Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

58 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

With all respect to your personal political opinion (no snark intended :beer: ) .... 

Trump's policies are more centralist democrat than anyone running for the DNC. He was a democrat for most of his life, and his policies reflect that thus far: no endless war, civil liberty protections, rolling back of the police state/draconian sentencing, et al. 

If you're looking for a centrist, you're not going to find it in any of the dems running. The party sold its soul to the pro-fascist wing and there's no going back.

Are you sure this is a democrat policy?  Viet Nam was ratcheted up by Kennedy and LBJ.  Many, many democrats voted for Iraq War.  Obama had 2  endless wars running during his 8 year presidency and he didn't get us out of either one of them.  Come to think of it, neither has Trump in 3+ years.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

This is a tough one for me.

I don't like Trump at all as a person, and I"m iffy on his policies.  I really do not want to see him there for another 4 years (like really, REALLY don't want it), but you know what?  There is a way I might be OK with it..and that if the other choice is Sanders.  A year ago I would have told you it was a certainty that I'd want any Democrat over Trump...but the more I hear of Sanders and what he/his supports want, I'm not so sure I'd take that plunge.

Basically, I want a centrist. Republican or Democrat...doesn't matter...whoever is closes to the center would be my choice. Trump is too extreme to the right for me (plus his personality..ugh).  But Sanders seems SO far left...if only given the choice of those two...I just may abstain from voting but in the back of my head 'accepting' Trump as the better of the two.

But Bernie is the only one telling you who they all are... every last one of them. 

22 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

You haven't looked into it at all, but the minute someone criticizes the mayor, youe first reaction is to post "The Swift Boating is officially under way."

This is why we refer to folks like you as NPCs. 

Think for yourself, not for your side.

Good point.

But, what is the big deal?  I have not heard him tell any stories of being in combat.  Unless I missed something.  He WAS in the Navy IN Afghanistan.  Are you saying that's not true?  So he got in without having to go to boot camp?  Is that his fault?  If you don't like it, complain to the Navy.

Where exactly has he misrepresented about his service? 

He's not Blumthal at least that I've heard.

If I'm wrong, please point it an instance of him lying about his military record.

16 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Are you sure this is a democrat policy?  Viet Nam was ratcheted up by Kennedy and LBJ.  Many, many democrats voted for Iraq War.  Obama had 2  endless wars running during his 8 year presidency and he didn't get us out of either one of them.  Come to think of it, neither has Trump in 3+ years.

Trump is on the verge of ending the Afghanistan war, tried to end the Korean War - which is still technically ongoing, refused to get sucked into the war in Syria, and has a stunning Middle East peace proposal on the table. 

worst war monger ever. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Trump is on the verge of ending the Afghanistan war, tried to end the Korean War - which is still technically ongoing, refused to get sucked into the war in Syria, and has a stunning Middle East peace proposal on the table. 

worst war monger ever. 

Has he ended Iraq or Afghanistan yet?  What does "on the verge" of ending Afghanistan mean?  Are there still troops there?

I'll give him credit for ending the Afghanistan War when it's over during his term(s).  Same goes for Korea.  Until then, we still have 2 endless wars and Korea going on on his watch.

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Has he ended Iraq or Afghanistan yet?  What does "on the verge" of ending Afghanistan mean?  Are there still troops there?

I'll give him credit for ending the Afghanistan War when it's over during his term(s).  Same goes for Korea.  Until then, we still have 2 endless wars and Korea going on on his watch.

You haven’t heard that he’s signed off on a peace treaty with the Taliban?  Seriously?

We’ll Korea was on Truman’s, Eisenhower’s, Kennedy’s, Johnson’s, Nixon’s, Ford’s, Carter’s GHW Bush’s, Clinton’s, GW’s, Obama’s collective watches.  Trump is the first and ONLY POTUS to attempt to end that scurrilous state of war. 

He’s done more to isolate Iran and their  hegemony in the ME than ANY POTUS. And he’s doing it without back door deals with pallets of TRILLIONS in unmarked bills shipped in CIA unmarked planes to the Ayatollah. 

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Nanker said:

You haven’t heard that he’s signed off on a peace treaty with the Taliban?  Seriously?

Doesn't that depend on the Taliban not being violent for a whole week which hasn't happened yet?  I hope it works.

Didn't he also have deal between Palestine and Israel last month?

Never confuse effort with results.

Not sure why you're coming after me as some NeverTrumper snowflake or something.  My post was questioning DR's comment that no endless wars was a D strategy.  However, the fact remains that that the 2 endless wars Trump inherited have continued to 3+ years under Trump. I hope he does end them, but so far has not.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We have troops in Germany. Are we still at war with them?

We have troops in Japan too.  I know, I was one.

But Korea is still considered to be on what with our troops stationed a couple of miles from theirs.  It IS the most militarized border in the world and no one has of yet surrendered or agreed to leave.

As far as Japan and Germany go, they surrendered.  WW II is officially over.  Korea not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Good point.

But, what is the big deal?

The only deal I was referencing was your need to quickly attack the right for doing something (swift boating), and then admitting you don't really know what you're talking about because -- in your own words -- you haven't looked into it at all.

My point had nothing to do with Mayor Pete and everything to do with pointing out how you, along with most of the other leftist posters here, typically repeat what you read or hear instead of taking a moment to think for yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We have troops in Japan too.  I know, I was one.

But Korea is still considered to be on what with our troops stationed a couple of miles from theirs.  It IS the most militarized border in the world and no one has of yet surrendered or agreed to leave.

As far as Japan and Germany go, they surrendered.  WW II is officially over.  Korea not so much.

Obviously but is it really a war if no one is shooting and no one is dying?

6 hours ago, Nanker said:

worst war monger ever. 

That's reality, the alternate psycho left reality is Trump is responsible for millions of deaths.

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Neither did Obama as they apparently put you in a room and give you the reality once you take the oath of office unfortunately.  The experts were right in that negotiating with North Korea is a fruitless exercise and Trump proved that.  At least he withdrew troops from northern Syria despite criticism from almost everybody so credit where credit's due on that one.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

We have troops in Japan because we are bound by treaty to defend them.

What a bunch of suckers we are. Seventy years ago we defeated them in a war that cost us mightily in blood and treasure and then we bound ourselves to defend them ... forever.