John Wawrow: Struggles Aside, Bills GM Not Veering from Rebuilding Plan

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Figures you're one of those "muh winz" cronies. News flash: 7-9 every year is a BAD thing.

You obviously don't pay money to go to the games... 

3-7 and the worst offense in NFL history isn't what I'm paying my money to go see 8 times a year. 

The Bills goal should be to win the Super Bowl, but they also need to entertain the fans, and this year the games have been unwatchable for the most part. 

Edited by jrober38

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You expect NFL teams to not rebiuld?  Good luck with that.

Are you happier with the 7-9 and 8-8 seasons where we dont go to the playoffs but pick in the 20's?

The bills could be 7-9 this season. 

Regardless, it’s not where you pick, it is who you pick.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd like to see this "report" of them promising the Pegulas to clean up the cap. 

Reporters are full of facts, didn’t you know? And Coaches/Managers always tell the truth, even when they lie? 

1 hour ago, nucci said:

it wasn't my intention to insult you. Sorry if you took it that way

56 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It's all good. An overreaction on my part. 

Are you two gonna have the sex?

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well it is a new and direct story from Beane.  So I dont see an issue with this thread to discuss Beanes comments.  Its not even remotely as bad as the threads plaguing this site right now.  I mean one dude in a thread today said NP was not good, too weak of an arm, and barely a backup...then also starts a thread saying racism is why he is getting back lash and says he can be good and used Alex Smith as an example of how he should become a good player somewhere else like other Bills castoffs.  Its just nonsense over and over on this board, at least this thread is a real story and deals with real comments.

the only way on the board these days is to really narrow the scope of posters you are able to view :)

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You obviously don't pay money to go to the games... 

3-7 and the worst offense in NFL history isn't what I'm paying my money to go see 8 times a year. 

The Bills goal should be to win the Super Bowl, but they also need to entertain the fans, and this year the games have been unwatchable for the most part. 

My God it's Russ Brandon!

People will go to games no matter what. That's how we are up here.

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No.

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs was that those three teams were at a totally different point in their team building plans. Those teams were not in the first two years of rebuilds. Not even close, actually. Whereas the Bills are right there, early in a rebuild.

Addition by subtraction is a method used early in rebuilds. It is not used late in rebuilds and it is not used in reloads. And since all of those teams you cite are either late in rebuilds or reloading instead of rebuilding ... of course they didn't do that. The Bills had neither the cap situation nor the roster talent to reload, though and that's why they rebuild, necessitating the bloodletting it takes to get a team very quickly from salary cap hell to salary cap sanity and at the same time get the draft pick to bring in a potential franchise QB.

It was completely necessary once they decided to rebuild. And in fact, since it has been reported that in their job interviews they promised the Pegulas that they would clean up the cap by the end of this year, the moment they were hired ... this became necessary.

The Eagles and Rams when Pederson and McVay were hired were in much worse states as a roster than the Bills were when McD arrived.

I mean the Bills played the Rams in 2016..........and routed them.........they were utterly punchless on offense under Jeff Fisher despite a serviceable veteran QB in Case Keenum.........their once high pick loaded defense was not panning out..........they totally flipped that script in one offseason(without owning a first round pick!).

The Eagles had been torn down by Chip Kelly..........the Bills were much more talented than that roster in 2016 when Pederson took over........a season later he raises the Lombardi.

And the Chiefs.........for years the Bills and Chiefs have been talent equals.........just better coached.    They swindled the Bills into giving them Mahomes and now they are atop the AFC and seemingly light years ahead of the Bills(who beat them in KC last season).

It is what it is..........the Bills did it their way and it was clearly not the most efficient way.    They sit at 3-7 in year 2 and tons of question marks.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah but now with Cuomo's surprise win for Governor, any updates on Kim's plan for public assistance with the new stadium?

Isn't Cuomo the one who, reportedly, wanted to secure the Bills in WNY longterm? Depending on how this Amazon HQ2 deal pans out, feel like we should try and make this happen sooner than later. People aren't too happy about that tax break and he might not have much more support depending on how that process goes.

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Isn't Cuomo the one who, reportedly, wanted to secure the Bills in WNY longterm? Depending on how this Amazon HQ2 deal pans out, feel like we should try and make this happen sooner than later. People aren't too happy about that tax break and he might not have much more support depending on how that process goes.

I can't decide if you're serious or this is satire.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can't decide if you're serious or this is satire.

Which part? Outside of college I never lived in NY after I was 6, and outside of family being from there. I only remember from way back that Cuomo's administration was the one that would be in support of a new stadium project:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8247657/governor-andrew-cuomo-senator-charles-schumer-move-keep-buffalo-bills-town

I know the renovations happened since, but no idea beyond that. Sadly also serious about amazon - been living in seattle for both the pre and post zon, and can tell you NY got fleeced by that tax break. 

10 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Which part? Outside of college I never lived in NY after I was 6, and outside of family being from there. I only remember from way back that Cuomo's administration was the one that would be in support of a new stadium project:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8247657/governor-andrew-cuomo-senator-charles-schumer-move-keep-buffalo-bills-town

I know the renovations happened since, but no idea beyond that. Sadly also serious about amazon - been living in seattle for both the pre and post zon, and can tell you NY got fleeced by that tax break. 

