Canada celebrates legalization day

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And... How many gun deaths are directly caused by substance abuse!  There is a direct link.

How many gun deaths occur because a person just smoked a joint?  Not never.  Happy, sleepy, hungry.  That’s all.  Stop referring to smoking weed as “substance abuse.”  ?

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Gun deaths are tragic but do not occur at rate remotely close to that of substance abuse.

You are correct. In 2016 there were 37K firearms related deaths in the US, compared to 65K deaths from drug overdoses. (0 from pot, though.)

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

I find the article long and meandering.  Please summarize so as to get across what you feel is important.  I see mostly talk about health centers and treatment but not much about success rates.  Occurrence based on income profile?  I see both countries functioning at a rate not much above indoor plumbing and dragged into modern times by more successful Western nations.  I would be more impressed by a country that has legal drugs that could also put a person on Mars or invent warp drive.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I find the article long and meandering.  Please summarize so as to get across what you feel is important.  I see mostly talk about health centers and treatment but not much about success rates.  Occurrence based on income profile?  I see both countries functioning at a rate not much above indoor plumbing and dragged into modern times by more successful Western nations.  I would be more impressed by a country that has legal drugs that could also put a person on Mars or invent warp drive.

Treatment and care instead of incarcerating for one 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The gist of the Portuguese strategy was to decriminalize all drug use but maintain harsh penalties for distribution. The result was people more willing to seek medical help to deal with their drug use.

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Wow that was never a jail term offence up here only possession for trafficking say one ounce in 4 different baggies.

Even then it was more like a fine  but depending on your previous record.

More than two ounces but less than one-half of a pound: Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to two years in prison, or both. 

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Marijuana-Possession.htm

don't know how dated it is 

New York  - when I left in '97   it was this 

Up to 25 grams: New York has decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana (at least as far as first and second violations are involved). Violations are considered civil citations (similar to a traffic violation), which incur a fine, but no jail time. There is a fine of up to $100 for a first offense, and up to $200 for a second offense.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And... How many gun deaths are directly caused by substance abuse!  There is a direct link.

1. they are too lazy to get off the couch
  2. they are too stoned to see straight
  3. both hands are needed to hold - a lighter and or a joint , bong or bow

lol's 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How many gun deaths occur because a person just smoked a joint?  Not never.  Happy, sleepy, hungry.  That’s all.  Stop referring to smoking weed as “substance abuse.”  ?

I've always reference something like this wrt violence 

You see bar fights all the time .....  blood and broken bones.  

If you see 2 stoned people fight   .....  blood and broken bones are caused by accidents.    It's funny until someone gets hurt

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wow!  Tobacco is substance abuse.  Overeating is too.  Okay maybe overeating.  Just like putting a slow gun to Your head.

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I've always reference something like this wrt violence 

You see bar fights all the time .....  blood and broken bones.  

If you see 2 stoned people fight   .....  blood and broken bones are caused by accidents.    It's funny until someone gets hurt

We simply don't know.  It's not that prevalant and mainstream yet as is alcohol.

Also driving too slow is just as, if not more dangerous. WRT driving under the influence.  Indecision kills from a safety standpoint, and others around You.

What will be the threshold hold for driving and operating machinery?  What will be the in the field measuring device, systems for determining impairment?

What about accidental ingestion through edibles? Lacing of food?

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow!  Tobacco is substance abuse.  Overeating is too.  Okay maybe overeating.  Just like putting a slow gun to Your head.

We simply don't know.  It's not that prevalant and mainstream yet as is alcohol.

Also driving too slow is just as, if not more dangerous. WRT driving under the influence.  Indecision kills from a safety standpoint, and others around You.

What will be the threshold hold for driving and operating machinery?  What will be the in the field measuring device, systems for determining impairment?

Everything you brought up is an issue now. Nothing changes with legalization. So how do officials deal with it now? The same way they will deal with it after it's legal. So if the Earth isn't spinning off its axis now over pot, it probably won't later.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everything you brought up is an issue now. Nothing changes with legalization. So how do officials deal with it now? The same way they will deal with it after it's legal. So if the Earth isn't spinning off its axis now over pot, it probably won't later.

We simply don't know it won't spin off axis.  Have You looked out Your window at all the problems recently.

Let's wait till it goes mainstream.

I mean Hammersticks is saying all the teachers are high.  Yeah, that's a real shock.  Check out the educational wasteland and all the lazy educators carpetbagging for the best pay around.

The warts are starting to show.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We simply don't know it won't spin off axis.  Have You looked out Your window at all the problems recently.

I mean Hammersticks is saying all the teachers are high.  Yeah, that's a real shock.  Check out the educational wasteland and all the lazy educators carpetbagging for the best pay around.

