Friend wants to go to a home game..... I ask why?

7 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I'll be that guy.

Because someday you or one of your friends will be dead and whoever is left may just regret not having that one extra chance to hang out together. Life is too short to overly obsess about teams records, performances or possible Playoff contention. Go have a good day with some people that can stand to be around you for that long. Have some food. Have some fun. Yell your heads off for at least a quarter. Life's way too short to ask "Why should I".

Fans  are getting too binary these days with teams, either win it all or it’s all garbage 

probably something  to do with this new stats obsession that lets people think they have some hidden knowledge of sports, when they are just wasting their time unless paid to do this

i go weeks without meeting a baseball fan and then he ruins it by thinking he’s lord god almighty because he memorized some stat to 4 decimals

Edited by row_33

16 hours ago, tbarg12 said:

I'm flying from Dallas to Buffalo for the Dec 9th game against the Jets, mainly because:

1. It will be my first game in Buffalo

2. Going for the experience of the atmosphere

3. Hanging with family

4. Watching Josh Allen hopefully 

I also live in Dallas and flew to games there.

Let me tell you one thing though, disregard #2. You won't get a good feeling of the atmosphere that far into a Bills season, especially THIS season.

The Bills don't have to be good for the fans to support them, but they have to at least be watchable. I went to a game end of November back in 2008, and we weren't half as bad as this team but weren't looking likely to make the playoffs either. We were 6-5 going into that game, and there were plenty of empty seats. Though many of the diehard fans may enjoy the cold, it's clear regular Buffalonians who aren't enamored with it dislike wasting time in the weather to watch a poor team play. My game wasn't even bad, just a tiny bit of mist in the cold, but it was clear fans weren't willing to come out.

To top it off, normally nice Buffalonians are usually beaten down by this team by that point & are much more apathetic, cynical & not as cheery. I almost got in a fight in the stands, and it takes a LOT to piss me off. Thankfully I put the fear of god into that dude and he opted to just bail, but man...complete opposite atmosphere of what every other Bills game I've gone to was like. Key thing there is every other game I've gone to has been in September or October, usually the earlier in the season the better.

Still, the tailgaiting was fun, and I love the city's architecture & less-modern look (compared to Dallas at least). We of course lost to the lowly 49ers, with our reliable kicker somehow missing several field goals, but it was still a decent time. I'm just saying whatever happens, don't judge the atmosphere based off of a late game this season.  Come back pretty much any other time, and you'll see how awesome Bills fan really can be.

Edited by BigDingus

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I also live in Dallas and flew to games there.

Let me tell you one thing though, disregard #2. You won't get a good feeling of the atmosphere that far into a Bills season, especially THIS season.

The Bills don't have to be good for the fans to support them, but they have to at least be watchable. I went to a game end of November back in 2008, and we weren't half as bad as this team but weren't looking likely to make the playoffs either. We were 6-5 going into that game, and there were plenty of empty seats. Though many of the diehard fans may enjoy the cold, it's clear regular Buffalonians who aren't enamored with it dislike wasting time in the weather to watch a poor team play. My game wasn't even bad, just a tiny bit of mist in the cold, but it was clear fans weren't willing to come out.

To top it off, normally nice Buffalonians are usually beaten down by this team by that point & are much more apathetic, cynical & not as cheery. I almost got in a fight in the stands, and it takes a LOT to piss me off. Thankfully I put the fear of god into that dude and he opted to just bail, but man...complete opposite atmosphere of what every other Bills game I've gone to was like. Key thing there is every other game I've gone to has been in September or October, usually the earlier in the season the better.

Still, the tailgaiting was fun, and I love the city's architecture & less-modern look (compared to Dallas at least). We of course lost to the lowly 49ers, with our reliable kicker somehow missing several field goals, but it was still a decent time. I'm just saying whatever happens, don't judge the atmosphere based off of a late game this season.  Come back pretty much any other time, and you'll see how awesome Bills fan really can be.

Yeah I would imagine going to the home opener vs late in the season would be a different atmosphere. I mainly chose the Jets game cause I was hoping it would be more competitive than the other games but we shall see. 

Tailgating should be fun though, and not having to be at Cowboys stadium will be enjoyable lol 

The feel has been flat at home all season.  The opener is usually pretty buzzing but the heat was already oppressive and then the Chargers ate our lunch and kicked our dog.

MNF was probably the tamest primetime crowd I’ve ever experienced.

It’s not going to be any better the rest of this season as the record and weather gets worse, however we are always creative with our menu and our tailgate crew always has fun bustin each other’s chops.

I’d say if you want the real full experience, early next season is your best bet.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm in my 50's......  I like tailgating, but much rather do it in 70 degree weather then shivering and battling traffic.

Oh and would like to see a watchable football game too.....

You’re in your 50’s and you’re asking a message board if it’s ok that you decline going to a live game because you don’t enjoy the experience like you once did? 

Sounds like you’re being peer pressured. Put on your man pants and tell your friend no. It’s ok. I still kinda like going, but I’ve declined invites multiple times. I imagine when I’m in my 50’s and the teams not doing so hot I’ll have even less a problem declining. 

Tradition with your buds tho, come on man. How many of those do you still have? Sure you want to toss it? Guy hangs are like pto, you don’t use ‘em you lose ‘em! 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You’re in your 50’s and you’re asking a message board if it’s ok that you decline going to a live game because you don’t enjoy the experience like you once did? 

Sounds like you’re being peer pressured. Put on your man pants and tell your friend no. It’s ok. I still kinda like going, but I’ve declined invites multiple times. I imagine when I’m in my 50’s and the teams not doing so hot I’ll have even less a problem declining. 

