Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

Say we do trade Shady, which I have already said I would not. But IF we do, what does this say to the rest of the team? I don't see how it could be good for morale in any sort of way, nor do I think it helps Josh Allen's development. . 

It says to them we have an intelligent GM who is serious about the team being a long term success.

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Stop.  The only reason for the Eagles to trade for McCoy is to make another Super Bowl Run this year.  They certainly aren’t going to give up a starting WR or lineman for him.  I very much doubt they would give up a 2d or 3d round pick for McCoy, either, but if they are desperate, who knows.

I agree but starting for US is not necessarily starting for them...

Edited by SJDK

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How desperate could the possibly be for a RB? They are replacing Jay Ajayi not Barry Sanders. Their needs are far greater than RB if they want to make a legit SB run again. And as you said, they certainly aren’t going to move any decent offensive weapons or linemen in that case. 

I agree.  If I were the Eagles, I would not be too worried about losing Jay Ajayi.  I’d just sign some guy off someone’s practice squad instead of giving away draft picks for a 30-year old RB.

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

And that’s fine b/c I’m not sure Bills want to actually move Shady so the ask should be high and return an important one for the Bills. But, Philly also needs to recognize there aren’t many RBs of Shady’s capability that doesn’t lock you in to a ton of Cap commitment, eg. Bell. He’s a rental in a year when they have all the players to repeat that may not happen in 3 yrs time and committing a lot of Cap room to Wenz and what will be an older RB at that point may not appeal to them, b/c other than Bell I’m not sure who else is available with their respective talent.

I don't think the Bills want to move Shady unless they get a 2nd round pick and a mid to late round pick back. I do think that the Bills know that the Eagles aren't giving back major players that help them win now. This would be a player for pick/picks type trade. The Eagles are the contending team looking to add talent not give back a lot of talent along with picks for a 30 year old RB not having the best season who also has a significant contract. 

They want Shady to complement their existing talent base and they don't want to give back talent in order to get Shady. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think the Bills want to move Shady unless they get a 2nd round pick and a mid to late round pick back. I do think that the Bills know that the Eagles aren't giving back major players that help them win now. This would be a player for pick/picks type trade. The Eagles are the contending team looking to add talent not give back a lot of talent along with picks for a 30 year old RB not having the best season who also has a significant contract. 

They want Shady to complement their existing talent base and they don't want to give back talent in order to get Shady. 

Agreed. It doesn’t hurt for the eagles to ask and it doesn’t hurt for the Bills to listen, but I don’t see these two teams coming to an agreement on value here, at least as things stand right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

I want to keep shady but I think that mcbean wants a blockbuster off-season. Would not be surprised at all if a deal was made, maybe they should throw in Lawson to sweeten the deal. Not necessarily to the eagles either

Edited by SJDK

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How desperate could the possibly be for a RB? They are replacing Jay Ajayi not Barry Sanders. Their needs are far greater than RB if they want to make a legit SB run again. And as you said, they certainly aren’t going to move any decent offensive weapons or linemen in that case. 

Too many people are getting carried away with how much McCoy will bring in a deal with the Eagles. It's not going to be very high, possibly a fourth or so. If the Bills could get a third round from them I would make the deal. The Eagles have two second round picks so losing a third round pick would not be a major loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Too many people are getting carried away with how much McCoy will bring in a deal with the Eagles. It's not going to be very high, possibly a fourth or so. If the Bills could get a third round from them I would make the deal. The Eagles have two second round picks so losing a third round pick would not be a major loss. 

I could see that happening for sure

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if they're desperate, but weren't they the ones that contacted us about it and were reportedly also interested in Bell? Why make the call if you don't need to? With Ajayi out I think they're just testing the market with teams who might be offloading aging/expensive RB talent relatively soon and could entice them into a trade deal. But otherwise aren't serious about these specific guys without the right offers. Shady did like Philly, he just hated Kelly, so maybe they were trying to play into that a bit.

Either way, Shady isn't going anywhere unless it's for exactly what Beane wants. We made him a Captain this year for a reason, he won't get shipped off for less than a 2nd and a 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He wouldn't bring in a 2nd and a 3rd as we supposedly demanded. That's why Beane started the offer there, which would likely get negotiated to just a 3rd, but still not sure I would do it for that, nor would Beane...at least from peering through the keyhole, it seems like he won't take less than what he's asked for, and not sure any deal gets made at this point anyway. 

If I could trade him for a 3rd, offer to to Pittsburg for Bell. (He never gonna play for the steelers again, or at the very least not after this year, so there lucky to get anything for him).  Give Bell McCoy type money.  By the time Josh is ready for a contract (4 years), Bell will be gone, so the money can be put toward Allen.

They need to trade him NOW.

He's 30 years old, take what you can get from a desperate team!

Just now, clearwater cadet said:

If I could trade him for a 3rd, offer to to Pittsburg for Bell. (He never gonna play for the steelers again, or at the very least not after this year, so there lucky to get anything for him).  Give Bell McCoy type money.  By the time Josh is ready for a contract (4 years), Bell will be gone, so the money can be put toward Allen.

Or just draft a really cheap running back next year with one of the picks they get for McCoy.  Spending big money on a RB is always stupid, and especially stupid for this team.

16 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Not sure if they're desperate, but weren't they the ones that contacted us about it and were reportedly also interested in Bell? Why make the call if you don't need to? With Ajayi out I think they're just testing the market with teams who might be offloading aging/expensive RB talent relatively soon and could entice them into a trade deal. But otherwise aren't serious about these specific guys without the right offers. Shady did like Philly, he just hated Kelly, so maybe they were trying to play into that a bit.

Either way, Shady isn't going anywhere unless it's for exactly what Beane wants. We made him a Captain this year for a reason, he won't get shipped off for less than a 2nd and a 3rd. 

He wouldn't bring in a 2nd and a 3rd as we supposedly demanded. That's why Beane started the offer there, which would likely get negotiated to just a 3rd, but still not sure I would do it for that, nor would Beane...at least from peering through the keyhole, it seems like he won't take less than what he's asked for, and not sure any deal gets made at this point anyway. 

They called the Bills but they are interested in acquiring mccoy - the desperation part comes in giving up a 2nd or 3rd for a 30 yr old RB when you have so many other needs . The bills aren’t desperate to unload him at least right now which doesn’t help them. Go get Ameer Abdullah or something.

If the Bills lose Sunday the talks will likely heat up because the Bills may loosen up their demands.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

it's called common sense scott.  you can dance around it all you want, but most reasonable people know the bills would not have paid him what the would have gotten in FA...nor should they.  he was going to get offered a lot and leave.  the bills got a second for him.  it was the right move.  i don't love losing a wr like that either, but might as well get the pick.

3 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

They need to trade him NOW.

He's 30 years old, take what you can get from a desperate team!

Or just draft a really cheap running back next year with one of the picks they get for McCoy.  Spending big money on a RB is always stupid, and especially stupid for this team.

You can pay for a RB but you also need to have a dominate defense and strong offensive line to make it work. See the Seahawks model before they ruined it by stop paying for their offensive line. This offseason we need to improve our O-line as the whole Wood/Ritchie retirements came out of left field and put is in a bad position. Yet that could change with some good O-line signings and shoring up some other needs like CB depth (I'd love to bring back Gaines on a two-three year deal) and add a WR or two and add a young pass rusher and this team could be set to be a playoff contender again. As to me it's obvious McDermott knows how to get the most of this defense, it's just getting us to be a more complete team and surround Josh with as much talent as possible.