.

His ability to get deep reminds me of Martavis Bryant.

Any chance he will be at the senior bowl? His route running is all I really care about. He is wide open in most of those highlights.

Since we're talking about lower tier receivers, there's a dude named Covey from Utah that is straight electric. He's not listed on most draft boards, but if you get a chance, check him out. He'll probably end up on New England. Went on his mission so he's probably 24 years old.

As for the top guy, I believe it's Hollywood Brown. The name itself is gold. You've also got to consider LiL Jordan. We need some swag!

Nothing about those highlights suggests he's a top pick. He's a big, tall WR who isn't fast, and can't sink his hips and make quick cuts.

Good luck separating from NFL calibre DBs. 

6'6, 225 doesn't come around very often. Those guys also don't work out very often either because they can't get low and create separation. 

This time of year it's hard to find a 40 time estimate for some players, Butler included.  The subjective assessment of some observers is that he's fast for his size.  He is, I believe, a red shirt sophomore, so I think he can declare for the draft if he wants to.  I suspect it might be to his benefit to stay in for one more year.  Iowa State had a freshman QB this season.  He is a promising propect in his own right.  Butler had a good year this year, but with a good QB playing his second year, Butler has a chance to put up even bigger numbers and raise his draft status.  If he does come out, one pundit (might have been Kirk Herbstreit) thought he might go in the 2nd or 3rd round in 2019 if he enters the draft.  That's where I would look at him.

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

This time of year it's hard to find a 40 time estimate for some players, Butler included.  The subjective assessment of some observers is that he's fast for his size.  He is, I believe, a red shirt sophomore, so I think he can declare for the draft if he wants to.  I suspect it might be to his benefit to stay in for one more year.  Iowa State had a freshman QB this season.  He is a promising propect in his own right.  Butler had a good year this year, but with a good QB playing his second year, Butler has a chance to put up even bigger numbers and raise his draft status.  If he does come out, one pundit (might have been Kirk Herbstreit) thought he might go in the 2nd or 3rd round in 2019 if he enters the draft.  That's where I would look at him.

He is a RS JR

9 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Brown is going to measure probably under 5’10 and 170 lbs at the combine..... please name me any legit #1 WR in league that is 5’9” 170 lbs?

I saw on a prospects website that he runs a 4.35. Not how accurate that is, but if he does, it might be a good idea to draft him as we need more speed. Not saying he will be a Tyreek Hill, but its nice to dream.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is a RS JR

Yes RS JR... I’m almost certain he comes out this year. He’s already being talked about in round 1. His potential is there and he’s got enough tape to back it up. I wouldn’t stay.

Could you imagine if Drew Lock was this kids QB? He’d have probably double the receptions and nearly 1300 yards at this point.

I think Butler is exactly what Josh Allen needs. Foster on the other side, Zay Jones and Justin Hardy (FA) in the slot. Croom, Clay and Maxx Williams (FA) at TE.  Could be much improved.

Id even keep Donte Thompson who can play outside or slot. McKenzie STs.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

15 minutes ago, APoxOnYou said:

I saw on a prospects website that he runs a 4.35. Not how accurate that is, but if he does, it might be a good idea to draft him as we need more speed. Not saying he will be a Tyreek Hill, but its nice to dream.

Hill is 185-190 lbs. he’s a very solid 5’10. Just his picture alone he looks like a brick house. Brown is your typical skinny 5’10” guy. Hence the 15 lb difference.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Nothing about those highlights suggests he's a top pick. He's a big, tall WR who isn't fast, and can't sink his hips and make quick cuts.

Good luck separating from NFL calibre DBs. 

6'6, 225 doesn't come around very often. Those guys also don't work out very often either because they can't get low and create separation. 

We will see where he gets drafted and what he does at the next level. This kid is marked week in and week out against solid college teams, solid CBs. Not to mention a True Freshman QB. We need a guy who can get deep and make a play on the ball when needed. I see plenty of intermediate routes on there with him gaining separation. We can agree to disagree. But if this kid runs under 4.5 he’s a top 15 guaranteed.

5 hours ago, billspro said:

I think size at the position is a bit overrated. The Rams seem to be doing just fine offensively without a 6'5 receiver.

It's one of those things that's nice in theory, but doesn't really matter. Quality over "quantity."

Edited by LSHMEAB

19 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

We will see where he gets drafted and what he does at the next level. This kid is marked week in and week out against solid college teams, solid CBs. Not to mention a True Freshman QB. We need a guy who can get deep and make a play on the ball when needed. I see plenty of intermediate routes on there with him gaining separation. We can agree to disagree. But if this kid runs under 4.5 he’s a top 15 guaranteed.

He's wide open on the majority of the plays against busted zone coverages. 

Looks like a nice college player, but there's a reason NFL wide receivers aren't 6'6. 

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think size at the position is a bit overrated. The Rams seem to be doing just fine offensively without a 6'5 receiver.

It's one of those things that's nice in theory, but doesn't really matter. Quality over "quantity."

Size mattered 5+ years ago when DBs could get their hands on receivers.

Now they can't touch them at all, and the league has figured out how to scheme guys open with pick plays. The result is that "small" guys are putting up huge numbers all around the league because they're so explosive after the catch with the ball in their hands. 

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's wide open on the majority of the plays against busted zone coverages. 

Looks like a nice college player, but there's a reason NFL wide receivers aren't 6'6. 

Size mattered 5+ years ago when DBs could get their hands on receivers.

Now they can't touch them at all, and the league has figured out how to scheme guys open with pick plays. The result is that "small" guys are putting up huge numbers all around the league because they're so explosive after the catch with the ball in their hands. 

That sounds right. Size was a big deal when guys struggled getting past the bump and run. With the new rules, that's no longer an issue. You pretty much never hear about a guy struggling with press coverage anymore.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

I still appreciate a WR who can go up a snag a 50/50 ball. I still appreciate a bigger WR who is hard to bring down (the Oklahoma clip I posted). And to say all his highlights are busted zone coverages is crazy. A few of them are actually double coverage and under thrown, and still breaking tackles. Say what you will, if this kid played for Clemson, Ohio St, Alabama etc with the same numbers and the same highlights folks here would be way more impressed. Especially having the nations best QB throwing him the ball.

You gotta admit him in the Iowa State uniform isn’t that impressive either. 

I can appreciate this! He’s got multiple plays like this. Granted it should have been a walk in TD... was it a blown coverage? Or maybe the FS bit on a head fake? Or the FS underestimated his speed? Or it was a great route? Shoot maybe the FS tripped up. Doesn’t matter, it was a terrible throw, Butler came back out leaped the kid, caught it over him, threw him off and scored 6.

Read up on the kid, he’s got a “that’s my ball mentality”.... again if this kid was at USC there’d be more fans of him.

I like the kid and see a ton of potential. I’ve seen enough film, read enough on him, listened to him speak and others speak on him to feel comfortable he’s gonna be a mid first round pick.

56 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Brown 150 yards at the half, I would take that guy on my team any day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Brown 150 yards at the half, I would take that guy on my team any day.

Beast. Would instantly transform the offense. Defenses have to account for a guy like that every freaking play.

Bring Hollywood to Buffalo.