You are making some huge leaps there.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Woah, buddy.  I'm not saying that teachers are toking up a fatty before school.  We're talking about responsible professionals who happen to take a puff or two at night while they're watching The Bachelor.  No more harmful than the person who has a couple glasses of Merlot.  I think your perception of educators may be a bit distorted based on your experiences/perspective.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Woah, buddy.  I'm not saying that teachers are toking up a fatty before school.  We're talking about responsible professionals who happen to take a puff or two at night while they're watching The Bachelor.  No more harmful than the person who has a couple glasses of Merlot.  I think your perception of educators may be a bit distorted based on your experiences/perspective.

They sure are... Distorted.

Many of them are grading tests @ home while sipping the merlot miles away in some far off town.

Now... I don't know what's better, a Stoner 20 something English teacher grading My daughter's essay while high or not.  You be the judge.  She is My daughter. ?

Probably better high.  Okay, "just chilling."

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

one of the professionals i know that is a very regular smoker is an oncology surgeon.  she walks around with a glass of wine at parties, but every so often she goes outside and takes a hit off a pen.  she just doesn't love drinking, and likes to avoid that hangover.  weed won't make this society crumble is alcohol already hasn't...and this is coming from someone who really enjoys drinking.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nooooo... Come visit Me in a Metropolitan area that has 10 million.

You wanna see Sh *tholes affected by reefer madness, alcohol, guns, and tobacco.  I can show You some real beauts. 

So you're saying the alcohol, tobacco and guns are fine, but add weed and now it's a problem?

Just now, teef said:

one of the professionals i know that is a very regular smoker is an oncology surgeon.  she walks around with a glass of wine at parties, but every so often she goes outside and takes a hit off a pen.  she just doesn't love drinking, and likes to avoid that hangover.  weed won't make this society crumble is alcohol already hasn't...and this is coming from someone who really enjoys drinking.

Great!  Malpractice insurance providers would love to know Her name!

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

So you're saying the alcohol, tobacco and guns are fine, but add weed and now it's a problem?

No.  Not at all!  Look at damage they cause legally.  Legalization is no silver bullet.

No.  Not at all!  Look at damage they cause legally.  Legalization is no silver bullet.

The point is anything in excess is a problem. There are alcoholics but millions still drink responsibly. I can't defend tobacco. But we let people smoke. Most gun owners are responsible but we let any dimwit own one, even a machine gun. Legal pot doesn't change its impact on society, other than right a wrong.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

exaggerate much?

you sure have brought a lot of drama to this thread.

Edited by no name

8 minutes ago, no name said:

exaggerate much?

you sure have brought a lot of drama to this thread.

No.  They are operating... Just as if they were a machine operator.  Now, you want operators with drama issues?  Needing to be chemically relaxed...

Pandora's Box.

Same with teachers.  They take their work home more.  Now, we will have educators working while under the influence.

Not exaggerating.  Not at all.  Welcome to brave new world.

Look... I am a liberal, I get it. If the masses want it, give it to them.

No.  They are operating... Just as if they were a machine operator.  Now, you want operators with drama issues?  Needing to be chemically relaxed...

Pandora's Box.

Same with teachers.  They take their work home more.  Now, we will have educators working while under the influence.

Not exaggerating.  Not at all.  Welcome to brave new world.

Look... I am a liberal, I get it. If the masses want it, give it to them.

I have to ask, do you drink alcoholic beverages?  Did allowing craft breweries and distilleries result in an epidemic of drunkenness? How do bosses deal with people drinking on the job? People can spark up and go to work now. Making it legal doesn't change the chances of that happening.

You keep bringing up pot as such an issue in the 'hood as if it's the sole reason people are such a mess. If someone could wave a magic wand and make pot vanish, all the problems you describe would still be there. People are a mess, not because they abuse substances, but because their circumstances lead them to abuse as an escape.  Substance abuse is a symptom, not a cause.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The point is anything in excess is a problem. There are alcoholics but millions still drink responsibly. I can't defend tobacco. But we let people smoke. Most gun owners are responsible but we let any dimwit own one, even a machine gun. Legal pot doesn't change its impact on society, other than right a wrong.

I understand your point.  I am for trying, but let's be real here.

Guns are a right.

Legal pot does change its impact on society.  Crutches that turn in wheelchairs.

Agree to disagree.  Discourage it.  Yet look the other way within reason.  Don't encourage it. 

The danger zone here as with other substances is around 30 years old and below.  How the hell do You keep it out of those hands, You don't.  The goal is to discourage, not encourage. Society still needs structure.

When I lived in WNY I had dope all the time. Over 20 years of driving and not once was I in an accident or dui.  

