Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Justin Taylor will be joining Quadir Copeland at IMG for their senior seasons.  Love it 😊 

I know some are down on Copeland but he is crazy creative... 

And it's not reckless either it's pretty controlled... Get him to work with Jim and GMac and he will learn alot 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know some are down on Copeland but he is crazy creative... 

And it's not reckless either it's pretty controlled... Get him to work with Jim and GMac and he will learn alot 

Based on the stuff I saw from Copeland this summer, I’m as high on him as I’ve ever been.  He has a very well rounded skill set and improved immensely as a ball handler.  He’s also a 6’6” kid with room to grow into his frame.  A year at IMG with elite coaching, facilities and competition will also surely help his development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Kamari Lands decommits 😢

Full court press now on Dominic Barlow and Chris Bunch 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honestly, not a bad move by Lands. I don’t think he even visited Syracuse. I’d rather him made a fully informed decision and have no regrets, as opposed to pulling a last-second Bazley type move. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Honestly, not a bad move by Lands. I don’t think he even visited Syracuse. I’d rather him made a fully informed decision and have no regrets, as opposed to pulling a last-second Bazley type move. 

Yeah, smart move by him for the dollars 💵.  I don’t blame him one bit.

He wants a recruitment with NIL in place.  Turning NCAA recruitment into more of a meat market.  Forget the G-League idea for high level prospects, now they can make 6 figures by choosing the school that offers the best marketing/exposure.

Same reason Chance Westry has wanted to play for Cuse all his life, but is going to commit to a school like LSU or Bama.

Sweet 😒

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, smart move by him for the dollars 💵.  I don’t blame him one bit.

He wants a recruitment with NIL in place.  Turning NCAA recruitment into more of a meat market.  Forget the G-League idea for high level prospects, now they can make 6 figures by choosing the school that offers the best marketing/exposure.

Same reason Chance Westry has wanted to play for Cuse all his life, but is going to commit to a school like LSU or Bama.

Sweet 😒

it’s the new college basketball! The teams that can recruit these guys with a solid “marketing” plan are going to land the best players. It’s going to take a whole different type of recruiting strategy. 

41 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it’s the new college basketball! The teams that can recruit these guys with a solid “marketing” plan are going to land the best players. It’s going to take a whole different type of recruiting strategy. 

Doesn’t mean I have to like it.  Going to be the downfall of major college sports, IMO.  Schools like Syracuse just can’t compete with the likes of these colossal SEC/BIG10/PAC12 schools.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe a time is coming soon that the NCAA will be forced to make institutional changes to catch up with what is happening with the NIL.  Feels like they are still stuck in the late 80's with their policies when college athletics has basically become a AAA feeder league for pro sports.  At least they have begun to acknowledge what it actually is, but why not fully embrace it and change the structure to fit what has been happening for decades?

9 hours ago, tempaccount said:

I believe a time is coming soon that the NCAA will be forced to make institutional changes to catch up with what is happening with the NIL.  Feels like they are still stuck in the late 80's with their policies when college athletics has basically become a AAA feeder league for pro sports.  At least they have begun to acknowledge what it actually is, but why not fully embrace it and change the structure to fit what has been happening for decades?

Nope, the NCAA is powerful enough to just continue to do what they are doing.

There are enough players out there that will play in the NCAA.  College BB in particular would be better if the best kids didn't go to it.  College BB is missing the days of getting to know the kids and creating rivalries for 4 years.   A single best player playing in the league, doesn't mean the league is better to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, inkman said:

Cuse lands 2022 seven footer.

This one is huge.  Not that he’s an elite talent, but we just need height and athleticism in the middle of the zone.  This kid needs to do work in the weight room, but he’s tremendously athletic and a competitor.

• Like (+1) 2

Saw the 210# figure and kind of cringed.  Hopefully he can add some bulk

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This one is huge.  Not that he’s an elite talent, but we just need height and athleticism in the middle of the zone.  This kid needs to do work in the weight room, but he’s tremendously athletic and a competitor.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha— not buying that at all. 

Nah, I’m not buying this either...well not completely anyway.  I have, however, heard this criticism of Boeheim before.  Increasingly, he has become less “hands on” with recruiting which can be a turn off for some recruits.

My understanding is that the desire to part ways was somewhat mutual between Prince Dior and the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Nah, I’m not buying this either...well not completely anyway.  I have, however, heard this criticism of Boeheim before.  Increasingly, he has become less “hands on” with recruiting which can be a turn off for some recruits.

