The Next Hot Head Coach Candidate? - Eight Names to Watch

I read the thread title, but still had to read a few comments to see if they wanted a 'hot head' coach (the guy who screamed at you in high school  and wouldn't let you have water at football practice), or a coach avidly looked at for promotion to a head coach position.  ?

23 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'd give Riley 100 mil right now to be an offensive consultant.  Riley is my hope and dream for HC. Get him a decent DC lol

Did you win the Mega Millions $1.6B? You are my favorite poster. I have a little enterprise I want to invest in (I call it my retirement, but you can call it anything you want....) and I think we should talk. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't get that either. Their offense cannot run the ball at all despite having good backs and (albeit the injury is limiting Mariota) is sporadic in the passing game.

Maybe it’s a way of making change, while still retaining continuity? 

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Jerry Jones fires his clapping carrot Lincoln Riley seems a good bet to takeover the Cowboys 

Maybe...I also think it's possible that Jerry would promote Kris Richard.

Not only is he a "hot" candidate, but Jerry loves to promote from within.  Since he's owned the team in 1989, the 'boys have had 7 head coaches, 3 of which have been promotions from within.

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe...I also think it's possible that Jerry would promote Kris Richard.

Not only is he a "hot" candidate, but Jerry loves to promote from within.  Since he's owned the team in 1989, the 'boys have had 7 head coaches, 3 of which have been promotions from within.

I almost like the idea of bringing in Garrett at OC to replace Daboll - not that Daboll is going anywhere.

But I'm just of the opinion that most failed HCs make great longterm OC/DC hires after the fact. Chalk it up to something along the lines of something to prove, no one will hire them as HC again so they're less likely to leave an organization barring HC replacement, and most were first hired as HCs for having great OC/DC track records. Examples like Schwartz and Wade Phillips come to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Unpopular Opinions: Saban, Jim Harbaugh Deserve NFL Redux

By Adam Rank, NFL.com Writer

In this space, I articulate positions that are the opposite of what most people think -- unpopular opinions, if you will -- and explain why, well, my unpopular opinions are right and everyone else is wrong. Here is my take on some good coaches who deserve another shot at NFL glory.

While I haven't completely changed my stance on retreads, I have softened a bit. And that got me thinking as to which coaches I'd most like to see get a second crack at running a team. Here's my list (not yours, so don't complain to me about guys I left off):

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I'd love to see the Packers go hard after Saban.  1) to get him out of Bama and make college football great again and 2) to see what he and Rodgers could do together.

Saban is a defensive coach. Regardless, I can't see him leaving with the huge money he makes with absolute control of the program.

I wonder if Kris Richard would be a candidate for USC.  They tend to stay inside the family and had great success hiring Carroll with a near exclusive NFL back ground.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Saban is a defensive coach. Regardless, I can't see him leaving with the huge money he makes with absolute control of the program.

Yes.  Put a real defensive coach with Rodgers and lock down that side of the ball.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wonder if Kris Richard would be a candidate for USC.  They tend to stay inside the family and had great success hiring Carroll with a near exclusive NFL back ground.

Yes.  Put a real defensive coach with Rodgers and lock down that side of the ball.

Looks like Pettine is doing a pretty good job up there.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...Saban leaving 'Bama makes as much sense as Jimbo Harbaugh leaving Michigan.....mega millions and campus deities......besides NEITHER has a salary cap to worry about....

• Like (+1) 1