Speeding.  Well that’s a different story 

it comes down to the individual and their personal responsibilities imo. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to ask, do you drink alcoholic beverages?  Did allowing craft breweries and distilleries result in an epidemic of drunkenness? How do bosses deal with people drinking on the job? People can spark up and go to work now. Making it legal doesn't change the chances of that happening.

You keep bringing up pot as such an issue in the 'hood as if it's the sole reason people are such a mess. If someone could wave a magic wand and make pot vanish, all the problems you describe would still be there. People are a mess, not because they abuse substances, but because their circumstances lead them to abuse as an escape.  Substance abuse is a symptom, not a cause.

I know it can't vanish. I don't want it to.  I drink... I was ROY @ Tailgate Flip Cup.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

ex...i don't think you understand.  you can smoke and not effect work the same way you'd have a beer or two and go to work.  she doesn't get high before work, so i don't know why you think malpractice would be an issue.  she's one of the smartest women i've met, and would have her treat a family member in a second.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When I lived in WNY I had dope all the time. Over 20 years of driving and not once was I in an accident or dui.  

Speeding.  Well that’s a different story 

it comes down to the individual and their personal responsibilities imo. 

Great.  Another, my grandfather lived to 99 while smoking cigars, and eating a pound of bacon and 1/5 of whiskey every day.

I get.  People want it.  I am for giving it to them.  I will vote with You Guys...

Just be there when the consequences hit the fan as I will be there to eat crow if they don't.  And God knows, I hope I eat crow!

I get the pulse of the people. The older generation, Silent Generation is almost all dead. That's who I was raised by.  I am neither of a Boomer or Millennial (Am Xer). Go Figure.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

ex...i don't think you understand.  you can smoke and not effect work the same way you'd have a beer or two and go to work.  she doesn't get high before work, so i don't know why you think malpractice would be an issue.  she's one of the smartest women i've met, and would have her treat a family member in a second.

Yeah... She give herself enough time to wake properly and get mind right?

Glad She makes big bucks because that's probably the "escape velocity."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Great.  Another, my grandfather lived to 99 while smoking cigars, and eating a pound of bacon and 1/5 of whiskey every day.

I get.  People want it.  I am for giving it to them.  I will vote with You Guys...

Just be there when the consequences hit the fan as I will be there to eat crow if they don't.  And God knows, I hope I eat crow!

I get the pulse of the people. The older generation, Silent Generation is almost all dead. That's who I was raised by.  I am neither of a Boomer or Millennial (Am Xer). Go Figure.

Yeah... She give herself enough time to wake properly and get mind right?

Glad She makes big bucks because that's probably the "escape velocity."

i'm sure she does.  i'll smoke here and there, and it's never once effected me negatively.  i'm not saying what happens to me happens to everyone else, but i started when i was 15, and since then i've gone to college, grad school, post grad work, attending in a hospital, my own office, and in the next month, i'm breaking ground on a new building including a lab.  pot didn't deter this at all.  in some it may, in others it won't.  i keep my smoking quiet for such reasons as people thinking i can't do my job properly.  it's foolish, but that's the way some think.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm sure she does.  i'll smoke here and there, and it's never once effected me negatively.  i'm not saying what happens to me happens to everyone else, but i started when i was 15, and since then i've gone to college, grad school, post grad work, attending in a hospital, my own office, and in the next month, i'm breaking ground on a new building including a lab.  pot didn't deter this at all.  in some it may, in others it won't.  i keep my smoking quiet for such reasons as people thinking i can't do my job properly.  it's foolish, but that's the way some think.

Again. $$$$$ escaped the drawbacks?  Would You agree with this?

Being well compensated, some would say too over-compensated has to be a factor.

The Guy that wrecks his body for pennies would tend to abuse the drug more? Say struggling to pay bills, escapes a little deeper with even more people in her sphere exposed to an unsafe action.

How do You differentiate between the two.  Who do You test if You test at all.

Frankly, I don't want my cabbie or my oncologist needing to be self-medicated.  But that's just me.

10 minutes ago, Dante said:

I don't think most people get this. True though.

Oh, I get it.  Yet, the world needs order.  Chaos doesn't work.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Again. $$$$$ escaped the drawbacks?  Would You agree with this?

Being well compensated, some would say too over-compensated has to be a factor.

The Guy that wrecks his body for pennies would tend to abuse the drug more? Say struggling to pay bills, escapes a little deeper with even more people in her sphere exposed to an unsafe action.

How do You differentiate between the two.  Who do You test if You test at all.

