Country Music Thread

I've been going through a bit of a country music phase the past year or so. I've always had a respect for some of the older stuff. Willie, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr, etc. I've always been a huge rock and roll fan, so had an understanding of the influence that Johnny and Hank had on the development in the early years of rock and roll. But about a year ago, I started reaching deeper into their catalog than just the hits everybody knows. Started getting into Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc.

I never really gave much credence to anything new, because every time I turned it onto the country station it was just some manufactured polished garbage. Essentially Nickelback with a slide guitar, and lyrics about tractors and small towns so it can be marketed as country. Turns out there's some really good stuff if you look past the radio stuff. Sturgil Simpson, Ryan Bingham, Chris Stapelton (even though he's been getting some mainstream success lately), Jamey Johnson, and Cody Jinks. It's all actually genuinely good music. Just wondering what, if any, country music people here listen to.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've been going through a bit of a country music phase the past year or so. I've always had a respect for some of the older stuff. Willie, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr, etc. I've always been a huge rock and roll fan, so had an understanding of the influence that Johnny and Hank had on the development in the early years of rock and roll. But about a year ago, I started reaching deeper into their catalog than just the hits everybody knows. Started getting into Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc.

I never really gave much credence to anything new, because every time I turned it onto the country station it was just some manufactured polished garbage. Essentially Nickelback with a slide guitar, and lyrics about tractors and small towns so it can be marketed as country. Turns out there's some really good stuff if you look past the radio stuff. Sturgil Simpson, Ryan Bingham, Chris Stapelton (even though he's been getting some mainstream success lately), Jamey Johnson, and Cody Jinks. It's all actually genuinely good music. Just wondering what, if any, country music people here listen to.

Johnny Cash

Patsy Cline

~Fin

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Johnny Cash

Patsy Cline

~Fin

Those are the two faves in our household, but don’t forget Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings,  Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, & Charley Pride.

The “new” stuff is mostly formulated trash. But to each their own.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The only artist that comes close to the old feel is Gary Allan and seeing him in person is worth it.  Miranda Lambert, oddly enough, has some throwback in her style.  But, anything of the last 15 years has been embarrassing.

Country music has changed. I was listening to Red Sovine yesterday that went in to David Allan Coe song (who I saw live this year) and was reminiscing how country music used to have a story and draw you in to relate.  Now it is pure ***** with hooks and a beat that are terrible. The only new artist I'd take a chance at liking is Brett Eldridge because he has some story in his *****.  But, dancing little ***** like the dude on the voice, Luke Bryant, Keith urban, rascal Flatts, all of it = pure *****.

Then you get the new phangled country throwback sound with a terrible guy like Chris Stapleton whose every song sounds like the last and you realize country music is dead.  Sturgil Simpson I saw live and was terrible, Jamey Johnson also saw live this year - both were not good. Jamey was better than Strugil. This spin on it isn't that good, IMO, and I'd as soon take a Bakersfield beat genre of country than their one size fits all melancholy tone.

And country is my favorite genre. Pre 2002, the prime country generation and prior are right up my alley. From Garth Brooks and Hal Ketchum to Bradley Kincaid and Ernest Tubb I love country music.

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I guess you are scared of pretty girls. 

All the smokes congregate at the Luke Bryan/Florida Ga line shows. 

I've been there, to a show. 8th row. Yes. You're right. But I can pull 10's without that effort