Hillary Clinton Was Careless With Information

Tiberius

The New York Times reported:

When President Trump calls old friends on one of his iPhones to gossip, gripe or solicit their latest take on how he is doing, American intelligence reports indicate that Chinese spies are often listening — and putting to use invaluable insights into how to best work the president and affect administration policy, current and former American officials said.

Mr. Trump’s aides have repeatedly warned him that his cellphone calls are not secure, and they have told him that Russian spies are routinely eavesdropping on the calls, as well. But aides say the voluble president, who has been pressured into using his secure White House landline more often these days, has still refused to give up his iPhones. White House officials say they can only hope he refrains from discussing classified information when he is on them.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

When President Trump calls old friends on one of his iPhones to gossip, gripe or solicit their latest take on how he is doing, American intelligence reports indicate that Chinese spies are often listening — and putting to use invaluable insights into how to best work the president and affect administration policy, current and former American officials said.

Mr. Trump’s aides have repeatedly warned him that his cellphone calls are not secure, and they have told him that Russian spies are routinely eavesdropping on the calls, as well. But aides say the voluble president, who has been pressured into using his secure White House landline more often these days, has still refused to give up his iPhones. White House officials say they can only hope he refrains from discussing classified information when he is on them.

Nah, he was working Jim Kirk's plan to fool the Romulans from "The Deadly Years."

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Nah, he was working Jim Kirk's plan to fool the Romulans from "The Deadly Years."

What what?? 

Now I have to look that up! 

As Kirk continues to age, he becomes increasingly forgetful, prompting Commodore Stocker to order Spock to convene a hearing, in which Kirk is found unfit to command.[1] With Spock also afflicted, Stocker assumes command,[2] and orders a direct course to Starbase 10, ignoring warnings that this will take the ship through the Romulan neutral zone.

Meanwhile, Kirk, McCoy, and Spock discuss Chekov's immunity to the affliction. Remembering Chekov's fright at the discovery of the dead body, McCoy surmises that Chekov's increased adrenaline levels may have had some effect, and recalls that adrenaline had once shown promise as a treatment for radiation sickness. Mr. Spock and Dr. Wallace, assisted by Nurse Chapel, begin work on an adrenaline-based compound to test on the landing party.

As the Enterprise enters the neutral zone, Romulan vessels attack, ignoring all attempts at contact. Stocker, having no field command experience and paralyzed with indecision, considers surrendering, but is reminded that Romulans take no prisoners. In sickbay, Spock announces that the drug is ready, warning that it may kill as well as cure. Kirk insists on taking the first injection. The drug reverses the aging effect, and Kirk races to the bridge to relieve Stocker.

Kirk bluffs the Romulans by sending a message to Starfleet Command warning that the Enterprise will self-destruct using the "corbomite device", which will also destroy any nearby ships. The Romulans withdraw, and Kirk orders an immediate retreat at Warp 8. The rest of the landing party are treated and revert to normal.

Yes!!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You're confusing your episodes.  "The Deadly Years" is when Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all age rapidly.    "The Enterprise Incident" is when they fool the Romulans.

86d5200a29809e732f5b4371def3322ad6ab9099

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, DC Tom said:

You're confusing your episodes.  "The Deadly Years" is when Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all age rapidly.    "The Enterprise Incident" is when they fool the Romulans.

86d5200a29809e732f5b4371def3322ad6ab9099

No, you would realize where I was going if you had seen the episode.  But to keep Tiberius in suspense I will not say anything other than Corbomite.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

No, you would realize where I was going if you had seen the episode.  But to keep Tiberius in suspense I will not say anything other than Corbomite.

Actually, I knew you were going with that.  "Help Kirk fool the Romulans...ohhhhhhh, he's talking about the 'Drink. This is Tranya!' episode!"  

It actually scares me more than a little that I twigged to that...  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Tibs, love ya man but com'on...the title is deliberately obtuse in that it has nothing to do with the OP and is just plain deceiving. 

The one where they steal the cloaking device is kind of lame. 

I was actually thinking the other day, for some reason, about the episode where they are going to blow up the Enterprise before a strange alien power that can't find the info in the Enterprise computer, but Kirk is bluffing. 

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Tibs, love ya man but com'on...the title is deliberately obtuse in that it has nothing to do with the OP and is just plain deceiving. 

It's suppose to highlight the hypocrisy of the lock her up nonsense over her sending emails  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

You're not from around these parts, are you?

