When $90M isn't really $90M...

On 11/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

The intelligent & rational among us will soon realize that Free Agency might as well be seen as irrelevant moving forward. McD's ineptitude and arrogance has set this team back 5-8 years, at least.

Dude I 100% agree with you but when people preemptively attack on their OP, their point gets over shadowed.

We got to be on the same page (WOTHOUT ALIENATING SOME  THAT MAAAY BE SUGGESTIBLE THAT JUST GOT CALLED IDIOTS hahahaha) that this CAP money.. a) nobody understands fully, b) it's still a MARKET and no matter how much we have there are 31 teams on aggregate with a million to spend. Just cause we have more money than most, doesn't mean we're competing against one other team that can't swing it around like we can. We're competing with the NFL, meaning a cap strung Rams could spend all their money on a marquee guy we want.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

How much of that do you let McD spend? That's the question. We're talking about a coach that is very much on the hot seat, could be gone midyear if our offense keeps sputtering. Do you really want to let this guy sign huge free agents when the next coach may not even want them?

Seriously?  If the Pegula's or management hamstring him that bad nobody worth bringing in in terms of coach or GM will ever want to come here.  What is done is done with all the mercurial moods of Ralph over the years and the Pegula's being a little wet behind the years but you have to show future prospective employees that they will get a chance to prove themselves.  Do you think that even with the flaws of Rex and the moodiness of Marrone that somebody is aching to come here when coaches on average are lasting less than 3 years.  It's painful but we have to break the cycle of the coaching carousel.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:02 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

If only there was some facts, reason, or logic in your post...but since there isn’t, I will move on

Don’t make him mad! Apparently he’s in charge of who is intelligent and rational, and YOU might find yourself on the outside looking in! 

There may be a slight premium, because we are not great and we are not LA or Miami, but for the most part it’s all about the dollars, and we do have a lot of dollars! Sure can’t hurt. Beats NOT having a lot of dollars! 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

How much of that do you let McD spend? That's the question. We're talking about a coach that is very much on the hot seat, could be gone midyear if our offense keeps sputtering. Do you really want to let this guy sign huge free agents when the next coach may not even want them?

Your assuming he is on the hotseat.....I dont think he is

I think the Pegula's are all in on McD and Beane and they have the total green light to not win this season and I think they have all of Pegula's wallet next offseason.

What I DONT want to see is putting out big contracts for marginal players......fair contracts to players that actually fit the scheme of what we are trying to do.......Offensive Linemen that can not only get off the ball and hit ppl on running plays but can also move their feet and get out on screens.......a WR that can actually get behind a defense AND catch a friggen ball.......wide receivers that will catch contested balls AND BLOCK DOWNFIELD (god I miss Robert Woods)

If you had THESE THINGS this offense would look entirely different

• Like (+1) 2

I think they probably already have their eye on some guys that are under the radar a bit.  Guys like Poyer.  I had never heard of him but he came in and is a solid contributor.

I hope they play Teller and Boettiger to see if  they can be guys next year.  Get a starting C to stabilize things; I'd overpay for that.  I think they need 3 new linemen next year.

Then WR or TE.  

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its interesting that you brought that up....that is exactly what we need to avoid

I just hope I don’t see that repeated. I’m worried we might see some pathetic reaches in FA at this point. I dunno....

Just now, Maynard said:

I just hope I don’t see that repeated. I’m worried we might see some pathetic reaches in FA at this point. I dunno....

I am hoping we do not do that.....there is some quality offensive linemen that are going to be free agents especially at guard with Saffold and at center....that is where we need to be concentrating.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, Peter said:

... and wanting to pay NYS income taxes.

Players pay taxes for the states they play in. A Bills player only pays NYS taxes for 8 games. California has the highest income tax rate which doesn't seem to been a problem for the Rams or Chargers.

Edited by RememberTheRockpile

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, twoandfourteen said:

I hear a lot of the #TeamProcess guys touting how much cap space McD & Beane created & will have available to them to "rebuild" the offense. Apparently that is supposed to serve as evidence that these guys know what they are doing. 

Do you McBeaners really think ANY free agent of any offensive worth will willingly come here for the going market rate?

Yeah, we do. Clearly it's you who don't.

The 0-16 Browns got some good players to come in FA in the offseason after that without overpaying.

We will too.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Its interesting that you brought that up....that is exactly what we need to avoid

Yup, good point. Every team every year has to avoid bad decisions - as much as possible, anyway - in FA and the draft.

Having a lot of cap room doesn't mean it will be used well. Fair enough.

Although I always bridle a bit when people mention Walker as a bad pickup. He wasn't. He was a good pickup, used badly. They brought him in as an RT and he was playing very well indeed at RT. Then the results of not signing Jason Peters or anyone capable at LT hit and they switched Walker to LT. And that was never going to work. Walker was huge and didn't have very good feet. At RT that was OK but at LT he simply wasn't athletic enough and he failed.

Wasn't his fault the Bills played him at the wrong position.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

You let him spend as much of it as he wants.

The fact that you want him on the hot seat doesn't mean that's where he is. The Pegulas knew a horrible year was likely while many people were able to avoid that understanding and are now shocked.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, we do. Clearly it's you who don't.

The 0-16 Browns got some good players to come in FA in the offseason after that without overpaying.

We will too.

