Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

43 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I wish him good luck, but I wonder what the point is. There’s no chance he gets drafted. Even his best mocks have him maybe at the very bottom of the second round, and the mocks usually overshoot on bubble guys like Hughes.

So he’ll probably bounce around the G-league for a few years and hopefully the stars align and he gets into the perfect spot. But odds are, whether  he stays or goes, he has a solid overseas career. 

so, if that’s the case, why not play another year of fun D-1 college hoops? 

Flip side is, let's say he doesn't even get an NBA sniff, and he plays overseas.  Conservatively, let's say he pulls in $175,000/yr.  Coming back for his senior year may simply just cost him a year of basketball earning potential.

Maybe he comes back, improves and grades out as a 1st rounder.  Personally, I don't see that happening, as he tends to disappear from games for large chunks at a time.  

JMHO, but the biggest problem we had last season was defense, especially at the top of the zone, with Girard and Jackson.  I don't see that issue improving significantly next season.

19 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Flip side is, let's say he doesn't even get an NBA sniff, and he plays overseas.  Conservatively, let's say he pulls in $175,000/yr.  Coming back for his senior year may simply just cost him a year of basketball earning potential.

Maybe he comes back, improves and grades out as a 1st rounder.  Personally, I don't see that happening, as he tends to disappear from games for large chunks at a time.  

JMHO, but the biggest problem we had last season was defense, especially at the top of the zone, with Girard and Jackson.  I don't see that issue improving significantly next season.

They really make that much $ overseas?

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I thought so, but after doing a little digging, it seems like the average player pulls in less than that.

I believe some countries/leagues pay more than others.  For example, I don’t know this to be fact, but I’ve heard that there is a league in Israel that pays better than most.  I think Brandon Triche played there for a couple seasons.

13 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I thought so, but after doing a little digging, it seems like the average player pulls in less than that.

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I believe some countries/leagues pay more than others.  For example, I don’t know this to be fact, but I’ve heard that there is a league in Israel that pays better than most.  I think Brandon Triche played there for a couple seasons.

I'd really like to know, too..................China pays a lot.  Andrew Nicholson of Bonas, who was the 19th pick in the NBA draft and played about 4 years or so in the league was making $3M a year when he first got to China.  He's done really well and is probably making more at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, bbb said:

I'd really like to know, too..................China pays a lot.  Andrew Nicholson of Bonas, who was the 19th pick in the NBA draft and played about 4 years or so in the league was making $3M a year when he first got to China.  He's done really well and is probably making more at this point.  

there was a good 30 for 30 podcast on Diana Taurasi and sue bird playing overseas in the WNBA offseason. They made a boatload of money playing for a Russian mobster (before he was murdered).

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

there was a good 30 for 30 podcast on Diana Taurasi and sue bird playing overseas in the WNBA offseason. They made a boatload of money playing for a Russian mobster (before he was murdered).

Damn - I hate when that happens!  

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU recruit Kadari Richmond soars up recruiting rankings

The 6'7 guard is a great get for the orange

The more I see of Richmond, the more I like his game.  He’s got some polish to his game for a frosh.  Hopefully Allan Griffin is allowed to play this season.  I think he could potentially play some SF.  Great shooter.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU recruit Kadari Richmond soars up recruiting rankings

The 6'7 guard is a great get for the orange

He's the most excited I've been about an SU recruit since Lydon or possibly even MCW. He's got a ton of cleaning up to do in terms of his shooting mechanics, but if he can even become an MCW level shooter, he should be really really good. He has the potential to physically overpower smaller guards and make bigger wings/big men look foolish with his crossovers.

Unfortunately I don't like Woody Newton nearly as much. If the coaching staff can't get him to play hard (which he didn't do in any of the 4 or 5 high school games I watched), I see him as a transfer candidate after a year or two of being in Boeheim's doghouse. There's plenty of potential there if they can get him to buy in; I'm just always weary of guys that don't have the skills yet and also don't seem to play hard.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He's the most excited I've been about an SU recruit since Lydon or possibly even MCW. He's got a ton of cleaning up to do in terms of his shooting mechanics, but if he can even become an MCW level shooter, he should be really really good. He has the potential to physically overpower smaller guards and make bigger wings/big men look foolish with his crossovers.

Unfortunately I don't like Woody Newton nearly as much. If the coaching staff can't get him to play hard (which he didn't do in any of the 4 or 5 high school games I watched), I see him as a transfer candidate after a year or two of being in Boeheim's doghouse. There's plenty of potential there if they can get him to buy in; I'm just always weary of guys that don't have the skills yet and also don't seem to play hard.

What do you think about Frank Anselem?

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I haven’t watched anything outside of a highlights video of him so far. Seems like a more mobile big man than any of our current centers based on that but aside from that I wouldn’t be confident saying anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

On 5/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, DCOrange said:

I haven’t watched anything outside of a highlights video of him so far. Seems like a more mobile big man than any of our current centers based on that but aside from that I wouldn’t be confident saying anything. 

Ansalem has dropped Kentucky from his final 6 and SU looks to be the favorite!

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ansalem has dropped Kentucky from his final 6 and SU looks to be the favorite!

Seems like it’s down to us, WKU, and San Diego State from what I’ve been reading. It’s played out in our favor to get to this point at least but you could make a good case for any of the remaining 3 schools. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

they really bury the lede in that article. Dior Johnson may go straight to the pros or G-league? I can’t take another heartbreak like that. 

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

they really bury the lede in that article. Dior Johnson may go straight to the pros or G-league? I can’t take another heartbreak like that. 

In the past he has said if the NBA remove the one and done rule he would consider going pro

I don't think he will go the G league route as he does seem to want to play college ball at least for a season if he can't go right to the NBA

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1