John Wawrow: Struggles Aside, Bills GM Not Veering from Rebuilding Plan

26CornerBlitz

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I agree with that and in many instances he'll have to do just that as is often the case in UFA. 

I'd be surprised if we see the "overpay" route from this guy...probably has a number in mind regarding FA bucks to carry over into 2020 (pretty sure he can??)  as well as a 2020 list of UFA's.....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I'd be surprised if we see the "overpay" route from this guy...probably has a number in mind regarding FA bucks to carry over into 2020 (pretty sure he can??)  as well as a 2020 list of UFA's.....

2019 is year three and it will be time for better results.  Pay up!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well it is a new and direct story from Beane.  So I dont see an issue with this thread to discuss Beanes comments.  Its not even remotely as bad as the threads plaguing this site right now.  I mean one dude in a thread today said NP was not good, too weak of an arm, and barely a backup...then also starts a thread saying racism is why he is getting back lash and says he can be good and used Alex Smith as an example of how he should become a good player somewhere else like other Bills castoffs.  Its just nonsense over and over on this board, at least this thread is a real story and deals with real comments.

Agree. Glad 26 started this thread. 

I would have never even clicked on one of those other threads, so I probably wouldn’t have seen this story otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

That's cool.  But if you're a free agent WR and you have the chance to go to Atlanta or Seattle or New Orleans or San Diego and the money's + or - 10% are you gonna go to one of those teams or to the team that has a project that is "showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch."?

that was my point.

Beane is likely gonna have to do a great sales job, and overpay.

Or draft extremely well

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What a convenient cover to just be able to say being terrible and losing is part of a plan. That way nothing you do can be used against you. We massively turned over the roster last year and somehow made the playoffs. What would be the thought process behind going backwards with mostly their own players?

Because the schedule was tougher and while mcd dis a masterful job we also go extremely lucky 

oh oh and we lost half or starting offensive line and no Tyrod

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What a convenient cover to just be able to say being terrible and losing is part of a plan. That way nothing you do can be used against you. We massively turned over the roster last year and somehow made the playoffs. What would be the thought process behind going backwards with mostly their own players?

People seem to forget we lost Wood and Incognito. Pretty tough to replace a pro bowl center and pro bowl left guard that were part of this year's plan. Ritchie signed a new contract for less, then lost his mind and Wood retired unexpectedly due to a neck injury. Dawkins, Incognito, and Wood from left tackle to center would have been one hell of a left side of the line. But I'm sure you had a plan for that.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Or draft extremely well

Because the schedule was tougher and while mcd dis a masterful job we also go extremely lucky 

oh oh and we lost half or starting offensive line and no Tyrod

We must have been typing at the same time regarding the oline. Didn't copy off of you.

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs who have executed rapid and complete identity and success makeovers virtually overnight is that the people the Bills hired decided to build using the "addition by subtraction" method.

It was an unnecessary roster setback.

Have they veered from their plan?    I say yes judging by things like the fact that major character issue players like Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor became targets.

But who's to say?   Because they haven't been up front or forthright about their plan.

But things like "we were in on this WR but blah blah salary cap and Buffalo" shouldn't be seen as a justifiable excuse.........how is that a defense when you passed on an option for Watkins then traded him?.......or weren't willing to pay $7M-8M for Woods.........you then traded back much of the capital from the Watkins deal to get Benjamin:doh:............I mean they grossly mismanaged the WR position.

I'm not giving up on them because it's possible they've been humbled and can make better decisions after all the QB/WR mistakes............but I see no reason to trust a process or plan. 

Prove it.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — With little money to spend and few impact players interested in signing with the Bills given the uncertainty at quarterback this past offseason, general manager Brandon Beane understood Buffalo’s offense was going to struggle.

Little did he realize how much.

“There’s nobody that goes into a season and looks for either side of the ball to have a down year and to be statistically where our offense is,” Beane told The Associated Press during a wide-ranging interview before Buffalo entered its bye week.

He then recalled something former coach John Fox once said when the two worked together in Carolina.

“There’s nobody going to rescue you in-season,” said Beane, in his second year in Buffalo. “You’ve got to dig out of it yourself. And all you can do is put your head down and keep working.”

Much of the heavy lifting will have to wait for the offseason when Buffalo is projected to be more than $90 million under the NFL’s salary cap, plus a current stockpile of 10 draft picks.

Hopefully this rookie GM now understands the importance of building a top offensive line and using his own judgement on player talent.

Perhaps he did realize that the line wasn't good enough and he couldn't find anyone better then what he already had on the roster. Although, I find that argument lacking when you see that Eric Wood retired in Jan, and Incognito was gone by April. Replacing that center and left guard should have been a higher priority and all we fans can do is hope he upgrades those positions and others on that line properly this offseason.  Protecting that young, inexperienced QB should be the number one goal of this regime going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We may have a little more money to spend, but unless Allen lights it up the last 6 games, "the uncertainty at quarterback" still holds true.  Premium offensive talent, if it comes at all, will come at a premium.