Frankly, I don't want my cabbie or my oncologist needing to be self-medicated.  But that's just me.

well, if you don't want personnel in your life that doesn't smoke pot, drink beer, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, eats too much, etc, you might as well move to a deserted island.  you just don't like it when people "self medicate", and that fine, but if you think someone working on you at least hasn't had a glass of wine the night before, you're kidding yourself.  i drink and smoke to enjoy myself on occasion, and i don't make excuses because i don't have to.  i've lived my life how i've wanted, and have been successful while doing it.  legalization of anything won't change how i, or most people live.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nope. It's recreationally legal in:

Colorado

Washington

Oregon

California

Nevada

Alaska

Massachusetts

Maine

Vermont

District of Columbia

18 additional states allow medical use.

Wow your more than 1/2 way there.

11 minutes ago, teef said:

well, if you don't want personnel in your life that doesn't smoke pot, drink beer, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, eats too much, etc, you might as well move to a deserted island.  you just don't like it when people "self medicate", and that fine, but if you think someone working on you at least hasn't had a glass of wine the night before, you're kidding yourself.  i drink and smoke to enjoy myself on occasion, and i don't make excuses because i don't have to.  i've lived my life how i've wanted, and have been successful while doing it.  legalization of anything won't change how i, or most people live.

It's not always the same as a glass of wine.  It is for the elites.

I view as a personal weakness... Pot that is.  Not to say I have never partaken. I view tobacco as the same.  I don't view alcohol, there is some nutritional value.  Now edibles I could come around to.  But, then again, you are medicating food.  Why?

Are people really that stressed out.  Recreational now?  I can see medical purposes.  Pain, glaucoma, etc...  I find it shallow for recreational purposes more so than alcohol.

Maybe it's that alcoholism that I have been exposed to.  I am NOT a teetotaler or will I be a Weedtotaler.

People will invariably go over board and culture will have to shift back.

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The worst thing weed ever did to me was make me enjoy Sunny Delight.

Used to buy that fro my kids school lunches..

Florida or California ?  one was better than the other  and I liked it too

-----------

Who here that hasn't smoked pot liked Beevis and Butthead?      (a show you probably need to be stoned to watch) 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just because you didn't kill anyone, doesn't mean you're not an @#%& for risking it.

Currently, there is no way for an officer to test if a driver is currently high on Pot, but that can change soon. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/07/pot-breathalyzers-hound-labs-marijuana/912705002/

Edited by unbillievable

I think that is directed my way??? 

I'm 61.    I've been getting high (much less now cuz I don't have easy access - so 2 or 3 weeks out of 52) since I was 14, 15 years old.  

I have never had an issue with the law or any pathway addiction to harder drugs.    I did give up the LSD, mescaline, mushrooms and coke  by the late 80's.

My work sends Astronauts into space, supplies and science missions to the ISS and 3 of my designs have reached Pluto and the Kuiper belt.  

Zero Consequences. 

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Just because you didn't kill anyone, doesn't mean your not an @#%& for risking it.

Currently, there is no way for an officer to test if a driver is currently high on Pot, but that can change soon. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/07/pot-breathalyzers-hound-labs-marijuana/912705002/

Yet... People will crucify for texting and driving.  Stoned?  They can blame the drug, scapegoat they got impaired.

Sad... People need crutches gave "recreational" activity.

Again, not against it all.  Just too gratuitous, pot, that is.  Like alcohol and sports, people feel part of a group.

19 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Just because you didn't kill anyone, doesn't mean your not an @#%& for risking it.

spoken like a person with a stick ....  

Sorry that was childish of me.  

I chose to smoke a bowl over not drinking 6 beers and 3 or 4 shots then driving home 3 or 4 nights a weak.

I don't or haven't attacked you so you shouldn't attack me.  Calling me a ***** is wrong.  

How many accidents have you been in or caused?  to my ZERO

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I think that is directed my way??? 

I'm 61.    I've been getting high (much less now cuz I don't have easy access - so 2 or 3 weeks out of 52) since I was 14, 15 years old.  

I have never had an issue with the law or any pathway addiction to harder drugs.    I did give up the LSD, mescaline, mushrooms and coke  by the late 80's.

My work sends Astronauts into space, supplies and science missions to the ISS and 3 of my designs have reached Pluto and the Kuiper belt.  

Zero Consequences. 

You got lucky. Outlier.

Or... Very good at self-regulation.  Not many good @ that. Also came of age, educated during the dawning of the new tech.  That helps?

spoken like a person with a stick ....  

Sorry that was childish of me.  

I chose to smoke a bowl over not drinking 6 beers and 3 or 4 shots then driving home 3 or 4 nights a weak.

Lung cancer ever worry you?  Smoking that is.  Joint cough?

@ShadyBillsFan: Not directed @ You.  The above post that is.