You think that after giving tax breaks to Amazon of 2 billion, the state might be inclined to give a single billionaire a 1 billion+ stadium "sooner rather than later"?

Anyway, people are already screaming about the tax break which not technically a giveaway (since if Amazon did not come to NYC, their would be no tax on earning for them to be forgiven) to a company that is going to plop down 25,000 new workers making an average of 125K into a crappy part of the city (most of the area, new residential towers clustered together excluded) who will pump millions directly into the local economy and the tax base in general (those are state AND NYC taxes the will pay).

Zero chance the state (certainly not Cuomo who grandstanded about "keeping the Bills in NYS, with Schumer because...why not? It's free) is going to PAY actual state funds to help Pegula build a stadium that will have negligible economic impact locally----especially after the "Buffalo Billion" disaster.

Edited by Mr. WEO

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think that after giving tax breaks to Amazon of 2 billion, the state might be inclined to give a single billionaire a 1 billion+ stadium "sooner rather than later"?

Anyway, people are already screaming about the tax break which not technically a giveaway (since if Amazon did not come to NYC, their would be no tax on earning for them to be forgiven) to a company that is going to plop down 25,000 new workers making an average of 125K into a crappy part of the city (most of the area, new residential towers clustered together excluded) who will pump millions directly into the local economy and the tax base in general (those are state AND NYC taxes the will pay).

Zero chance the state (certainly not Cuomo who grandstanded about "keeping the Bills in NYS, with Schumer because...why not? It's free) is going to PAY actual state funds to help Pegula build a stadium that will have negligible economic impact locally----especially after the "Buffalo Billion" disaster.

Well good to know re: Cuomo.

As for Amazon, how much time do you have? It's NYC and it's not Seattle; it's the second time around so it'll likely be a different approach; and yes, it is a massive financial injection that will provide some economic influx, that can't be argued. What is the cause of the debate is cost/benefit analysis - and the fact that Amazon has actually vastly increased costs more than benefits comparably. They made those same promises to Seattle as well when Amazon finally started to grow big, as a result of the local entrepreneurial economy already established here by multiple other tech and non-tech based companies. Promises never happened. Those 25,000 jobs making $125k will more than likely be filled by people from out of state and are already within the company. No money will flow locally until Amazon literally puts Queens under construction for the next 25 years and increases population density in one of the most densely populated areas in the country. And the cost of living in an already over-inflated area will only go up forcing people out. 

But the real fleecing doesn't come with the tax break as much as it does anyone believing their promises. Amazon has had a very poor track record of actually economically revitalizing an area - most of what you saw happen in Seattle since Amazon arrived was primarily due to Microsoft and the tech industry coming in beforehand (of which Amazon was a bandwagoner moving to the area in '94), UW tech-focused programs creating domestic human capital to fit the industry, and those other companies called Boeing, Nordstrom, Eddie Bauer, REI, and fricking Starbucks. So those "millions" getting pumped into the local economy and tax base in general? They won't be coming from Amazon. If you want what happened here you want Seattle, you don't want Amazon. 

Decent piece explaining exactly this, and sourcing some of my own opinions: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/19/amazon-headquarters-seattle-215725 - more of the economic conversation occurs at the end of the article, leading in with more of the social and cultural impacts

Edited by ctk232

12 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I was actually wondering this morning; if McDermott had to choose between the process and himself, what would he choose? I think that up until now it was the process and not himself, and I think that is changing a bit.

For instance, the process said that Josh Allen should sit for 4-6 weeks to get acclimated and Nathan Peterman beat our AJ McCarron in preseason. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked McDermott (and he was candid, for once) who the best QB on our roster was after the 4th preseason game, he would have said Josh Allen. His gut would've been on Allen, but he traded McCarron and started Peterman because that was the process.  My opinion, assuming health, you always play your best player at any position regardless of circumstances.

Or maybe it's 4th & 1 and the opponent's 43. The process says punt and trust your Defense. Maybe McD, having learned from Riverboat Ron, has an itch to go for it with Tolbert or DiMarco. But he trusts the process instead of himself.

As a man of faith, I think he felt it was easier to get a locker room of guys to trust an ever-working, time-tested process instead of getting them to trust him, the first time HC who was also making personnel decisions.  As we move forward, I think that McD needs to have more faith in himself and the team will as well.

This is a very interesting thought..............I mean we tend to associate the man with what he's does("process") but inevitably he was going to have to be better than that.

My take on him from the beginning was that he knew he was a "nobody" first time hire coming to a veteran Bills team that was going to want to see him prove that he knew what he was doing after the Rexperiment ended with two underachieving seasons.

But he also knew he wasn't smart enough to do that by scheming a team up.

"The Process" allowed him some time to fake it til he made it(or not).

IMO that's what was WRONG with the hire.

For once I'd like to have a HC/GM combo that can efficiently build and win with their intellect rather than these McBeane dudes trying to make "stone soup".

As usual, JW nails it. More pieces will be put in place in 19, but the way this reads, 20 is the first year that we can start to evaluate these leaders. 

There is is a plan. At some point the Bills need to stick to it. The lumps up front are the sprint, but this is a marathon.