Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

49 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If we could just get Judah to stay one more year, I feel like next year's team could be awesome. Going to have to hope for more improvements from Quadir/JJ and or maybe some portal luck.

Donnie Freeman is probably the first kid to come here in a decade where he's pretty much a no-brainer NBA player unless he literally doesn't improve at all.

Any word on Chance Westry?

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

If we could just get Judah to stay one more year, I feel like next year's team could be awesome. Going to have to hope for more improvements from Quadir/JJ and or maybe some portal luck.

Donnie Freeman is probably the first kid to come here in a decade where he's pretty much a no-brainer NBA player unless he literally doesn't improve at all.

I think Mintz could be one of those "addition by subtraction" types.  He shows little interest in playing defense and is a poor shooter.  He seems more interested in "getting his", than in getting teammates involved.  I do expect improvement from both Starling and Copeland, but we need size down low, in the worst way.  The interior defense was horrendous for much of the year.

27 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I think Mintz could be one of those "addition by subtraction" types.  He shows little interest in playing defense and is a poor shooter.  He seems more interested in "getting his", than in getting teammates involved.  I do expect improvement from both Starling and Copeland, but we need size down low, in the worst way.  The interior defense was horrendous for much of the year.

I do think we could definitely improve our offensive spacing by subbing Judah out for a better shooter, but he's by far our best scorer right now and probably our best creator for teammates too. Not an easy guy to replace.

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Any word on Chance Westry?

The staff initially thought he'd return around the holidays this season, but he suffered another setback. At this point, it'll be going on two years since he played in a competitive game; he's a very talented player and I know the staff is very high on his skillset, but I think we have to basically treat any contributions he gives us as a bonus at this point.

Last I heard, we have no plans to bring in a guard through the transfer portal, so probably planning to just roll with Quadir, JJ, Copeland, Cuffe, and Elijah Moore as ball handlers. Sounds like our main focus in getting a legitimate center, which makes a ton of sense but it'll be interesting to see how we make the roster work with Maliq and Freeman both best at PF. Freeman will almost certainly be starting, so is the plan to demote Maliq to make room for a center or are we talking about more of a depth C rather than a legitimate starter? Not sure.

It was just some random whispers before...not from anyone I trust but more just gut feeling kinda stuff about Maliq Brown leaving. I've now heard from someone I do trust that it's something we have to actually be worried about. Doesn't sound like it's set in stone the way Judah leaving is, but Maliq is at least considering leaving because of Donnie coming in and our desire to get a real center.

FWIW, one person I know who is very close with Autry is saying we shouldn't be so quick to write Judah off, but basically everyone else I know that is in the know is saying there's no chance he's back next season.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It was just some random whispers before...not from anyone I trust but more just gut feeling kinda stuff about Maliq Brown leaving. I've now heard from someone I do trust that it's something we have to actually be worried about. Doesn't sound like it's set in stone the way Judah leaving is, but Maliq is at least considering leaving because of Donnie coming in and our desire to get a real center.

FWIW, one person I know who is very close with Autry is saying we shouldn't be so quick to write Judah off, but basically everyone else I know that is in the know is saying there's no chance he's back next season.

And just like that Maliq put out word that he’ll be back!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just not a good team.  Complete lack of effort on the boards.

Just now, Steptide said:

If this team somehow makes the ncaa tournament, they'll go nowhere. They honestly would probably do better in the nit tournament. They have no defense 

They're nowhere near good enough to be a tourney team.

9 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Just not a good team.  Complete lack of effort on the boards.

They're nowhere near good enough to be a tourney team.

Agree. Quite obvious watching them tonight. They're terrible at defense, can't move the ball around on offense, someone just trys to drive the ball every posession. I'd just give it to bell and let him shoot 3's all night 

Edited by Steptide

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Tough way for the season to end in one of their poorest performances. Just sloppy. 

I bet they make the NIT. Which I guess is better than nothing. They did have some good wins this season, but they're not an ncaa tournament team yet 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:32 PM, Steptide said:

Agree. Quite obvious watching them tonight. They're terrible at defense, can't move the ball around on offense, someone just trys to drive the ball every posession. I'd just give it to bell and let him shoot 3's all night 

At the end of the day, the team is still extremely flawed. Step in the right direction this year for sure, and landing Donnie Freeman for next season is huge. But we literally do not have a playable center on the team right now and we have like two players that can sometimes shoot a 3. You can sometimes survive without shooting if you have a great big man. Or you can survive not having a big man if you shoot it great. Not having either makes it pretty much impossible to win on a consistent basis.

Maybe this will prove as accurate as the Maliq fears, but I’ve had multiple people tell me today that Copeland is gone too. 

Heard Taylor transferring is a certainty as well for different reasons.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Maybe this will prove as accurate as the Maliq fears, but I’ve had multiple people tell me today that Copeland is gone too. 

Copeland transferring would be a heart breaker. Everyone loves him. Just a fun player. 

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Copeland transferring would be a heart breaker. Everyone loves him. Just a fun player. 

It sounds like the fans might love him, but that is not how the team/staff feels. I also ended up hearing from one of Autry's friends that Copeland is definitely leaving and both sides are happy to break up.

With college kids, I'd never bank on anything as a 100% guarantee; especially in this portal/NIL world we're in now where things can change very quickly. But it sounds like the plan is for Copeland to transfer elsewhere and try to find a starting spot somewhere.

