Do the Bills sit as one of the most pathetic sports franchises ever?

BuffaloBill

Look I know the topic is likely to prompt a lot of emotion but it it is a legitimate question.  

No doubt the Bills have had a few good years. However, even in the Kelly “dynasty” the loss of four consecutive SB’s hangs over the luster of all else accomplished in that period.  There was also the early AFL days, prior to the merger and SB, where the Bills had some very good teams.  Outside of these two eras there are a range of results with not many years being considered good or excellent.

What are your thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Look I know the topic is likely to prompt a lot of emotion but it it is a legitimate question.  

No doubt the Bills have had a few good years. However, even in the Kelly “dynasty” the loss of four consecutive SB’s hangs over the luster of all else accomplished in that period.  There was also the early AFL days, prior to the merger and SB, where the Bills had some very good teams.  Outside of these two eras there are a range of results with not many years being considered good or excellent.

What are your thoughts?

atlanta falcons,cleveland browns,detroit lions,new york jets,san diego chargers,cincinnati bengals,houston oilers, tampa bay buccaneers, miami dolphins.......ALL strong competitors

Edited by Tcali

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

My thoughts are why? 

Are you trying to make yourself miserable? 

If they were, what would it matter?

Would you stop being a fan? 

Is it just fun to complain? 

With respect, i just dont get it..

This is a discussion board is it not?  

No need to make the topic personal as it is a legitimate question.  There are franchises that have clearly done much better, should we not aspire to what they have achieved?

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Go smash your testicles with a roofing hammer.  That will give you some perspective on misery and what’s important in life ?

A little dramatic, no?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A tad, perhaps.  Just trying to add some humor to yet another dreary thread.  If you can’t except that...I don’t know what I can offer you ?‍♂️

Got it, though I did almost try out your suggestion upon seeing the rerun of the pick six last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is a discussion board is it not?  

No need to make the topic personal as it is a legitimate question.  There are franchises that have clearly done much better, should we not aspire to what they have achieved?

A little dramatic, no?

Theres nothing personal about it.

It is, indeed, a discussion board.

That said, so what if they are?

Is there not already enough discussion in the way misery relates to this team?

Does it really need to be spelled out further?

It just seems like if you see a dumpster fire - you know its a dumpster fire. 

To then discuss what color that flames are and how hot it is just seems to be pointless. 

Maybe its fun to add fuel to it?

There is not a right answer, only mad fans. 

You wont get a logical well thought out answer. 

Mad fans give mad answers

Mr Hammersticks was right. 

It gets old, tiring and redundant. 

If you are simply looking for conversation, there seems to already be quite a bit to partake in imo

Edited by gobills1212

The op said  "one of the most pathetic sports franchises ever" so that could be a lot of different sports all over the world... so my answer would be no. 

Surely there is a cricket franchise somewhere's who hasn't done anything lol.

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Theres nothing personal about it.

It is, indeed, a discussion board.

That said, so what if they are?

Is there not already enough discussion in the way misery relates to this team?

Does it really need to be spelled out further?

It just seems like if you see a dumpster fire - you know its a dumpster fire. 

To then discuss what color that flames are and how hot it is just seems to be pointless. 

Maybe its fun to add fuel to it?

There is not a right answer, only mad fans. 

You wont get a logical well thought out answer. 

Mad fans give mad answers

Mr Hammersticks was right. 

It gets old, tiring and redundant. 

If you are simply looking for conversation, there seems to already be quite a bit to partake in imo

So, should I have asked are the Bills a dumpster fire?  If I do it ignores the fact that the Bills have had very successful teams and eras.  It discounts that history along with the comparison to other sports franchises.  

The question calls for thoughts and ideas relevant to all of these factors.

Is there an element of misery in the question, yes.  It’s very appropriate given the results of the team.   

The Detroit Lions have never been to a superbowl, we went to 4 straight. 

The Lions also caused two generational talents to retire early due to their incompetence. 

The Cleveland Browns coach won two games this year and that is a 1 game improvement over the last 2 years combined. 

Everyone take a deep breath. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People lack historical perspective when they ask questions like this. 

Teams more pathetic than the Bills:

Cleveland Browns (the new team). In 20 seasons they have 1 playoff appearance (a loss). Averaging just over 4 wins per season. The team that up and left their city has won multiple SB's in the new city. 

Detroit Lions. In the SB era they have exactly 1 playoff win, and were god awful in the Matt Millen era. 

Houston Texans/Jacksonville Jaguars have never made a superbowl. Both franchises had some pretty good seasons. 

The peak of the Kelly era with 4 straight superbowls puts the Bills well above any of those franchises IMO. And that's just football. 

Pittsburgh Steeler's of the 1960's, BTW Chuck Noll's first year 1 - 13; but first check out the 1960's. Noll got crucified his first two years then went on to build a dynasty; but I know you want raw emotion and anger based on I want it now! Me, still waiting until the end of 2019 before I pounce!

Just now, buffalobillswin said:

The Detroit Lions have never been to a superbowl, we went to 4 straight. 

The Lions also caused two generational talents to retire early due to their incompetence. 

The Cleveland Browns coach won two games this year and that is a 1 game improvement over the last 2 years combined. 

Everyone take a deep breath. 

Thanks, we needed adult input, today in temper tantrum day!

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

People lack historical perspective when they ask questions like this. 

Teams more pathetic than the Bills:

Cleveland Browns (the new team). In 20 seasons they have 1 playoff appearance (a loss). Averaging just over 4 wins per season. The team that up and left their city has won multiple SB's in the new city. 

Detroit Lions. In the SB era they have exactly 1 playoff win, and were god awful in the Matt Millen era. 

Houston Texans/Jacksonville Jaguars have never made a superbowl. Both franchises had some pretty good seasons. 

The peak of the Kelly era with 4 straight superbowls puts the Bills well above any of those franchises IMO. And that's just football. 

Great post, no matter how bad it seems to our lovable millennials, we have been through far worse; I am still hopeful and give it through 2019, the sky is not falling and no need for babbling and snot bubbles! 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

So, should I have asked are the Bills a dumpster fire?  If I do it ignores the fact that the Bills have had very successful teams and eras.  It discounts that history along with the comparison to other sports franchises.  

The question calls for thoughts and ideas relevant to all of these factors.

Is there an element of misery in the question, yes.  It’s very appropriate given the results of the team.   

I get it, i just think asking this after a Monday night loss will offer skewed responses and yet another oppertunity to express displeasure and frustration. As there is no right answer and is all opinion based the timing just seems odd. If you genuinely are just looking to discuss things, it seems like more of an offseason question when things are dead. 

Yes.

Look, I'm a Bills fan till the end.

I hate the Bills. I hate them for their incompetence. I hate them for the past 25 years. This is awful. If I could swap teams I would -- I wish I were capable of it. 

I really care about this team. It negatively effects me when they're like this. I'm 34. I've been a Bills fan since I was 5. I can't remember the glory days (where we never won a super bowl which makes the glory days pathetic). This has been awful. I cant remember the last time I thought the Bills were going to do anything but ***** the bed.  It's so embarrassing. I live out of state -- think I rock Bills gear? Hell no. Why? Because when I do people come up to me and are like 'dude, why do you like the Bills? They're awful.' 

I really wish I could un-be a Bills fan. This isn't fun. McDermott isn't the right coach but we'll have to roll with him next year, I just know it.  

BE happy we are not Tampa Bay fans.

255 wins

404 losses

387 pct

since its existence in 1976

The average is around .520

puts things into perspective

I would also like to add... IF we are not making the playoffs then why win? Kind of where we are at now yes?

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1