Is he a Klingon? tee hee 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

It's suppose to highlight the hypocrisy of the lock her up nonsense over her sending emails  

Yeah, people are idiots.  As a classifying authority, Secretary of State has very broad powers to declassify information, which means the bar for criminal mishandling of classified info is extremely high.  Pretty much only the President has superseding authority - his is unfettered.  

But withholding information from Congress...THAT, she should be locked up for.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, people are idiots.  As a classifying authority, Secretary of State has very broad powers to declassify information, which means the bar for criminal mishandling of classified info is extremely high.  Pretty much only the President has superseding authority - his is unfettered.  

So you think Trump should testify under oath before Mueller or grand jury then. 

42 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

What are the limits on SoS declassification powers?

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What are the limits on SoS declassification powers?

I'm honestly not entirely sure.  They're embodied in an EO at the beginning of a presidential term, as far as I know.  Last time I checked them, they were pretty ambiguous.  I think there's a convention that you shouldn't declassify others' classified info...but c'mon, these people, honor convention?  :lol:

20 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm honestly not entirely sure.  They're embodied in an EO at the beginning of a presidential term, as far as I know.  Last time I checked them, they were pretty ambiguous.  I think there's a convention that you shouldn't declassify others' classified info...but c'mon, these people, honor convention?  :lol:

Would a SoS be empowered to secretly declassify, or disseminate classified information, specifically military or intelligence community technology, to enemy states?

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Would a SoS be empowered to secretly declassify, or disseminate classified information, specifically military or intelligence community technology, to enemy states?

Maybe.  Theoretically...no.  As a practical matter?  A Secretary would have the authority to declassify anything generated by their department...but that becomes really fuzzy with cross-department information (e.g. something developed by a joint task force), because derivative classification rules come in to play, and those are really screwed up.  State has a set of rules that essentially boil down to "We produce original documents from multiple sources, so we can decide for ourselves."

So...yes, pretty much.  State, Energy (because they own the nukes), Justice, and DoD are about equal in power, and only the VP and President are above them.  DNI is somewhere between the two - he has the authority to declassify anything and everything, but by EO he's required to follow a process.  Departments define their own processes - but because State has fingers in everyone's pies, the Secretary of State can exert wide de facto declassification authority. 

It's a side-effect of the post-9/11 information sharing efforts.  You want to share info, you have to make ownership and classification a shared process, which will have grey areas to be abused by mendacious fascist harpies.  You want to secure info, you end up siloing the info so no one can share it.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Yea, well that side does seem to be getting increasingly desperate.

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The one where they steal the cloaking device is kind of lame. 

I was actually thinking the other day, for some reason, about the episode where they are going to blow up the Enterprise before a strange alien power that can't find the info in the Enterprise computer, but Kirk is bluffing. 

Nobody here believes that.

• Haha (+1) 2

Tiberius, as a former government employee, I can attest that we were briefed frequently and thoroughly on Internet things-n-stuff. 

Hillary knew she was breaking the law and she didn’t do it out of ignorance. She did it willfully to hide her schedule and other things. 

Now, is Trump stupid for doing what he’s doing? Absolutely. But that doesn’t exonerate Hilldawg. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

One would think that you would post this in its own thread.  It does not inspire confidence that you post it in a thread about being careless with information.  Freudian slip on your part?

Nope, just didn’t want to start a new thread. 

The women hurt by a dictator in a democratic election is perfect for the UN and it’s mission to spread democracy 

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Yup, a victim of dictatorship going to promote democracy 

Oh, I was thinking more like a do-nothing figurehead job to make her feel important.  She can rub elbows with the global elite, like she likes to do, and -- extra bonus -- she can commute from her house.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Oh, I was thinking more like a do-nothing figurehead job to make her feel important.  She can rub elbows with the global elite, like she likes to do, and -- extra bonus -- she can commute from her house.

Good points. It's important for expanding democratic values and institutions that a women is put in that position by the country that claims to be a City Upon a Hill. Nikki Haley did a good job I thought 

20 hours ago, Tiberius said:

That's how they control you. Lies, lies and more lies. 

Hillary was very pro-democracy. That's why you hate her. You fear democracy 

Was that why her campaign paid for purposeful disinformation in the form of the Steele Dossier?  She just loves her some democracy. 

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

Was that why her campaign paid for purposeful disinformation in the form of the Steele Dossier?  She just loves her some democracy. 

Opposition research? Wait, you are a Trump supporter complaint about misinformation? Seriously?