Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Yes, not sure how they got to .9

The clock read .4 when they thought the ball finally hit out of bounds.  The replay was inconclusive.  It almost looked like the ball was on the line at 1.2.  The way it was explained, the refs couldn’t make a definitive call so they just split the difference ?‍♂️?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The clock read .4 when they thought the ball finally hit out of bounds.  The replay was inconclusive.  It almost looked like the ball was on the line at 1.2.  The way it was explained, the refs couldn’t make a definitive call so they just split the difference ?‍♂️?‍♂️

I guess that’s fair?? Not sure that’s how this is supposed to work tho lol 

Edit: I guess I should go back to my non watching as I finally watched after 5 games, and they lost. My bad guys, this ones on me

Edited by Bray Wyatt

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I guess that’s fair?? Not sure that’s how this is supposed to work tho lol 

Edit: I guess I should go back to my non watching as I finally watched after 5 games, and they lost. My bad guys, this ones on me

Don’t be too hard on yourself...lol.  A 1 point loss on the road @ Clemson isn’t a terrible loss.  Still have a lot of conference games and the ACC tournament to go.  Keep the faith man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t be too hard on yourself...lol.  A 1 point loss on the road @ Clemson isn’t a terrible loss.  Still have a lot of conference games and the ACC tournament to go.  Keep the faith man.

Oh I’m not terribly upset and was glad to see they look infinitely better than they did when I stopped watching. Buddy has seemed to take a nice step forward in development and Hughes looks real good too. We need to find who we can rely on as a third scorer and we will be fine, and I think we can get that depending on the match up with either dolezaj or girard. Could be Guerrier if they give him the ball more

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Oh I’m not terribly upset and was glad to see they look infinitely better than they did when I stopped watching. Buddy has seemed to take a nice step forward in development and Hughes looks real good too. We need to find who we can rely on as a third scorer and we will be fine, and I think we can get that depending on the match up with either dolezaj or girard. Could be Guerrier if they give him the ball more

One obscure positive I came away with tonight...Jesse Edwards was not the reason we lost.  He essentially came in with 4:00+ left and held his own on defense.  He had that one ridiculous turnover, but overall, I think he did okay with both Dolezaj and Sidibe fouled out.  

He is raw, but I think he will be a good “2-3 zone” center by his late sophomore/Junior season.  Hit the weights and eat lots of Varsity pizza, Jesse ?

Clemson was on Buddy like white on rice all game long. They were determined that he would not get hot against him.

Love this team and how they are getting better, but this late game let-down cycle they are stuck in, when they let teams get back into it with less than 5 mins to go, finally bit them in the ass. If they can correct that, they can play with anybody.

Some random thoughts on some of our players at this point in the season:

• Girard: Not shooting the 3 ball as well as I had hoped, but his PG abilities are pretty far along for a freshman that was viewed mostly as an undersized SG. The feeling of seeing him at the free throw line is completely unfamiliar to me as a Syracuse fan.
  • Buddy: People were harping on him way too much earlier in the year. Yeah, he's not the most active defender, but he's an amazing shooter, smart player, and has a developing game off the dribble/in the mid-post.
  • Hughes: Obviously just very good.
  • Dolezaj: Remains one of my favorite and simultaneously disappointing players. With a more aggressive personality and perhaps in a different system, he could be one of the focal points of an offense with his savvy moves, great passing for his size, and smart reads. It pops every once in awhile for us, but I can't help but think he may have been better off playing elsewhere.
  • Sidibe: He's definitely improved but remains a weakness more often than not.
  • Guerrier: Painful to watch most of the time offensively, but how can you not love how hard he's playing right now? He flies around the court and makes hustle plays left and right. Can only hope he develops more of an offensive game.
  • Washington: Pretty much the perfect backup PG; just takes care of the ball and makes sure things don't get out of hand. Obviously wish he had more scoring ability in his arsenal, but we can make due with him.
  • Goodine: Has been disappointing relative to what I thought he might provide immediately, but he's shown flashes recently of gaining some confidence. Doesn't seem as lost as some of our other recent guard busts (Carey and Kaleb come to mind).
  • Edwards: I remain low on him.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This team needs at least 20 wins, probably 21 wins to make the NCAA tournament... my opinion, of course.

Who sees us making the tourney with our remaining schedule?

I doubt they make it.  I think they make the NIT and can perhaps win the whole thing. That’s saying a lot, because earlier in the season, there was no chance they were even making that tournament. 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This team needs at least 20 wins, probably 21 wins to make the NCAA tournament... my opinion, of course.

Who sees us making the tourney with our remaining schedule?

10 games left. I can see us winning 6. We can steal another and beat a ranked team and get to 20 wins. If we only get 5 or 6 wins, we'll likely need to win 2-3 games in the ACC tourney to have a chance. 

The NIT this year wouldn't be terrible either. All the games we can get to gain experience for the run we should be able to make next season is a good thing.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I doubt they make it.  I think they make the NIT and can perhaps win the whole thing. That’s saying a lot, because earlier in the season, there was no chance they were even making that tournament. 

Would a win against Duke this Saturday drastically change your perception of our tourney bid chances?  I think we can beat them.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Would a win against Duke this Saturday drastically change your perception of our tourney bid chances?  I think we can beat them.

I think so. They really need a signature win— not even for the resume, but to confirm that they have turned the corner and are a better team than what we saw. 

Tough loss. Duke just had too much size and we needed to shoot better from 3 to really have a chance.

i will say this about the game:

1) Carey is a total punk. Yeah, he will be a good NBA player, but he is even less

likable than his father. 

2) the officiating was really shoddy. Just way too many missed calls. 

3) Cory Alexander is really horrible as an announcer.  I almost had to mute it at one point.