The only reason I'm saying the door could still potentially be open is because it sounds like we'll be losing a lot of guys this offseason once again and at some point you kinda have to build around somebody lol. We don't have enough talent to continue replacing half the roster every year but it sounds like that's where we are once again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Didn't want to say a whole lot at the time, but I had heard of Copeland likely transferring, earlier this season.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It sounds like the fans might love him, but that is not how the team/staff feels. I also ended up hearing from one of Autry's friends that Copeland is definitely leaving and both sides are happy to break up.

With college kids, I'd never bank on anything as a 100% guarantee; especially in this portal/NIL world we're in now where things can change very quickly. But it sounds like the plan is for Copeland to transfer elsewhere and try to find a starting spot somewhere.

The only reason I'm saying the door could still potentially be open is because it sounds like we'll be losing a lot of guys this offseason once again and at some point you kinda have to build around somebody lol. We don't have enough talent to continue replacing half the roster every year but it sounds like that's where we are once again.

Very interesting. Appreciate the inside info. Might be that Copeland seems to be a little too free wheeling and probably doesn’t play within the offense as much as the staff likes? 

56 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Syracuse declined an NIT invitation.  Supposedly, there will be a mass exodus of players once the transfer portal opens tomorrow.

I was wondering what was going on. Seemed surprising they wouldn’t get an invitation. This makes more sense.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Syracuse declined an NIT invitation.  Supposedly, there will be a mass exodus of players once the transfer portal opens tomorrow.

I've heard Judah, Copeland, and Taylor (and obviously Benny) are basically guarantees to leave. Hima and Carey probably gone as well. Bell is a maybe but feels like we're relatively hopeful about him.

Also sounds like we're fairly confident we're going to get Erik Reynolds in the transfer portal but plenty of time for things to change in the portal.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I've heard Judah, Copeland, and Taylor (and obviously Benny) are basically guarantees to leave. Hima and Carey probably gone as well. Bell is a maybe but feels like we're relatively hopeful about him.

Also sounds like we're fairly confident we're going to get Erik Reynolds in the transfer portal but plenty of time for things to change in the portal.

Copeland is the unexpected one and that is what hurts. Taylor I could care less about, and Mintz was pretty much thought to be done after this year regardless.

Would have been nice to keep Copeland and run it back with Bell Brown and JJ.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Copeland is the unexpected one and that is what hurts. Taylor I could care less about, and Mintz was pretty much thought to be done after this year regardless.

Would have been nice to keep Copeland and run it back with Bell Brown and JJ.

I just don’t get it re Copeland. Poised to have a great year next year for us, IMO. He can’t be worried about his minutes. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I guess as predicated. Still don’t understand Copeland. Is there that much better of a spot for him next year?  

FWIW, I just heard that Copeland had some off-the-court problems going on.  Looking for a change of a scenery?  IDK.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I guess as predicated. Still don’t understand Copeland. Is there that much better of a spot for him next year?  

I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers him a starting role and he wasn't going to get that here (or at least the staff was hoping he wouldn't lol).

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know about you guys, but given what I am hearing and reading about the issues that surrounded the team (and players) this year, I am pretty impressed that Red was able to get them to 20 wins.  Seems like there was a consistent theme of personnel issues and attitude problems and injuries.  Hopefully all that can stabilize for next year and this team can take a step back into the tourney.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On a separate note, I have realized that I can’t really knowledgeably fill out a NCAA bracket anymore. I think with the demise of Syracuse bball, I just have no incentive to watch the elite teams in college bball play. I haven’t seen any of the top seeds play this year. 

back when Syracuse was ranked, I feel like I knew so much more about college bball as a whole. 

not sure if anyone is in the same boat? 

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On a separate note, I have realized that I can’t really knowledgeably fill out a NCAA bracket anymore. I think with the demise of Syracuse bball, I just have no incentive to watch the elite teams in college bball play. I haven’t seen any of the top seeds play this year. 

back when Syracuse was ranked, I feel like I knew so much more about college bball as a whole. 

Yes! Though I think it has to do with me being older and having a family too. Not as much time to devote to watching the game.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yeah I mean I used to watch a ton of college basketball and be really plugged in

Now I'm basically plugged in with Syracuse and the ACC.. and I watch some Big 12 basketball 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I mean I used to watch a ton of college basketball and be really plugged in

Now I'm basically plugged in with Syracuse and the ACC.. and I watch some Big 12 basketball 

I also wonder if this has something to do with conference realignment? It was around that time when I stopped watching as much non-Syracuse bball. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I also wonder if this has something to do with conference realignment? It was around that time when I stopped watching as much non-Syracuse bball. 

Oh for sure without a doubt

It's been a slow decline for me since the original Big East disbanded

I love Syracuse orangeman basketball but the ACC is not the same

And it has hurt our recruiting

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know if he was really ever gonna crack the line up 

Given how many scholarships we had the year we took him, I'm totally fine with taking a flier on a late bloomer with his height and athleticism but between injuries and simply lack of development, it was probably time to move on. I wonder if he'd consider following Gerry to Siena or if he'd prefer to try to catch on at a bigger program again.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was always going to be a head coach one day.. so it was just a matter of time of time

Maybe they can bring back devo

Really curious to see what they end up doing with that assistant vacancy. I haven't really heard anything concrete but seems like the prevailing theory at the moment is that they'll look to bring in someone outside the Syracuse family. Someone else however mentioned Demetris Nichols as a possibility too. Guess we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1