Yup, good point. Every team every year has to avoid bad decisions - as much as possible, anyway - in FA and the draft.

Having a lot of cap room doesn't mean it will be used well. Fair enough.

Although I always bridle a bit when people mention Walker as a bad pickup. He wasn't. He was a good pickup, used badly. They brought him in as an RT and he was playing very well indeed at RT. Then the results of not signing Jason Peters or anyone capable at LT hit and they switched Walker to LT. And that was never going to work. Walker was huge and didn't have very good feet. At RT that was OK but at LT he simply wasn't athletic enough and he failed.

Wasn't his fault the Bills played him at the wrong position.

More so Dockery.....who seemed to be good for the skins but came here and was an absolutely horror show

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

More so Dockery.....who seemed to be good for the skins but came here and was an absolutely horror show

Yup. He was awful here. And better again back in Washington afterwards. He appeared to really miss Washington and pined away here. That was a bizarre situation.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, Peter said:

We had to basically kidnap and then overpay Mario a few years back when we were not as much of an embarrassment around the league as we are now.  

From your lips to the quality FA's agents' bank accounts.

Mario isn't the kind of guy they're going to want to sign. He was maybe the #1 FA available that year. This FO have made it pretty clear that they want to build through the draft, get their core players there, and fill in holes with low- and mid-priced FAs and re-sign our own guys.

Look at how Carolina handled FAs while Beane and McDermott were there. There were no Marios signed. Some good players but the Panthers weren't chasing the high-priced guys. Expect more of the same.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, Luka said:

That's technically false. With that much cap space, we can make up for the fact that we might have to pay the tax and still get the guys we're after. This is an extremely young team, the free agents we'll be targeting will be mostly offensive line and wide receiver. And wide out is the only one of those two positions where we'll be paying a premium anyways. Don't expect every penny to be spent. "The Process" is clearly based on building through the draft and attempting to add quality free agents where applicable.

These guys need to develop a sense of urgency.

Edited by reddogblitz

It happens every year in free agency. Most of these guys let their agents handle it and their agents care about money far more than anything else.

But this argument will not be settled till it actually happens.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:30 PM, Peter said:

I suspect that McBeane are going to have to overpay to replace those guys that they thought were overpaid.

Bingo!

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Your assuming he is on the hotseat.....I dont think he is

I think the Pegula's are all in on McD and Beane and they have the total green light to not win this season and I think they have all of Pegula's wallet next offseason.

What I DONT want to see is putting out big contracts for marginal players......fair contracts to players that actually fit the scheme of what we are trying to do.......Offensive Linemen that can not only get off the ball and hit ppl on running plays but can also move their feet and get out on screens.......a WR that can actually get behind a defense AND catch a friggen ball.......wide receivers that will catch contested balls AND BLOCK DOWNFIELD (god I miss Robert Woods)

If you had THESE THINGS this offense would look entirely different

The green light to not win. Finally some honesty.

10 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Players pay taxes for the states they play in. A Bills player only pays NYS taxes for 8 games. California has the highest income tax rate which doesn't seem to been a problem for the Rams or Chargers.

and a player is guarantied at least half his home games tax free when playing for a Florida team by way of example.  It is a huge advantage for teams in states such as Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

and a player is guarantied at least half his home games tax free when playing for a Florida team by way of example.  It is a huge advantage for teams in states such as Florida.

Same as Texas and Tennessee. Those teams not only have their 8 home games but division games in similar tax friendly states. 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not sure what you mean by that....this has been my stance on this season for a while

I am just glad you called it what it is. Lose, Suck for Luck, Tank, Play Dead, Give up, Throw in the towel. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

that is where I am at....but knowing our luck our schedule gets easier and we start winning games

Yeah that would suck. Beat the Fish and Jest, throw in another one or two and 7-9 all over again. 

On 11/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

I hear a lot of the #TeamProcess guys touting how much cap space McD & Beane created & will have available to them to "rebuild" the offense. Apparently that is supposed to serve as evidence that these guys know what they are doing. 

Do you McBeaners really think ANY free agent of any offensive worth will willingly come here for the going market rate? Do you have any idea just how much you're going to have to overpay to even get one of those guys to return your call? 

There is going to be a MASSIVE tax on Free Agent signings for the Bills during the next offseason. That $90M is going to go pretty quick on the marginal-to-mediocre talent that will inevitably sign here. Not to mention that they are only going to bring in guys that know their Scripture passages as well as they know their playbook, so the talent pool is limited to begin with. 

The intelligent & rational among us will soon realize that Free Agency might as well be seen as irrelevant moving forward. McD's ineptitude and arrogance has set this team back 5-8 years, at least.

Speaking of arrogance.....you make a number of un-supported claims and assumptions. and made up the "MASSIVE tax". ...can you quantify that? We will see how free agency turns out. You might be under-estimating the value of the culture the Bills are building,and it might prove more attractive than you think. Beane likely will NOT over-pay and I expect them to mostly avoid higher-priced FA's, instead, focusing on building depth across the roster.  Beane lkes to build thru the draft and retain best own free agents when possible

On 11/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, twoandfourteen said:

So you don't think that the Bills will have any problem signing quality FAs?

it is subjective,but what is YOUR definition  of  "quality".  'Value" is more important,and there is a significant difference.

Edited by Pablocruise
spelling