Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Gritty win there against Indiana. I have to say that the officials really took over this game. Benny getting shoved at the end of regulation, and then IU gets a phantom call on the put back to sent it into OT. Then it was just foul calls on both teams back and forth down the stretch until the very end.

major props to Anselem for hitting 4 huge FT’s when we were down 4 in OT2. That game was about to slip away if he didn’t make those.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I don't know how we hung with them but what a pass by Jimmy b to jg3.  And nice to see anselem and Williams get important minutes.  Huge win!!!

This will be at a minimum a tier 2 win.. possibly tier 1 

Great W 

And JG3 gets alot of heat but he is a really good basketball player who has no one to spell him really

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This will be at a minimum a tier 2 win.. possibly tier 1 

Great W 

And JG3 gets alot of heat but he is a really good basketball player who has no one to spell him really

For as much as everyone gives JG grief (me included), that was as smooth of an ending as you will see. Calmly broke the press. Great feed from Jimmy back to him and he confidently went up. Love the IU fans complaining about the call— he got nailed in the side and then raked across the arms. That was a no brainer call. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

For as much as everyone gives JG grief (me included), that was as smooth of an ending as you will see. Calmly broke the press. Great feed from Jimmy back to him and he confidently went up. Love the IU fans complaining about the call— he got nailed in the side and then raked across the arms. That was a no brainer call. 

Exactly

Come on some of those calls at the end of the game in regulation were extremely weak 

Like the Big East never used to call ticky tacky fouls like that 

Extremely gritty performance though.. to think swider and Edwards could foul out and we win... Remarkable

• Agree 1

Huge performances from JG3 and Jimmy last night. Pretty gutsy win after we predictably went cold in the 2nd half and let them take the lead. Also, coming out with what was essentially a 1-3-1 zone was one of the most shocking things I've ever seen from Syracuse.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

thoughts from the nosebleeds:

finally some hustle!!!  Up and down (lot of down in the 2nd half) but they never quit whether tied or even losing, they fought all game.

Torrance played great imo.  He had a stretch where he drew 2 quick fouls, then drove to the hoop and got the bucket.  Would love to see more of him.  His handle gave IU trouble as they were used to JGIII who isn't as good of a ball handler.  I think his speed gave them trouble.

Edwards best game.  Some of it was he just couldn't miss but he was aggressive which was really nice to see.

I would like to see Benny Williams get some run and not get yanked for every little mistake.  It looks like he is forcing it and too scared to make a mistake which is causing issues.  It looked like he got annoyed once when JB addressed him.  Hopefully nothing.

Buddy has the slowest most telegraphed spin move I have ever seen.  Great night from him though.  50 minutes is unsustainable though.  Would like to see Torrance and JGIII together so Buddy can get some rest and JGIII can play SG.

Was the end of the game foul as terrible as it looked in the dome?  I don't know that I have ever seen a foul called on the put back like that.

TJD is a player.  It was a treat to watch him.  Stud.

Boeheim brothers played a great game.  Jimmy really impressed me but it looked like he was gassed in the 2nd half.  I don't know how he played as well as he did as tired as he looked.

How awesome was it to have JGIII at the line with .8 seconds left in double ot.  No doubt he was going to make it.  Anselem banging down 4 clutch ot fts.  Been a long time since I felt this confident with SU at the line.  I was kind of hoping JGIII would purposely miss the 2nd ft but it all worked out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Huge performances from JG3 and Jimmy last night. Pretty gutsy win after we predictably went cold in the 2nd half and let them take the lead. Also, coming out with what was essentially a 1-3-1 zone was one of the most shocking things I've ever seen from Syracuse.

Jim did call it a 1-3-1 in his presser 

Remember back in the day when he would start in zone .. if that didn't work go to man.. then his patented press ? 

We are talking 25-30 years ago

Edited by Buffalo716

interesting to hear how JB was watching Anselem in practice and suggested a mechanics change to his FT’s— now the guy is clutch at the line.  

You sort of wonder if they could play him At the 4— offense would suffer, but that length on the back line on D with Swider, edwards, and Frank would be pretty sweet. 

