Edit 2: The Bills back to #2 Total Yd D; Ravens 66 yards better against th Bucs

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Much more important stats where the Bills are ranked in the middle of the pack....points allowed and 3rd down %.

Points, ok.  But why do you think 3d down percentage is so important?  Seems like there could be all kinds of reasons for a good (or bad) 3rd down percentage.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Points, ok.  But why do you think 3d down percentage is so important?  Seems like there could be all kinds of reasons for a good (or bad) 3rd down percentage.

The ability of your defense to get off the field at key points in the game, and avoid long drives.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I'm more concerned about the RZ defense, although I have no explanation or theory. Just needs to be better if they're to be considered an elite unit.

3rd down percentage is annoying as a fan, but probably has too many variables to be considered statistically significant.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The ability of your defense to get off the field at key points in the game, and avoid long drives.

I understand that.  I’m wondering if there is a high statistical correlation between opponents’ 3rd down conversion rate and winning (or even having a good defense).  For example, I see that the Jets have the second best defensive 3d down conversion rate in the league this year.  That would seem to undermine the efficacy of that particular stat.  In fact, looking at the list, there seems to be almost no correlation between good defenses and conversion rate.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I understand that.  I’m wondering if there is a high statistical correlation between opponents’ 3rd down conversion rate and winning (or even having a good defense).  For example, I see that the Jets have the second best defensive 3d down conversion rate in the league this year.  That would seem to undermine the efficacy of that particular stat.  In fact, looking at the list, there seems to be almost no correlation between good defenses and conversion rate.

I guess you can massage any stats multiple ways.  Even through you lead the league in yards allowed, what if you suck at allowing scores when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter?  You suck at RZ defense?  

I guess it's hard to get excited when the team you just shut down may even be worse than your offense.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess you can massage any stats multiple ways.  Even through you lead the league in yards allowed, what if you suck at allowing scores when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter?  You suck at RZ defense?  

I guess it's hard to get excited when the team you just shut down may even be worse than your offense.

Yeah, but it doesn't stem, or rather start from there, LB.

They held the Bears to 191 yards and as Sal pointed out this morning the Bills D was averaging 359 for the first two games and then for the last eight the average has been 288.

I see where you are coming from, but honestly, this is just plain a really good defense.  

5 hours ago, vorpma said:

Ok, so what, its a cycle that can change quickly; welcome to the real world! No *****, you need to score points to win, what a new concept!

It's a cycle? All the rules are pointing to YOU NEED OFFENSE, and every great team has a franchise player at one position and it sure as hell is not MLB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

It's a cycle? All the rules are pointing to YOU NEED OFFENSE, and every great team has a franchise player at one position and it sure as hell is not MLB.

No kidding - duh, you have to score points to win, and no S***, you need franchise players on offense, thank you Captain Obvious, the elite poster!

1). No one said McDermott wasn’t a good defensive coach.  I think the problem a lot of people had is giving a first time head coach Belichick type control over the franchise.

2). Teams definitely become more conservative with the lead.  The Bears, for instance, just basically tried to run out the clock.  This D is still very impressive and there is a lot of talent on it.  

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Take it anyway you want; offense needs to score points and defense needs to limit points in order to gain that critical statistic you so eloquently stated: wins! 

Probably a generational thing, I love defensive battles in open air, cold gray days, with mud, snow, beer, and hitting.  Defense can still win, probably defies conventional thinking but in the end it still wins!

You guys love Arena Football with two hundred points a game in your under shirt in a domed stadium enjoying 75 degree and dry days! 

Nice try but I haven’t seen an arena league game. I do believe in a sound defense. Buffalo’s number one defense by whatever metric hasn’t done so well against the Colts, Bears, or GB and these are decent offenses. They haven’t played the Chefs, Saints or Rams so keep trying and don’t try to put me in some sort of box that fits a narrative that suits you because you don’t know anything about me. 

How many yards did Fitz have yesterday? And how many points? Stats are for fantasy leagues and wins are for real. 

11 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

I'm sorry, but that's just not how it works. Again, I am referring ONLY to defensive ranking in terms of yards allowed. The Bills may well be a better defense next year in terms of points allowed or other measures, but they will not be the "#1 defense" because this is based on yards. It never works this way in the NFL. When you have a great offense, you typically have a middle-of-the-road defense statistically.

Again, the Bills do have a great defense. That is not at argument.

Well almost everyone on the defense is under contract and our young players developing will certainly help make them better...so.  They will not be number one because you say so?  Because history says so?  History is broken every day.  Stop saying can't and won't, those are the words of a quitter who doesn't have what it takes to be different and make history

On 11/12/2018 at 1:53 PM, The_Dude said:

Because I didn't think my point needed to be explaining, but apparently it does because of your comment on how the Chiefs offense isn't turning the ball over.

Of course they're not -- they're a good offense. Now, look at their record. Now look at ours.

We have the #1 defense and yet we've been largely un-competitive, and blown-out on several occasions. I like a good defense as much as the next guy. But with the way the league is structured now, the offense should be more the focus. The Bills, under McDermott, have yet to focus too much on the offense. And the record shows the folly in that. 

You don't need to explain a point you don't have. Just doesn't make sense. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Today was obviously the aberration for this offense, but for the defense to be atop the league in yards given up considering the overall sucktitude of the O in 80% of the games is pretty amazing. McDermott can coach defense.

I'm sorry to burst your imaginary bubble  but Leslie Frasier has and always been a great defensive coach. The #1  defense running today is the same defense he ran in Tampa bay , Minnesota. This is his defense which is  the Tampa Two not Micky- D. who prefer to the run the Jim Johnson scheme from his days in Philly  & Carolina. When the coach tried to take over defensive  coaching duties for a half.Leslie had to tell him " This is his defense " not his. Leslie understood Micky-D was getting nervous so he calmed him down by telling him its understandable as a 1st time coach you try anything but he has to trust Leslie process in running a defense he is not familiar with and don't ever make that mistake again.  

What this joke of a  head coach need to do is dismiss his buddies on the offense side of the ball he chose the o-line; qb and receivers coach with him from his time in philly and carolina'  once the quality of coaches improve the offense will improve  

• Like (+1) 1