Tradition with your buds tho, come on man. How many of those do you still have? Sure you want to toss it? Guy hangs are like pto, you don’t use ‘em you lose ‘em! 

True about the buds.  Could always have them over to watch the game instead of making the trek to the b'lo.

25 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

True about the buds.  Could always have them over to watch the game instead of making the trek to the b'lo.

True, but then you get one guy calling and saying he won’t get there til halftime. Another one saying he has to leave at halftime to pick something up for the wife, two of the guys aren’t eating because they have a big family dinner afterward. 

Not to mention they all fly out of the door the moment the game reaches zeroes. 

Its never the same as dedicating a full day to stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The feel has been flat at home all season.  The opener is usually pretty buzzing but the heat was already oppressive and then the Chargers ate our lunch and kicked our dog.

MNF was probably the tamest primetime crowd I’ve ever experienced.

It’s not going to be any better the rest of this season as the record and weather gets worse, however we are always creative with our menu and our tailgate crew always has fun bustin each other’s chops.

I’d say if you want the real full experience, early next season is your best bet.

Dude, you need to come to Hammers with you and your crew for the Jags game

42 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

We park in Doc’s Lot, that’s close enough to that buffoonery for me. No offense.

On one hand you claim MNF was tamest ever, yet then say buffoonery exists.  What is it?

Yes... MNF, games in general are tamer than they were 30 years ago... But society has changed.

I still beg to differ.  The atmosphere on The MNF game against the Pats** was still more electric than the rest of the League.  You saw the lots right? 

And Bills suck! Lost...

Going to ANY game in Indy is tame.  Sterile.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

On one hand you claim MNF was tamest ever, yet then say buffoonery exists.  What is it?

It can certainly be both.

Sure there’s always a party at Hammer’s,  that’s not my scene, but those who partake clearly enjoy it and good for them, I’m not trying to pee on anyone’s parade. 

The overall feel that monday night was definitely on the mellow side. The walk into the stadium is usually a pretty good gauge and it was relatively calm for a primetime, division game. It didn’t have that continual raucous din. Crowd was up for kickoff, but when the Pats started to pull away, the building was deflated.

And yeah things change over the years, no doubt. The lots are policed better and things are tamped down compared to say MNF in ‘07. 

9 hours ago, tbarg12 said:

Yeah I would imagine going to the home opener vs late in the season would be a different atmosphere. I mainly chose the Jets game cause I was hoping it would be more competitive than the other games but we shall see. 

Tailgating should be fun though, and not having to be at Cowboys stadium will be enjoyable lol 

Yeah, I'm sure many teams have better atmospheres for openers & early in the season, but even when the Bills are looking like they'll lay another egg for the season, the fans & stadium are usually awesome. Like many have said before, it's far more like a college atmosphere than a pro one, and I'm saying that as a guy who went to Texas Tech with some of the most rowdy fans in the Big XII (side note: why the actual f*** is it still the Big "12?" Ten teams...c'mon guys).

But when the weather is bad or just too cold, combined with the offense being dismal to watch, I've noticed the fans in the stands are much less motivated to invest in the game, and are also quite a bit more agitated & irritable. Not nearly as supportive as some may lead you to believe, but I don't blame them either.

I hope your experience is great though! Enjoy, and bring them some good luck ;)

19 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

No.... It was clear at halftime last week.

I told people before the season I'm not going, I knew people going to the titans game and told them no. 

I always make it a point to go to night games because I love the atmosphere, and it's nice not getting up at like 7 to get there to drink on a Sunday. I didnt even try this year. More so because I'm done going to games vs the Pats with Brady, I used to make it a point to go to those also. They're not fun to me anymore lol.

But it was clear they'd be bad. And I generally don't enjoy going to games as much as I used too. Sleeping in, cooking something or getting pizza and wings watching it on TV is so enjoyable now.

I will say though, nothing like making that walk to the gates and getting in just before the game starts. I went to a concert there this year, I was excited, and it was a great show, but it just felt off.

I went to my first game in a few years last season(Raiders) and there is no re-entry. Awful for a smoker.

Is that a relatively new policy? Kind of off topic and yes, smoking is bad for you, but that sucked!

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I went to my first game in a few years last season(Raiders) and there is no re-entry. Awful for a smoker.

Is that a relatively new policy? Kind of off topic and yes, smoking is bad for you, but that sucked!

Its always been the policy no re-entry .

Just now, Art in RTP said:

Its always been the policy no re-entry .

Ok. I hadn't been to a game since 99 and I didn't smoke back then.

I just found it odd because I'd been to a number of baseball and basketball games around the country and never had that issue.

Appreciate the response as it's a petty issue.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think it has been no re-entry for the last decade or so atleast? I've never really had a reason to leave and try to come back so I've never thought of it. I thought they had a designated area for smokers in the stadium. I don't smoke so I don't really pay attention to that, so now that you mention it I'm questioning if I saw that they got rid of those and eliminated smoking in the stadium altogether.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is admittedly off topic but kind of funny. Late 90's my friend got 4 seats down low behind home plate at Yankee Stadium. The other 3 went for a smoke and dismissed me when I said they probably couldn't smoke in the stadium. When they were approached by a security dude telling them they couldn't smoke where they were, they asked (flippantly) where they could. Security dude opened a gate and told them they could smoke out there. My brain surgeon friends didn't figure out they'd been ejected until they tried to get back in. 

As to OP and why you should go to a home game? Seems simple to me. You've been on a weeks long crusade about how awesome this years offense is so why would you pass up an opportunity to see it in person?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1