Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

20 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why do people keep saying they purged bad salaries when most of the guys we're talking about are playing for SuperBowl contenders?

Ok.  Marcel dareus was playing great for us.  Showing supreme effort and was clearly a great signing.  My bad.  He’s half the dead cap.  K thanks

Just now, NewEra said:

Ok.  Marcel dareus was playing great for us.  Showing supreme effort and was clearly a great signing.  My bad.  He’s half the dead cap.  K thanks

He's far better than Star. It's not even close. Our defense literally went to pieces for a 3 game stretch after he was traded. He was asked to be a space eater and that's what he was doing. Kind of like Star, except he occasionally made plays.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I thought I answered that already. But I'll restate: 

Yes. They NEEDED to trade THOSE players for THOSE assets to acquire the draft capital necessary to maneuver in this year's draft WITHOUT having to mortgage high picks in future drafts. 

So, NO. I don't see any other alternative as it took good players to acquire high enough picks to interest potential trade partners in the last draft. 

I can't state it more plainly. You would have been OK with trading future high picks to move into the top 10 to get our QB. Fine. I disagree. Especially because even with those traded players, I believe our record wouldn't be much better, if any better at all, given the QB situation. And this forum would be in a meltdown over the prospects of having a sucking season with no #1 pick, at a minimum, in the next draft. 

Ok but Allen aside, it's clear he mis-handled the QB position as a group this offseason - he basically admits that he "learned his lesson."  And it's also clear that, despite the financial handicap they're in and the mortgaging of 2018 draft picks for Allen, they did NOT expect to be this bad on offense.  They just didn't - and that's on them.  There were alternatives to having zero speed at the WR position and a bunch of scrub offensive linemen who can't run a standard play without colliding with each other - there were other ways to go about it.  They just screwed it up.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

He's far better than Star. It's not even close. Our defense literally went to pieces for a 3 game stretch after he was traded. He was asked to be a space eater and that's what he was doing. Kind of like Star, except he occasionally made plays.

He wasn’t far better than star for us last year. First year coach, comes in, sees his highest paid player as one of the biggest loafers.  Talks to him and tries to motivate him.  Doesn’t work. Continues to rub off poorly on the team.  What is one to do?  Getting a 5th round pick was a steal imo.  He didn’t want to be here man.  He made that clear by his actions.  He didn’t deserve to be here.

we went on that 3 game stretch.....and then what happened? Oh yeah.  We made the playoffs.  Without him.  This year’s record isn’t a reflection of our run D or defense in general.  We don’t miss him and his 18 mill a year contract.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The handling of the QB situation is their fault. Just complete mismanagement of the position and too much faith in a guy who is ***** terrible. 

I agree the offense would still be bad because their QBs(Mostly Peterman)are awful at the moment.(Again, their fault) But having Glenn and Watkins would certainly make it look a lot better than it's historically bad performance week in and week out and extremely beneficial for Allen going forward. Again, why trade good, young established NFL players for unknown draft picks? 

Asked and answered. Twice. We are at the point of talking past each other. I'll leave it all at that. 

Just now, NewEra said:

He wasn’t far better than star for us last year. First year coach, comes in, sees his highest paid player as one of the biggest loafers.  Talks to him and tries to motivate him.  Doesn’t work. Continues to rub off poorly on the team.  What is one to do?  Getting a 5th round pick was a steal imo.  He didn’t want to be here man.  He made that clear by his actions.  He didn’t deserve to be here.

we went on that 3 game stretch.....and then what happened? Oh yeah.  We made the playoffs.  Without him.  This year’s record isn’t a reflection of our run D or defense in general.  We don’t miss him and his 18 mill a year contract.

McDermott wasn't able to maximize his ability. That much is true.

Doesn't change the fact that between Dareus, Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Goodwin, and Gilmore, most of them are playing for Superbowl contenders.

This regime will be scrambling to overpay for players like them this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ok but Allen aside, it's clear he mis-handled the QB position as a group this offseason - he basically admits that he "learned his lesson."  And it's also clear that, despite the financial handicap they're in and the mortgaging of 2018 draft picks for Allen, they did NOT expect to be this bad on offense.  They just didn't - and that's on them.  There were alternatives to having zero speed at the WR position and a bunch of scrub offensive linemen who can't run a standard play without colliding with each other - there were other ways to go about it.  They just screwed it up.

I stated the same several times over in various threads for some time now. 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Additionally, I'll concede I didn't mind moving Dareus when we did. I hated the Sammy trade because explosive, competent receivers are SOOOO hard to come by. I don't mind overpaying them.

At this point, I've lost all confidence in this regime's ability to evaluate pro personnel.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

McDermott wasn't able to maximize his ability. That much is true.

Doesn't change the fact that between Dareus, Woods, Watkins, Glenn, Goodwin, and Gilmore, most of them are playing for Superbowl contenders.

This regime will be scrambling to overpay for players like them this offseason. 

He wasn’t able to maximize his ability in McDermott’s system one could say.  He was pissed and he wasn’t a team player.  You obviously haven’t been paying attention to what this McD guy is all about.  All about 1-11.  Buy in or be gone.  Yes, they’ll overpay this year.  No doubt about it.  But they likely won’t overpay for someone that isn’t all in on this team, this scheme, this city.  Dareus was not that.  He is gone.  And his team sucks too

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Not these two, they won't.

Fair enough. I've never had a problem with their decision to not overpay for Gilmore. 

Gilmore was the one guy they couldn't afford cap wise, and he's not worth his price tag regardless.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

whats the difference between tanking and "growth mode"???just semantics..

they knew they were going to lose this year...but that does not mean they wanted to I guess. The Sabres WANTED to lose.

“Looking toward the future” is not tanking, although they make look the same on the field....assuming you can open your eyes and watch.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He wasn’t able to maximize his ability in McDermott’s system one could say.  He was pissed and he wasn’t a team player.  You obviously haven’t been paying attention to what this McD guy is all about.  

That's where you're wrong. 

I've paid very close attention to what this McD guy is "about." 

He's ABOUT to be out of a job unless they have the offseason of the century.

• Thank you (+1) 1