California wildfires

Jon in Pasadena

53 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

In the words of Harry Chapin, "It was funny how he called the only name who could save him now."

Insane video. Simply gut-wrenching.  Oh, and thank you baby Jesus.

Holy *****.  That was the crazies thing I've ever seen.  

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Is that how you wanna live.

[/sarcasm_on] Of course! Most certainly, victimhood is great.  And if you ain't filming it, you ain't trying.  Make it out alive, put every little nuance of the ordeal on Social Media and people will rally around.[/sarcasm_off]

"You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry"

Instead of the newsroom delivering it to the world, today it's the actual victims bringing it onto our handheld devices.  Go figue!  And they don't seem to mind the shameless LAMPs.

"Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry..."

"...We don't even need the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
To tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die (or almost die)
Give us dirty laundry..."

I will deliver it myself thank you very much! We have gotten to the low point where we deliver our own tragedies and love it! Quite amazing!  We have automated tabloid journalism!

Those who protect those who cannot protect themselves are the ones who most often overlooked.  The woman was insane to do this risking her life and we need to be grateful that someone cares that much for the helpless and weak.  Agriculture is ***** in events like this.  All the people affected were barely able to save themselves; how many head of cattle of horses died?  The chickens, the penned up animals: goats, sheep, gugny, pigs didn't make it?

Edited by Boyst62

23 hours ago, Wacka said:

They were trying to get out of the fire area. If they stayed there they would be among the dead.

I'm assuming they are given warnings to get out well in advance(maybe not because of wind direction changing).  Even so, much like hurricane warnings, those who ignore them end up putting their lives in danger.  i.e. driving thru fire ravaged areas.  

The winds can be almost hurricane force.  The fire car spread as fast as you can drive.  Have you ever seen a  bone dry pine  start on fire. I saw one on TV. The tree  literally went woosh.  Was fully engulfed in a second. This is still the dry season. No rain from Feb/ March until November. I mean no rain, not even a drop.

My son works for Cal Fire and is fighting the fires in the Woolsey fire right now. He just texted me they are getting their ***** handed to them in this fire so far. He has worked 30 hours straight on this shift. Great video in that clip. I had to do that twice in the Witch Creek fire in 2007. My ranch burned down in that one.

I lived in the SF Bay area for almost 20 years.  There are a  lot of open space parks there with scrub oaks and chaparral.  When there were red flag warnings (high fire danger), no one at all was allowed in them, just in case any spark was generated.The fine for being there was in the thousands.

23 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Holy *****.  That was the crazies thing I've ever seen.  

I think the last thing I would be doing is making sure I got video. That's kinda bizarre unless it's mounted on the dash but sure does look like it was handheld.

25 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I lived in the SF Bay area for almost 20 years.  There are a  lot of open space parks there with scrub oaks and chaparral.  When there were red flag warnings (high fire danger), no one at all was allowed in them, just in case any spark was generated.The fine for being there was in the thousands.

Wouldn't they clear the underbrush/growth away?  Like we use to manage the forests:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/07/30/californias-devastating-fires-are-man-caused-but-not-in-the-way-they-tell-us/#305da5d870af

"As the Gold Rush remade modern California, timber was harvested and replanted. Fires were suppressed because they threatened homes as well as burned up a valuable resource. The landscape filled in with trees, but the trees were harvested every 30 to 50 years. In the 1990s, however, that cycle began to be disrupted with increasingly burdensome regulations. The timber harvest cycle slowed, and, in some areas, stopped completely, especially on the almost 60% of California forest land owned by the federal government. Federal lands have not been managed for decades, threatening adjacent private forests, while federal funds designated for forest maintenance have been “borrowed” for fire suppression expenses.  The policies frequently reduce the economic value of the forest to zero. And, with no intrinsic worth remaining, interest in maintaining the forest declined, and with it, resources to reduce the fuel load."

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm assuming they are given warnings to get out well in advance(maybe not because of wind direction changing).  Even so, much like hurricane warnings, those who ignore them end up putting their lives in danger.  i.e. driving thru fire ravaged areas.  

No. This is not a weather storm. We get the warnings every year about this time. We typically don’t have rain for 6 months. And this is when we get the dry warm Santa Ana winds. So yes we get warnings. But where will the fires start and how no one knows.  Not a clue. And when one starts the embers blow for miles and start fires when no one expects so often the warnings come too late. I was driving through Napa after the fires last year. You’d be driving along and everything would be fine and long the freeway you’d see one structure burned to the ground....one. Then you’d drive a few more miles and there would be another pile of ashes....one. Most bizarre thing I ever saw. So yes some people ***** themselves by not leaving but sometimes there is no time.  Kind of like the Oakland Hills Fire in 1991 that killed 25. 

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Jeff Bridges is blaming global warming...

So is Neil Young.  /smh

I am by no means a Trump supporter, but maybe if they managed "the fuel" better... They could be proactive instead of reactive.

I posted the Forbes article up thread.  It (article) was published this past summer.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Jeff Bridges is blaming global warming...

That pompous !@#$ needs to blame himself. It's overpopulation and Californians being too stupid to realize the importance of controlled Burns. Since California  wont do it may choose doing it itself.  

I have little empathy for those affected by this by choosing to live in a place so backwards that it will not protect its citizens en masse to  protect the feelings of those too stupid to realize how naturer works

Edited by Boyst62