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

interesting to hear how JB was watching Anselem in practice and suggested a mechanics change to his FT’s— now the guy is clutch at the line.  

You sort of wonder if they could play him At the 4— offense would suffer, but that length on the back line on D with Swider, edwards, and Frank would be pretty sweet. 

If They are going to go big big like that 

Jesse Edwards at the four and anselom at the five might work better

Since Jesse could shoot it from 15 ft

John bol ajok is also sitting the bench at the four spot right now and he has a lot of size

Probably not that great of a basketball player tho ... Jim still definitely has it when he wants

He is one of the best developers in the country

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

John bol ajok is also sitting the bench at the four spot right now and he has a lot of size

Probably not that great of a basketball player tho ... Jim still definitely has it when he want

He's good, but he's our typical toothpick of a "big" man. Jesse and Frank are between him and Craig forth size wise, but Edwards is showing nice agility and hands.  Anselem is also on that trajectory, and despite someone else calling out some hustle, there's still a lot of lack of urgency, and it was called out by the morons calling the game (didn't know Syracuse was the home of the shot clock?  Come on!!!). 

I hope this game showed there's talent enough to hang with anyone in the land

13 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

He's good, but he's our typical toothpick of a "big" man. Jesse and Frank are between him and Craig forth size wise, but Edwards is showing nice agility and hands.  Anselem is also on that trajectory, and despite someone else calling out some hustle, there's still a lot of lack of urgency, and it was called out by the morons calling the game (didn't know Syracuse was the home of the shot clock?  Come on!!!). 

I hope this game showed there's talent enough to hang with anyone in the land

Yea when I say size I mean more length .. he's 6'10 with long arms 

Even with 10 years ago we had great big men like fab melo and arinze anawaku and Rick Jackson ... All were really big strong basketball players 

Fab was a monster

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Great second half.  Florida State couldn't buy a FG.  defense was pretty stout.  As well as Edwards has been playing, he needs to be more careful with his fouls, we need him in at the end of games

Edwards has improved so much and we now have a legit post presence to open it up for our shooters. I do like the element that jimmy brings as well, does a little of everything which is perfect.

Having the ability to switch to 1-3-1 assuming we can do it well enough, makes it even harder to prepare for our defense and could make us really difficult

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Edwards has improved so much and we now have a legit post presence to open it up for our shooters. I do like the element that jimmy brings as well, does a little of everything which is perfect.

Having the ability to switch to 1-3-1 assuming we can do it well enough, makes it even harder to prepare for our defense and could make us really difficult

Edwards has shown really nice touch around the rim, but maybe more importantly, just keeping the ball high when he catches it is absolutely huge and it’s an issue that has plagued almost all of our big men over the years. Still too weak on the glass (but that can be said about pretty much all our players) but he’s improved a lot over the off-season. 

Cole finally got it going in the 2nd half too. Once he starts shooting like his normal self again, it should hopefully change the complexion of the team. 

Watched my first Chris Bunch game today. My basic take through one game is that he's more of a run and jump defender than someone who will get down in his stance and go to work. Could make him a decent fit for our zone and press, but he didn't really disrupt anything defensively either so sort of a mixed bag. Seems like there might be potential there though.

Offensively, he essentially plays as a spot up shooter and he shot 3/8 from 3 in this game. Having said that, he shoots with a very wide base and his lower body and upper body aren't really working together; I suspect that Boeheim will make some significant tweaks to his jumpshot. He's already considered a good shooter for a high schooler, so maybe cleaner mechanics will turn him into a great shooter. Or it could always go the other way too. At any rate, him showing up at Syracuse with a different looking shot is my personal expectation. Outside of the jumpers, he has a high and loose handle; I don't think we'll be leaning on him for creation any time soon but he did have one or two nice passes in this game.

He seems to be in the same sort of mold as Woody Newton, who I did not like in high school, but I think Bunch is more talented at this point in time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Another day another embarrassing effort on the glass. This is I think the 3rd time this season we struggled to grab even 50% of available defensive rebounds. 

That was bad, I don’t know what it is they are missing. It felt like Edwards was in position a lot but guys would just fly in from behind and grab them always.

Also would have been nice for buddy to show up today. Same with Swider, I thought after his early bucket he would be ready to play against his former team.

