How Would We Be Doing if Russ Brandon Were Still Here?

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Would we be in this same shape had he stayed? I'm not by any means condoning his behavior, or disputing his firing. But would he have allowed the roster to even get to the point where Peterman and Derek Anderson are the only viable options at QB? Would he allow the dead cap space we have? 

Absolutely. He was president of the Bills when both were hired, and they had to be acceptable to him.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:21 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Would we be in this same shape had he stayed? I'm not by any means condoning his behavior, or disputing his firing. But would he have allowed the roster to even get to the point where Peterman and Derek Anderson are the only viable options at QB? Would he allow the dead cap space we have? 

Since Russ Brandon was the Bills head honcho when McDermott and then Beane were hired, why would expect anything to be any diffferent?  Since he was okay with how McDermott and Beane before he was fired -- with no indication he wasn't -- why would he not be okay with them if he hadn't been fired?   Winning was never Brandon's top priority; maximizing profits was.

FTR, Brandon didn't hire Rex Ryan and give him a virtual blank check to hire his relatives and pals.  That was the Pegulas who were reportedly "wowed" by Ryan during his interview.  McDermott was much more the kind of HC that Brandon liked to hire rather than the expensive, flamboyant Ryan.

They'd be the same. I'm not sure what his departure had to do with football decisions at this point in time....

Back in 06 or whatever sure, blame the hell out of Russ and Ralph.

I think that's just as interesting of a thread, if Ralph never died and owned the Bills for the rest of eternity, how would we be today?

Resurrect him and his creepy buddy Al Davis and sit them in a box. I bet the conversations would be better than the game.

Russ Brandon had the easiest job in the world- market the beloved buffalo bills. He didn’t have to do anything since almost all of us stook around through the d-word that should never be spoken of ever again.

it’s like he was selling dope to a bunch of addicts.

hes a prick, no idea what Ralph saw in that scumbag.

Coming from a Russ Brandon-hater, McDermott had essentially cut him out of the football department.  So he was little consequence.

However, If/when things go bad, I could see Brandon trying to turn the hot seat through leaks to the media and providing the Pegulas with that wine they really like.  

12 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

Ryan was a better hire than McDermott, from a marketing stand point and possibly a football stand point. We were in every game with Rexy, can't say the same now

Did you copy and paste my original post

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Russ Brandon had the easiest job in the world- market the beloved buffalo bills. He didn’t have to do anything since almost all of us stook around through the d-word that should never be spoken of ever again.

it’s like he was selling dope to a bunch of addicts.

hes a prick, no idea what Ralph saw in that scumbag.

Wilson probably saw $$$.  Before he was hired by the Bills, Brandon's claim to fame was his infamous dismantling of the World Champion Florida Marlins the season after the won the World Series.  Marlins went from one of the highest player payrolls in their championship to one of the lowest, which likely increase profitability since player salaries are obviously the major component in the team budget. 

The Marlins also went from World Champions to the worst record in MLB, but winning was never Wilson's top priority, so Brandon was perfect.    

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Coming from a Russ Brandon-hater, McDermott had essentially cut him out of the football department.  So he was little consequence.

However, If/when things go bad, I could see Brandon trying to turn the hot seat through leaks to the media and providing the Pegulas with that wine they really like.  

McDermott didn't "cut him (Brandon) out of the football department".   Brandon was promoted to be in charge of both the Bills and the Sabres so he simply was much less involved with the football side.   Since Brandon was essentially the boss of every Bills employee until he was fired, there's no way one of those other Bills employees, even the Bills HC, could "cut him out".

Edited by SoTier