My understanding is that the desire to part ways was somewhat mutual between Prince Dior and the coaching staff.

the reality is he is 76 years old. He’s not going to be snap chatting with these 17-year old kids. He’s probably dictating emails in 16-point font at this stage in life.  Maybe that will cause him to lose some guys, but not sure there’s anything to be done about it. 

I just finished reading the new Carmelo memoir. It was decent in parts, but too much ghost writing and was way too surfacy in parts where they could have really fleshed it out. It’s like they rushed to put the book out. 

One of the few interesting Syracuse tidbits is that Carmelo was coming back to Syracuse for his sophomore year. He met with Boeheim, and Boeheim basically said “over my dead body— you are going pro now” (though in much more direct and vulgar words). 

The other sort of interesting tidbit from Syracuse was that he roomed with Edelin, and Edelin had a little

community of friends in the Pioneer Projects in Syracuse. Carmelo ended up hanging there and really being part of that community.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Couldn’t see the opening game due to it only being on some weird channel. Looked like we shot the ball well. Anyone catch it? 

Definitely a loaded offensive team.. have 4 guys who can really shoot it and spread the floor 

Jesse Edwards looking prime for a big year ... I like the squad alot 

Of course there will be people who will be complaining about losing Richmond.. but Joe looks primed

He's a stud

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely a loaded offensive team.. have 4 guys who can really shoot it and spread the floor 

Jesse Edwards looking prime for a big year ... I like the squad alot 

Of course there will be people who will be complaining about losing Richmond.. but Joe looks primed

He's a stud

Thanks! I was just able to fast forward thru a decent amount of the replay on the ESPN app just now.  I am loving Edwards and I thought Anslem actually looked very good too. I am thinking that Swider is an upgrade for this team over Guerrier. 

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thanks! I was just able to fast forward thru a decent amount of the replay on the ESPN app just now.  I am loving Edwards and I thought Anslem actually looked very good too. I am thinking that Swider is an upgrade for this team over Guerrier. 

Swider wasn't great from deep today but not worried about that at all 

The kid can stroke it from deep  

Anslem has been called the most improved player per boehiem 

• Like (+1) 1

Cuse hammers Drexel.  Lots of contributions.  Jesse Edwards might be the biggest surprise.  He barely looked like he understood the game last season.  He’s turned into a force in the paint. Swider is a legit threat and TBD’s favorite son JGIII set a Cuse record for 3 pointers made to start a season.  I believe he’s 8-8 at this point.  I hope Boeheim (coach) engaged Benny enough to keep him out of the transfer portal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very promising start, especially from Girard who is finally playing like the shooter that he was billed as coming out of high school. I'll be more of a believer when we start doing it against better teams, but I think any reasonable person would be very happy with the start we've had so far.

I don't know when I'll get around to really doing my deep dives on the incoming recruits, but now that they've signed their letters of intent, I'll probably start trying to dive in when I have time.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, inkman said:

Cuse hammers Drexel.  Lots of contributions.  Jesse Edwards might be the biggest surprise.  He barely looked like he understood the game last season.  He’s turned into a force in the paint. Swider is a legit threat and TBD’s favorite son JGIII set a Cuse record for 3 pointers made to start a season.  I believe he’s 8-8 at this point.  I hope Boeheim (coach) engaged Benny enough to keep him out of the transfer portal. 

I Don't think anyone is considering entering the portal 2 games in .. let alone the lone recruit in a class who will get maximum coaching

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Jimmy Boeheim has impressed me, as well as Swider, and the big men (Edwards and Anselem) they aren’t just guys that take up space on the offensive side that we usually have lol

Buddy developing his game at becoming more than just a 3 shooter 

Jimmy is a super crafty shot creator. I love how assertive he has been too. That said, the big irony given his dad, is that he is the weak link on defense. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I do think JB needs to get Benny a lot more minutes here, especially in the early games. He really needs the PT if he is going to contribute in conference play.

Right. I’m just worried Boeheim is gonna stick to the upper class men when the schedule gets tough and push Benny to the portal. 

On 11/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, inkman said:

Right. I’m just worried Boeheim is gonna stick to the upper class men when the schedule gets tough and push Benny to the portal. 

Just because it's happened with some players doesn't mean it's going to happen with all them 

Every single recruit knows what they're getting into when they come to play under boehiem... Some think they can handle it and can't 

Most suck it up and get better

Benny is super talented, but is not a big offensive threat right now.. he has a flat jump shot and needs to learn how to score in college

He is a threat on the defensive side of the ball and Jim will find minutes for him in the rotation.. but he's not going to go to somewhere in the portal and start scoring 25 

He needs to work on his offense game