The Bills did some odd tinkering with the D vs Colts

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t see why people think this defense is good.. maybe I’m wrong but they either play well or give up 400+ yards and 30+ points regularly 

Ravens: 47

Chargers: 31

Vikings: 6

Packers: 22

Titans: 12

Texans: 20 (7 were the result of a defensive touchdown)

Colts: 37

The defense has given up 30+ points 3 out of 7 games. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seens like the game plan was bad and backfired. I’d be interested in hearing the reasons behind the tinkering though.

daboll’s knowledge and experience with the Pats should be helpful this week.

Helpful for whom?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Only 18 Lorax snaps... wonder if that’s normal.  guess he’s out in the Nickel? 

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t see why people think this defense is good.. maybe I’m wrong but they either play well or give up 400+ yards and 30+ points regularly 

Their stats are surprisingly good.   They're fourth in yards per game, even though the offense has serious trouble staying on the field. 

More amazing is that they're 16th in points per game, even though they've had games where the opponents seemed to be scoring in the NBA-range.  

51 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Ravens: 47

Chargers: 31

Vikings: 6

Packers: 22

Titans: 12

Texans: 20 (7 were the result of a defensive touchdown)

Colts: 37

The defense has given up 30+ points 3 out of 7 games. 

There you go again using facts!!!    B-)

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Nickel less, blitz more

It worked against Minnesota and Houston. 

I was working great in the 1st QTR too. 

then they stopped 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

When did the “tinkering” take place? I’d like to know when these players started seeing less snaps than usual. If it was when the game was out of hand, then it would make sense that certain, key players were taken off the field in favor of getting them some rest and other players some experience. 

Yeah, how was that not part of the article? It means a lot if it's early, it means zero if it's late. How is there not context here?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

Think about how much the defensive starters have been on the field this year with the horrible offence. Also consider that the Bills were well aware that they play the Pats at home on Monday and i'm sure they wanted to give their best players a little bit of a break.

I think this could be part of it. They weren’t going to win the game so he was getting vontae Johnson some reps and not overextending the DL

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seens like the game plan was bad and backfired. I’d be interested in hearing the reasons behind the tinkering though.

daboll’s knowledge and experience with the Pats should be helpful this week.

I would have to think they knew they needed to create some turnovers to have a chance to win the game.

It didn't work, but that would be my guess.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Their stats are surprisingly good.   They're fourth in yards per game, even though the offense has serious trouble staying on the field. 

More amazing is that they're 16th in points per game, even though they've had games where the opponents seemed to be scoring in the NBA-range.  

Don't you think you attribute some of that to our offense not scoring?

The Colts could have racked up 600+ yards if they needed to.

The defense is definitely feast or famine.

Just now, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Yeah, too me, that makes no friggin' sense. He's one of the reasons why the defense started getting better. Why limit him? Just as crazy as having Hughes drop in coverage.

He’s been really good this year. Only thing I can think of is matchups or the game was out of hand so they preserved him 

6 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

White and Hyde (both nicked coming in) were rested late in game opening the door for Dontae Johnson and Rafael Bush to get more snaps

I think that’s probably the right explanation, not knowing when they were and weren’t playing. I don’t plan to rewatch the game to find out that’s for sure. Once was more than enough :(

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

When did the “tinkering” take place? I’d like to know when these players started seeing less snaps than usual. If it was when the game was out of hand, then it would make sense that certain, key players were taken off the field in favor of getting them some rest and other players some experience. 

Makes tremendous sense to consider this context - would be nice to confirm. Either way, if they tinker during garbage time I'm fine with it. To be honest, the rest of the season is all but garbage time right now, so I'm more amenable to tinkering to see what works and what doesn't for given scenarios. Maybe even try new coverages/disguised coverage schemes. If our offense isn't going anywhere, might as well use the season to really find out what this D is made of, as well as develop our rookies on both sides of the ball.

Edited by ctk232