Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Bumping this for the season, man I was impressed with the new guys in the exhibition.

Really loving having a big man like McLeod in the middle and playing more man allows for the talented guys like brown and Williams to match up and use their length and athleticism. Then we got guards like Sterling and Mintz. Shooters in Taylor and bell.

This should be a tournament team

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Not sure why we don't keep bell and Taylor on the floor at the same time. Also any word on what happened to get Williams suspended?

Congrats Red on your first win!

I really liked what I saw from the team. I think Red is still messing around with the rotation. And I am sure they are still trying different things on defense. 

But to your point, we need some shooting out there. I really can’t believe Mintz and Starling and Copeland can’t hit wide open 3s.

by the way, I love how Cuffe plays! 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone else hear the rumor about the alleged “dust up” between Benny and Red Autry in practice last week that led to his suspension?  I heard Benny got in his face screaming and it got ugly.  Autry threw him out of practice.

That made me chuckle as it reminded me of when my mother asked my son, maybe one year out of college, how many times a week he dusted his apartment. His expression was PRICELESS!  😂 

I’m only here because I can’t look at the football stuff right now. So many GENIUSES! Or is that Guinnesses? Hard to say for sure. 

My older sister and a close friend went to Syracuse, so I feel a bit connected. I’m just glad to have some hoops to focus on. College hoops is my secondary “thing”, but mostly Xavier. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone else hear the rumor about the alleged “dust up” between Benny and Red Autry in practice last week that led to his suspension?  I heard Benny got in his face screaming and it got ugly.  Autry threw him out of practice.

Was wondering what happened! Is there a timeline on when he may return if at all? I wonder what made him so mad

49 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Was wondering what happened! Is there a timeline on when he may return if at all? I wonder what made him so mad

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU said should return soon

Again, just info from a trusted source.  I have no idea as to the duration of his suspension. 

Definitely a bit nervous about the defense. It's so nice to have a pair of guards as quick as Judah and JJ are though. JJ's jumper a bit concerning too; I feel like he had a reputation as a pretty good shooter but the numbers and eye test are both not good right now.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Definitely a bit nervous about the defense. It's so nice to have a pair of guards as quick as Judah and JJ are though. JJ's jumper a bit concerning too; I feel like he had a reputation as a pretty good shooter but the numbers and eye test are both not good right now.

Agreed. Bit of a weird hitch on JJ’s outside shot. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I was impressed with Autry, made great 2nd half adjustments, kept the players engaged and believing. Bell was clutch and brown at the end sealed it. It does seem the team follows Judah too

Judah is him ... He's the best guard we've had in a couple years now 

And we have some very good defensive guys if we want to go that way in a rotation...

Quadir Copeland and maliq have some tenacious D when they let them loose

9 hours ago, nemhoff said:

These guys seem to be playing with more of a “not afraid of getting pulled” attitude…especially Bell.

We have got to figure out the D and rebounding early in games

The poor rebounding against Colgate was alarming. They should be much better on the defensive glass now that they are playing man. I don’t quite get it.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The poor rebounding against Colgate was alarming. They should be much better on the defensive glass now that they are playing man. I don’t quite get it.

Probably because guys like bell don't believe in rebounding lol

He's had a couple of games where he's got some decent boards... But for a 6'8 player he admittedly even said he was never asked to rebound in high school

Also it doesn't help when you're 7 ft 3 center can't grab bound off the glass

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Probably because guys like bell don't believe in rebounding lol

He's had a couple of games where he's got some decent boards... But for a 6'8 player he admittedly even said he was never asked to rebound in high school

Also it doesn't help when you're 7 ft 3 center can't grab bound off the glass

haha. I can relate to Bell. I play a lot of rec ball, and I am there to basically drain buckets, not get an elbow to the face. 

but to your last point, I was puzzled at how Naheem got worked by these 6’8” power forward at Colgate. I assumed too he would be a major upgrade on the boards from Edwards— obviously very wrong about that. 

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha. I can relate to Bell. I play a lot of rec ball, and I am there to basically drain buckets, not get an elbow to the face. 

but to your last point, I was puzzled at how Naheem got worked by these 6’8” power forward at Colgate. I assumed too he would be a major upgrade on the boards from Edwards— obviously very wrong about that. 

Yea he's lost rebounding rn... It's about positioning and want 

Maliq has it in spades hence why he will be playing major minutes at the 5

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ughhh just so inconsistent 

They get it close (just like last game) and then throw up all over themselves. Also Bell and Taylor go cold from outside hurts our entire offense. Hard for JJ and Judah to drive with no threat from outside

• Agree 1