Official Christmas Thread!

It's been 13+ years since we moved down here and I gotta say that it still messes with my head when Christmas and summer approaches at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love it, but it's still weird.

Our Christmas brings in the beginning of summer kinda like how Memorial Day is in the US.

Barbeque, Beaches, Beer and 3 weeks off!

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Lexus has already started with the "we're rich how can we rub it in your face" commercials.  

Yep.  Mercedes Benz, too.  Saw a couple of "Winter sales event" commercials during SNF.  Seems to get earlier every year; soon Christmas stuff will come out on Labor Day.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

We may joke about it BUT having Thanksgiving in October makes a lot of sense.  Think of all the travel issues we would avoid if the holiday was far away from the end of November?

It's important to give Thanks, but it could be done at an earlier date.

That's true. It's much cheaper to fly and stay in October than late November.  Non peak is always best.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, Bad Things said:

It's been 13+ years since we moved down here and I gotta say that it still messes with my head when Christmas and summer approaches at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love it, but it's still weird.

Our Christmas brings in the beginning of summer kinda like how Memorial Day is in the US.

Barbeque, Beaches, Beer and 3 weeks off!

I used to go to Hawaii for 2 weeks at Christmas time every other year.   I miss TWA.

It was certainly different and I certainly did not miss the snow but Santa in a grass skirt was weird.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:51 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Who do we report things to when a mod posts something inappropriate? 

So self report.  Just report your own posts.

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

That's true. It's much cheaper to fly and stay in October than late November.  Non peak is always best.

It is cheaper because there is no holiday.  If you move the holiday you will just move the surge.

My wife, who is high school cafeteria manager, got good news.  Principal said he does not care if they do not have the Thanksgiving lunch and she can run the normal menu.  The Thanksgiving lunch is always a loss for the cafeteria but like the post office they have to take losses to make customers happy.  Thanksgiving lunch is great for elementary schools since parents come to eat with children and help with serving but no parents visit high school Thanksgiving lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

Dragging this back towards the top, is anyone else experiencing that coincidence where one certain holiday song seems to continually dominate your airspace?  This year for me it's that clunker by the Beach Boys 'Little St. Nick'.  Maybe once a week I could handle it, but every store I was in today (3) had that on the speakers, whether canned or just on a radio station.  I'm now hoping the Beach Boys get run over by a reindeer.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Dragging this back towards the top, is anyone else experiencing that coincidence where one certain holiday song seems to continually dominate your airspace?  

Baby it’s cold outside. Not because of the controversy. I’ve got Sirius and was listening to one of the holiday stations the other day. They played it, then played some other song, then played BICO by another artist. And other times, if I’m in the car more than 20 minutes, it seems like I’ll hear it at least once.