Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

On 11/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They actually could have won both those games. They were both 5-point games pretty late into the second half. 

The lack of outside shooting and some defensive lapses just killed them both games. 

Bell had a lot of good looks too today in the second half, and just couldn’t hit them

Yea the team is close....

Talent is there... They have the ability to play defense

If the consistency comes this can be a tournament team still

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yea the team is close....

Talent is there... They have the ability to play defense

If the consistency comes this can be a tournament team still

I'm not so optimistic about this year's team, but I generally like the direction we're headed in. The part that's really a bummer is we have IMO two starters on the team as currently constructed (Judah and JJ) and theoretically have what we're lacking coming in next season (Freeman as a stud forward and Elijah as the shooter we're sorely lacking), but there's a decent chance Judah and JJ both move on and then we may end up stuck in a similar position again. If we can convince at least one of the two guards to return for a junior season, we might have something here.

Having said that, I'm not ready to take it to the bank that Freeman and Elijah will be studs yet either; I'm really glad both of them should be on TV pretty regularly/will have officially tracked stats to monitor how they're doing rather than just seeing highlight clips. I tend to be confident in Freeman like I was in Judah; Elijah I need to see more of.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not so optimistic about this year's team, but I generally like the direction we're headed in. The part that's really a bummer is we have IMO two starters on the team as currently constructed (Judah and JJ) and theoretically have what we're lacking coming in next season (Freeman as a stud forward and Elijah as the shooter we're sorely lacking), but there's a decent chance Judah and JJ both move on and then we may end up stuck in a similar position again. If we can convince at least one of the two guards to return for a junior season, we might have something here.

Having said that, I'm not ready to take it to the bank that Freeman and Elijah will be studs yet either; I'm really glad both of them should be on TV pretty regularly/will have officially tracked stats to monitor how they're doing rather than just seeing highlight clips. I tend to be confident in Freeman like I was in Judah; Elijah I need to see more of.

Donnie Freeman is a stud! Super pumped about him

And yes losing JJ and Judah will be tough but we will have a 6'6 Junior in quadir who is crafty and a glue guy 

I could see some MCW lite in him 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Donnie Freeman is a stud! Super pumped about him

And yes losing JJ and Judah will be tough but we will have a 6'6 Junior in quadir who is crafty and a glue guy 

I could see some MCW lite in him 

I didn't like Copeland much in high school but we'll see. Hopefully Chance comes back next year too to provide help there. And if we do ultimately lose by Judah and JJ, I would expect we hit the transfer portal so who knows really what the team will end up looking like. At any rate, I'm having fun watching the team again.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Looked really good today!!

Bell is such a smooth shooter.... And Judah!!

when Bell or Taylor are on, this team looks so much better. They need at least one of those guys to shoot well. 

when they don’t shoot well, then they pretty much look exactly like LSU looked tonight! 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

when Bell or Taylor are on, this team looks so much better. They need at least one of those guys to shoot well. 

when they don’t shoot well, then they pretty much look exactly like LSU looked tonight! 

Except LSU doesn't have ball handlers

We have three very good ball handlers in JJ Judah and Copeland

They don't have one guy on their team that handles the rock like that... Extremely weak ball handling

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Except LSU doesn't have ball handlers

We have three very good ball handlers in JJ Judah and Copeland

They don't have one guy on their team that handles the rock like that... Extremely weak ball handling

oh yeah. No doubt. 

BTW, I continue to love Copeland. I can see him as an excellent 4-year player. Just hope he sticks it out. 

50 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Funny, I do not recall saying he was. Let me check...nope, I did not. Not sure what your point of stating the obvious was. 

Why did you get Uber defensive? I was agreeing with your assessment that JJ stays because he isn't nba level rn

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Meow!  ‘Cuse fan cat fight!!

I have no idea why he got so defensive because I was agreeing with him that JJ is gonna stay because he isn't an NBA player rn and judah is

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Autry keeping Copeland in the game for 5-6 minutes is the difference in this game. 

Now they’re melting down after UVA got some breathing room and has ratcheted up the defense. 

Not the greatest coaching start for him in these high pressure games where his rotations are sus and the team falls apart.  

Still a half to go, but this has been really poor from the team and Red. 

• Agree 1

On 12/9/2023 at 4:04 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

awesome game. My boy Copeland came to play! Loved seeing Hima get some great minutes too.

BTW, how awful were those Homer Georgetown announcers?! I haven’t heard anything like that! 

Always loved quadir... He would get way more burn on a team with lesser guards

I really think he's going to be a tremendous 4 year player and he will be our starting point guard when he's a senior

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

He was so good catching the ball at the foul line and beating their match up zone!

Also can guard 4 positions!

The fact he can guard their best scorer with aggressiveness, helps keep Judah and Bell and JJ cleaner to score 

He's definitely the glue of the team .. all over the box score in every category 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

he has to be my favorite player on this team, and maybe since Dolejaz. Could see him flash last year. Still a little wild on the offensive side, but just tremendous hustle and great passing vision. Hope he keeps on getting those minutes!! 

He's definitely the guard version of marek!

Man I miss him!!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t know much about him. My buddy called him more of a slasher. Any idea if he can shoot? 

Eh not his forte ... He does have a good mid range jumper rn

He more of a finishing 3 who has good vision and passing abilities so he can play the 1 

Another guy who can guard multiple positions, play with the ball and finish 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...