Oh well, wasn’t expecting a win there, but the first half got my hopes up.

Beat Georgetown and it will make me feel better

15 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

That was bad, I don’t know what it is they are missing. It felt like Edwards was in position a lot but guys would just fly in from behind and grab them always.

Also would have been nice for buddy to show up today. Same with Swider, I thought after his early bucket he would be ready to play against his former team.

Oh well, wasn’t expecting a win there, but the first half got my hopes up.

Beat Georgetown and it will make me feel better

I’m afraid Villanova just gave everyone the formula to shut down our offense. Just play tight, stay at home, don’t help. We don’t have anyone that can get by their man. The best we can manage is contested floaters from the Boeheims. We might be okay enough in the regular season to survive but anyone that really game plans for us should be able to make it difficult for us to score and we obviously know our defense isn’t good. We unfortunately lost the one player that was able to create easy looks for people. 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Tough loss to Georgetown. Team played very well. Georgetown just made a few more plays down the stretch. That Muhammad kid was really good. 

First half was the best ball movement and tempo we've played with all season. Second half we reverted back to iso ball again and just fell apart.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

First half was the best ball movement and tempo we've played with all season. Second half we reverted back to iso ball again and just fell apart.

agreed. That said, they had some open shots there down the stretch and just missed. And GTown made some ridiculous shots. 

what’s nuts is that the Swider kick ball was the game. Caused the shot clock to get re-set at 20, and so we were stuck fouling. 

I was finally able to find film of Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor's IMG team. Only one game so far, so obviously dealing with small sample sizes, but my skinny on the two of them:

Copeland:

• Impressive passing ability, but pretty much is always attempting no-look passes instead of just making the game easy for himself.
  • That carries over to his shots as well; all 10 of his shots were at the rim, but he finished just 3/10 as they were pretty much all difficult shots where he had to contort his body to shoot around the defender.
  • Shot 7/7 at the free throw line!
  • Racked up 5 or 6 offensive rebounds
  • Couldn't have been worse on the defensive end unless he just sat at half court cherry picking while his team played 4 on 5.

Taylor:

• Shot 1/3 at the rim, 1/3 from mid-range, and 2/6 from the 3 point line. 5/6 at the free throw line though!
  • Moves pretty well off-ball and makes his decisions to attack or keep the ball moving quickly.
  • Comfortable shooting off screens and his mechanics are mostly good. There's 1 or 2 things I might nitpick but he's further along in that regard than Copeland and Chris Bunch.
  • 2nd biggest player on the team and plays the back line of the zone and finished with 0 rebounds as far as I could tell.

We definitely have more of a need for Copeland's skillset, but if he doesn't change his ways, there's no way Boeheim (or whoever could theoretically replace Boeheim next season) will play him. The good news is it's really as simple as him just deciding to play with any effort and I think his ceiling is pretty high if he does. Taylor is the most polished of the three recruits that I've seen so far. The rebounding is obviously scary considering what we're experiencing this season, but his offensive game is good enough to potentially play as a freshman.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Syracuse men's basketball postpones games vs. Lehigh, Cornell due to COVID-19

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/syracuse_mens_basketball_postpones_games_vs_lehigh_cornell_due_to_covid_19/s1_13132_36747791?fbclid=IwAR2grpP5VN3Fxw63XyB350QHgVYitvYNFnTwOpaJFyeAX054nISzRMGfl68

I wish the Bonnies would have postponed their last game with Virginia Tech.......LOL.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:11 PM, B-Man said:

Syracuse men's basketball postpones games vs. Lehigh, Cornell due to COVID-19

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/syracuse_mens_basketball_postpones_games_vs_lehigh_cornell_due_to_covid_19/s1_13132_36747791?fbclid=IwAR2grpP5VN3Fxw63XyB350QHgVYitvYNFnTwOpaJFyeAX054nISzRMGfl68

I wish the Bonnies would have postponed their last game with Virginia Tech.......LOL.

Yeah, here we go again! My teams next two games have been postponed. Just hoping we can manage patching together a successful season. This shuffling games and missing players makes it hard to tell what kind of team you really have.