We're not likely to be after "premium offensive talent," in free agency. They have committed to building through the draft and in this article Beane makes a point of saying they will spend "judiciously." Which is what the best teams, the ones who are competitive consistently, do.

We'll fill in with low- and medium-priced FAs. And we have a number of spots, particularly on the offense, where that would be a real upgrade and fill holes.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Hopefully this rookie GM now understands the importance of building a top offensive line and using his own judgement on player talent.

Perhaps he did realize that the line wasn't good enough and he couldn't find anyone better then what he already had on the roster. Although, I find that argument lacking when you see that Eric Wood retired in Jan, and Incognito was gone by April. Replacing that center and left guard should have been a higher priority and all we fans can do is hope he upgrades those positions and others on that line properly this offseason.  Protecting that young, inexperienced QB should be the number one goal of this regime going forward. 

It's not lacking even slightly. It's a very convincing argument. 

The problem wasn't time. As we all knew, and as he further says in this very article, money was at a premium.

They were in awful cap shape from the Whaley era and they committed to the owners to fix that by the end of the season. Doing that meant there were only so many holes that could be filled this year.

And the young and inexperienced QB should have been on the bench all of this year. When that didn't happen - due to the mistake Beane owns up to making in QB depth - Allen ended up in games. But yeah, they absolutely need to make protecting Allen a major goal going forward.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Seriously, another rebuilding thread?   

Call me a troll if you wish 26 there are dozens of these threads 

You no what? if you don't want to read "another" building thread then don't click on it? no one is begging you to read it are they? ya need to get over it/yourself

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs who have executed rapid and complete identity and success makeovers virtually overnight is that the people the Bills hired decided to build using the "addition by subtraction" method.

No.

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs was that those three teams were at a totally different point in their team building plans. Those teams were not in the first two years of rebuilds. Not even close, actually. Whereas the Bills are right there, early in a rebuild.

Addition by subtraction is a method used early in rebuilds. It is not used late in rebuilds and it is not used in reloads. And since all of those teams you cite are either late in rebuilds or reloading instead of rebuilding ... of course they didn't do that. The Bills had neither the cap situation nor the roster talent to reload, though and that's why they rebuild, necessitating the bloodletting it takes to get a team very quickly from salary cap hell to salary cap sanity and at the same time get the draft pick to bring in a potential franchise QB.

It was completely necessary once they decided to rebuild. And in fact, since it has been reported that in their job interviews they promised the Pegulas that they would clean up the cap by the end of this year, the moment they were hired ... this became necessary.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Have they veered from their plan?    I say yes judging by things like the fact that major character issue players like Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor became targets.

But who's to say?   Because they haven't been up front or forthright about their plan.

But things like "we were in on this WR but blah blah salary cap and Buffalo" shouldn't be seen as a justifiable excuse.........how is that a defense when you passed on an option for Watkins then traded him?.......or weren't willing to pay $7M-8M for Woods.........you then traded back much of the capital from the Watkins deal to get Benjamin:doh:............I mean they grossly mismanaged the WR position.

I'm not giving up on them because it's possible they've been humbled and can make better decisions after all the QB/WR mistakes............but I see no reason to trust a process or plan. 

Prove it.

I was actually wondering this morning; if McDermott had to choose between the process and himself, what would he choose? I think that up until now it was the process and not himself, and I think that is changing a bit.

For instance, the process said that Josh Allen should sit for 4-6 weeks to get acclimated and Nathan Peterman beat our AJ McCarron in preseason. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked McDermott (and he was candid, for once) who the best QB on our roster was after the 4th preseason game, he would have said Josh Allen. His gut would've been on Allen, but he traded McCarron and started Peterman because that was the process.  My opinion, assuming health, you always play your best player at any position regardless of circumstances.

Or maybe it's 4th & 1 and the opponent's 43. The process says punt and trust your Defense. Maybe McD, having learned from Riverboat Ron, has an itch to go for it with Tolbert or DiMarco. But he trusts the process instead of himself.

As a man of faith, I think he felt it was easier to get a locker room of guys to trust an ever-working, time-tested process instead of getting them to trust him, the first time HC who was also making personnel decisions.  As we move forward, I think that McD needs to have more faith in himself and the team will as well.

17 hours ago, kota said:

Pretty sure that if you draft a QB at 7 you are rebuilding.  Just saying... Why is this a surprise for anyone?

The Bills were a playoff team last year. 

The 7th pick wasn't their until they sold off a ton of assets to get there. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills were a playoff team last year. 

The 7th pick wasn't their until they sold off a ton of assets to get there. 

They were a rebuilding team last year that made the playoffs primarily because of good coaching, a weak AFC, over achieving, and luck - not because they were a playoff team. You might think that is nuanced distinction; however, it is not.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not expecting him to light it up with what he has to work with.  I'm looking for more encouraging signs that the game is beginning to slow down for him by showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch.